Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 56 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 2:39pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

germantownrob Said:

I had some time to kill while drinking a cup so I ran some tests on the temp in the reservoir, wow. The first test I did 210f with the lid off, this did not go well, the lid does need to be on to retain heat in the reservoir and my elevation is at 290ft so my boil point is just over 210f, needless to say the temp dropped a lot during the brew cycle. Next test was set for 201f and the lid was placed but not locked leaving a small gap where the probe went in, the temp fluctuated from 200.7f to 201.8f for the entire brew cycle, that is very stable IMO.

Really happy with this brewer!

Posted October 18, 2012 link

Rob... no factory would guarantee better than +/- 3% for temperature set point which for example at a set point of 200 meant it could be anywhere from 194-206. Like playing horseshoes, with a toss in the cornfield being acceptable.

I told the assembly plant I'd risk a shit pot full of money but they they had to follow our advice, all programming to include the calibration technology we'd developed and we'd easily eclipse 3, more likely 1% or better.

The data you show is under 1/2 of 1% for sub $200 brewer that is to set point, control and maintenance.

And we ain't done innovating. Sunday I'm off for two weeks to decompress because these last 4 years have drained my tanks but when I'm back we'll be full steam ahead on new goodies.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 2:44pm

tahoejoe Said:

And we ain't done innovating. Sunday I'm off for two weeks to decompress because these last 4 years have drained my tanks but when I'm back we'll be full steam ahead on new goodies.

I'm absolutely thrilled with my BraZen Joe!, & I can only dream & imagine what's in store coming down the pipe!!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 3:19pm

Joe, ditto for me. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 4:23pm

Anybody have some decaf brew temps they like? The Brazen and over excitement has led to over caffeination this has not deterred me from brewing another pot but it is decaf. I roast a lot of decaf for family but have never sampled very much of it, it has always tasted flat to me, the Brazen has raised my hopes to refine my roasting of decaf to its full potential. So in theory (since none of use actually drink the stuff) does decaf like higher or lower temps? And does decaf like the same grind as high test? My gut and my taste buds are telling me to grind a bit finer.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 4:53pm

germantownrob Said:

Anybody have some decaf brew temps they like? The Brazen and over excitement has led to over caffeination this has not deterred me from brewing another pot but it is decaf. I roast a lot of decaf for family but have never sampled very much of it, it has always tasted flat to me, the Brazen has raised my hopes to refine my roasting of decaf to its full potential. So in theory (since none of use actually drink the stuff) does decaf like higher or lower temps? And does decaf like the same grind as high test? My gut and my taste buds are telling me to grind a bit finer.

I honestly can't answer but will ask a friend w/ shops what he sets his equipment at, back shortly

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 5:07pm

I tried out my Brazen this morning with my Bunn 10 cup filters that I have left over from my old Bunn BTX Thermofresh coffee maker.  The filters are a bit tall, but after I rinsed it in the filter basket, it fit without problems.  I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the Bunn filters for the Brazen, but it's nice to know that they'll work since I have most of a box left.

I think I'll have to brew a few more pots with paper filters before I make any judgements about it.  I've really enjoyed the pots with the metal filter and this pot seemed to be lacking something but it was also my least favorite coffee of all the roasted coffee that I have on hand right now so there's that.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 6:14pm

tahoejoe Said:

I honestly can't answer but will ask a friend w/ shops what he sets his equipment at, back shortly

I really appreciate that Joe! Take your time, you deserve some time to kick your feet up and relax. For the first time I have a brewer I can and will recommend, this is a brewer I hope gets into WS and/or B&B and you can keep creating until your hearts content.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 7:39pm

Rob.. spoke with Barry from Roastmasters / Willoughbys Coffee here is what he offered:

"As to temp I think the higher the temp the more of everything that is extracted - positive and negative qualities. There are so many different decafs that it makes no sense to generalize. A cleanly prepared water decaffeinated Sumatra would have different guidelines then some chemically processed brazil. In other words no rule of thumb that I see".

www.behmor.com

germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 8:35am

Has anybody achieved 1/2 pots to taste as good as full pots? I ground a few clicks finer then Kosher salt consistency and it improved but side by side there is still a big difference, don't get me wrong, my half pots have been very enjoyable.
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 8:40am

I use paper filters for less than full pots to slow the flow and increase steep time while keeping one notch courser than kosher salt
showing page 56 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328120946884)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+