Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Kone 3rd Generation
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kone 3rd...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 7:52am
Subject: Re: Kone 3rd Generation

Ground slightly courser this morning for my 30g/480g brew and got the time down to 3:30. On the Kone box and on Twitter, Keith is recommending a 3:30 to 4:00 extraction time for this amount. While the coffee does not taste over-extracted with these times, I do feel that it mutes a lot of the brightness in favor of a more heavy body. I'm drinking SM's Dry Process Worka Sakaro and these long extractions are dulling the more lively fruity notes of the coffee. It's still a very tasty brew with little to no sediment...just I prefer to end the brew at 2:45.

My Preciso is being delivered on Monday. I'm still using a Capresso Infinity until then. With the Infinity I can't grind much courser than I am right now without significantly increasing the amount of fines produced. I feel pretty confident that the Preciso will solve this dilemma thus enabling me to achieve my 2:45 sweet spot. :)

I just want to reiterate how clean of a cup V3 produces. I was expecting a reduction in sediment from the previous version but I'm truly blown away by JUST how much of a reduction there is. I still have to leave a tiny sliver of sediment-laden coffee in the bottom of the Chemex after pouring, but after that the cup is drinkable to the last sip. With V2 I would still have a fair amount of sediment at the bottom of my cup even after letting it settle in the Chemex and not pouring the last bit.
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 8:09am

Favor: would someone please post a pic of the gen.-3 Kone in a Clever? You all are making me curious about this filter, which I'd been trying hard to ignore--"...don't have a Chemex, la la la (fingers in ears)..."
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 8:29am

jbviau Said:

Favor: would someone please post a pic of the gen.-3 Kone in a Clever? You all are making me curious about this filter, which I'd been trying hard to ignore--"...don't have a Chemex, la la la (fingers in ears)..."

Posted August 17, 2012 link

Here ya go. I was planning on doing some experiments with the Kone and Clever in the coming days. It fits, but the lip of the Kone extends past the top of the CCD slightly. I don't think this will be much of an issue..the top rests nicely on the Kone.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/EvanOz85/001-2.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/EvanOz85/002.jpg

With the top on:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/EvanOz85/003.jpg
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 8:46am

Thanks! That's a better fit than I'd expected (wasn't sure re: the bumper before). I'll be interested to hear about the results of your experiments.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 9:08am

I'll get started on that on Monday when my Preciso comes in. At this point I feel like I'm almost wasting coffee every time I use the Infinity.

Maybe a side by side comparison between V2 and V3 in the Clever.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Sat Aug 18, 2012, 4:08pm

Got a 2:45 extraction today with a lovely City roast Guatemala Antigua. Best cup I've had yet from V3 and, again, sediment free.

I'm interested to hear what brewing times you guys are preferring with the Kone?
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:39am

Here is what it looks like in a Hario V60-2.

EricBNC: IMG_1514 500.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 1:34am

EricBNC Said:

Here is what it looks like in a Hario V60-2.

Posted August 19, 2012 link

hahah i left my stickers on my v60 for months before i decided to scratch them off.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 4:47pm

After using the Kone with the Preciso (Setting 17.5) and getting a 3.5 minute extraction, I take back what I said about 2:45 for 30/480g tasting best to me. I believe this was due to the fact that my Infinity grinder produced a significant amount of fines and that they greatly overextracted past 2:45. The 3.5 min brew was just perfect. Got a ton of playing around to do!
craftydeer

Espresso: Moka Pot
Grinder: Hario Mini-Mill
Drip: Chemex, Aero-Press, Single...
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 3:00pm

Hello Everyone,

I got my kone v3 a couple days ago, and for the most part have been totally loving it. It took a few brews to adjust and develop a method that worked well, so I just thought I would share my experiences here.

Problem #1 It was taking waaaaay too long for the water to pass through the grinds
Problem #2 At the end of the brew, the water wasn't fully draining through the grinds
Problem #3 Too much in the way of suspended solids in the finished cup

It wasn't really an issue of grind size. I tried from medium to medium course and still experienced these problems.

--------------
SOLUTION for all of these problems!

I got in touch with Able, who, FYI, were very fast, kind and helpful, and most of the advice they provided were things I knew about and was already doing, except for one POUR SLOWLY.

Typically, with a paper filter, I pour with a steady stream of water (about as fast as the water can come out of a Hario pouring kettle) until the water is about one inch away from the top, let it run through a bit, top it off, let it run down... repeat, etc...

Able recommended that I pour VERY slowly, as in there should be a steady, consistent stream coming out of the kettle that is equal to the amount of water dripping from the kone keeping the water level in the kone equal the entire time until you've reached your water weight.

This solved all my problems. My thinking is that, in pouring slowly and gently it disturbs the grinds much less, if at all, and doesn't agitate the grinds and force any fines out towards the wall of the filter (which either clogs it up or goes into your coffee).

The resulting brew was smooth with almost no fines in the cup, with all the tasty oils that paper sucks out. :)

---
BREW BABY!
Chemex w/ Able Kone v3 & Aeropress w/ Able Fine Disk
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kone 3rd...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316881895065)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+