Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 47 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 11:28am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

While I am absolutely loving my VARIO grinder, for drip coffee using paper filters (not the gold filter), you can make perfectly good coffee grinding in a whirly blade grinder. No, it doesn't produce a consistent grain-size and some of each batch will be ground too fine, but that's not a huge deal with paper filters since none of that gets thru the filter anyway.

It would certainly be far better to use a blade grinder and whole beans than to buy your coffee pre ground. I actually think that grinding whole beans just before you brew is probably the biggest single thing you can do to improve quality.

I have a KitchenAid blade grinder that I really like -- mostly because the bin is removable for easy washing. With a piece of plastic wrap over thet top of the container, it also makes a terrific spice grinder (which is what mine is doing full-time now).

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

If you want to spring for a decent burr grinder, fantastic. Just get a decent one. I had a cheapo for years that was just a mess to use.

---------------

As for coffee beans, the only Starbucks beans I buy are the new "blonde" roasts. Their House Blend is drinkable, but still pretty burned for an every day coffee, IMO. I'm a fan of Dunkin Donuts beans as a consistent, low cost option. $8.99 a pound, with specials like 2 for $13.99, that make it very inexpensive. Better, at the same or lower price, than anything decent in the grocery store.

The fresh roasted Columbian (roasted a week ago now) that came with my Brazen is certainly better coffee, but the DD beans (stale though they may be) brewed a very good cup of coffee in the Brazen.
 View Profile Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 2:01pm

Talk about withdrawal....all that wait to do calibration and 1 cup to then have to leave poor Gort by its lonesome for 4 days while I travel and have cruddy coffee haha. Oh well, more testing when I get back :O)
brazen1

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 2:18pm

I'm trying all sorts of things. I just had the BraZen brew one 14 ounce travel mug of coffee. Started with just under 16 ounces of water. 21 grams of fine drip grind beans. Regular automatic cycle, but I used two Melitta filters to slow the process down -- there's no risk of overflowing the filter with that small amount of coffee/water. Brewed it right into the carafe.

1:30 presoak. Then, it did four 15/15 cycles to brew with the fourth one really just to let the water finish draining into the carafe.

Not bad at all.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 2:29pm

Dam!, & your were so looking foward to getting at it after work Adam.., but how was the one cup?

It can't really do less than 20 oz as a drip brew, so I guess you did a manual release of water like a pourover or somesuch?, just curious.

P.S. Webb, I was composing this post so I therefore couldn't/didn't see your post., after I posted this.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
brazen1

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 2:59pm

It didn't seem to have any problem with the temperature ramp with 16 ounces of water. Of course, that's almost up to the calibration line.

With the water that low, it's not dumping the full 5 ounces per  release into the grinds. Counting the pre-soak, it took four 15 second releases to dump all the water. With it dribbling that slowly, I'm not it's really all that different from a manual pour over. The big issue is probably the lack of depth in the grinds, but coverage must be sufficient for it to work. I'm looking forward to trying this approach with a cone to get a little more depth to the grinds.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 3:05pm

Nice! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 8:18pm

how many cleanings did you find you guys needed before the skunky smell went away?  I brewed a batch of coffee after the first initial cleaning and ended up dumping the pot because of the obvious plasticy taste.

since then, ive run about 8 cleaning reservoirs of water and im still getting quite a bad smell when i open the top lid and smell in the reservoir.  i havent tried brewing another batch of coffee because im afraid i'll just end up with a ruined pot of plastic tasting coffee.
66360darren

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM Giotto/La Marzocco GB5
Grinder: Baratza/Mazzer Robur E/ Kony...
Vac Pot: YAMA
Drip: Chemex/ Clever
Roaster: Behmor,Diedrich
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 8:40pm

Just received my unit today from Idrinkcoffee with no issues. Fast shipping and it was free, can't beat that. It was packed well but also easy to remove from the box. I ran 3 or 4 cycles just playing around then did the calibration. I ground approx 50 g of Finca Kilamenjaro natural process with 6 cups of water at 201 with 15 seconds pre wet. Simple as that. Coffee flavor was excellent and seems to bring out some nice bright notes. My Chemex 6 cup fits perfectly and my 8 cup fits with my Coava filter. It's going to be lots of fun. Up next: 90 plus coffee Nekisse in the Chemex as a pour over. The new brewer smell seemed to be gone after i brewed the first pot of coffee.
javafool

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm, Hario pourover
Roaster: Hottop (x2)
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 4:09am

frank828 Said:

how many cleanings did you find you guys needed before the skunky smell went away?  I brewed a batch of coffee after the first initial cleaning and ended up dumping the pot because of the obvious plasticy taste.

since then, ive run about 8 cleaning reservoirs of water and im still getting quite a bad smell when i open the top lid and smell in the reservoir.  i havent tried brewing another batch of coffee because im afraid i'll just end up with a ruined pot of plastic tasting coffee.

Posted October 5, 2012 link

I am noticing the same off plastic flavor and smell that you describe. Hopefully it will go away over a short time. I think I will run some vinegar through it in hopes that will help.
The only other thing I don't like is the water mess from the big lid. It is difficult to open it without getting water all over the brewer and countertop. The Brazen really is a state of the art brewer. I think I can learn to handle the lid so I minimize the water mess.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
t3chiman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: hand
Drip: Brazen
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 5:05am

frank828 Said:

how many cleanings did you find you guys needed before the skunky smell went away?

Posted October 5, 2012 link

There's a definite melted plastic aroma to the Brazen out of the box. I ran 6 pots of tap water through it before I got antsy and brewed up some of the included Willoughby's. I learned a couple of things in the process:
1. If you fill the reservoir to the 8-cup mark, the carafe will overflow with hot water. Bottom of the "C" in "Cups", that's as high as you can go with no coffee grounds to soak up the water.
2. It takes some time for the outgassing to run its course. First couple of pots are going to suffer.

Overall, it's a nice unit. I retired a Braun to make room for it. I found it was brewing about 18F cooler than the Brazen. That alone makes a big difference.
showing page 47 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282011032104)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+