Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Able Disk Fine Filter Winners?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Able Disk Fine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:22pm
Subject: Re: Able Disk Fine Filter Winners?

EvanOz85 Said:

To be clear: The filter goes lable side facing up, correct?

Posted April 13, 2012 link

Not sure I understand why this would make any difference...
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 2:22am

EvanOz85 Said:

Will be testing mine in the morning.

To be clear: The filter goes lable side facing up, correct?

Posted April 13, 2012 link

I know on the older versions the holes were cone shaped so label up was recommended - these things are so thin I wonder if the hole is still cone shaped enough to make a difference - I load mine label up out of habit anyway : )

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 8:04am

Tom Owen's pictorial shows it being used with the label down (i.e., away from the grinds).
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 9:25am

I sent a message to Keith at Able asking about this and will report back. +1 to what Eric said re: the previous version of the DISK. Tom's not the Pope! ;)
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 2:29pm

(I got the chance to try out the Finetoday. I'm waiting for my home roasted Ethiopian's to rest, so I used a three day post-roast "Austin's Little Colony Blend" from The Coffee Dog outside Austin, TX that I picked up on the way home from a trip this week. It's a blend of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Sumatran Mandheling, and Nicaraguan Jinotega.

I followed Brandon Weaver's recipe to a T. (Click Here (usaeropress.tumblr.com))

While I take great pride in my coffee brewing and roasting, I'll admit that my grinder is not really geek-worthy. I have a Capresso Infinity, but since I don't make espresso it really has served me well.

I ground on the middle of the Fine setting, and after following the directions I ended up with a perfectly extracted full bodied cup. The body was obviously much fuller than the paper filters, however it was ABSOLUTELY cleaner and juicer than what I got from the original DISK filter. The mouthfeel is like what I would imagine the Kone would produce when used in that full immersion device that Able is about to debut. It was clean like a Kone brew, but had the nice body typical of a full immersion brew.

Even though I'm using a Capresso grinder, I am *delighted* to say that there was almost ZERO sediment at the bottom of my cup. In fact, I was able to take the last sip of the coffee and I only noticed a very slight, negligible, silty feeling. The last sip from the DISK reminded me of the first sip from a French press. With the Kone, original DISK, and other non-paper filtered methods, I am never able to take that last sip. I found this to be a very satisfying feeling :)

I'm not really able to pick out different flavor examples in coffee, but I did notice that the D-Fine seemed to bring out a really nice chocolate syrupy aspect in this coffee that I felt was someone muted when prepared other ways.

Cleanup was a cinch..quick rub with a sponge and soap left all of the holes unblocked and ready for the next cup.

I do have a question though. Does anyone else have slight deformations on their Fine? There are two "lines" of bending across the metal of mine that are very noticeable any way you look at it. I doubt it's going to cause any issues...but I'm wondering if it's just a product of the manufacturing?

I'll be writing more on the D-Fine very soon. The cup was so delicious and clean that I will not be wanting to use anything else anytime soon. Bravo Able!!
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 6:08pm

EvanOz85 Said:

I do have a question though. Does anyone else have slight deformations on their Fine? There are two "lines" of bending across the metal of mine that are very noticeable any way you look at it. I doubt it's going to cause any issues...but I'm wondering if it's just a product of the manufacturing?

Posted April 14, 2012 link

Nope! Would you mind posting a pic?
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 10:32pm

Like I said, it's a pretty obvious crease.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg232/EvanOz85/001-1.jpg
AbleBrewingEquipment
AbleBrewingEquipment

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 7:21pm

Hello all.

To answer some questions:

TEXT DIRECTION: The specified hole size is on the text side. So this means that side should be touching the coffee. The other side would be the "exit" side.

BENDING/WAVES in DISK-Fine: Mine has done the same thing that Evan's has. I think this is because the metal is so thin on this fine version. This is my biggest concern with it. The current version seems like it will last forever or be really difficult to damage. Almost like you would intentionally need to bend it. With the fine the life span is yet to be seen. Although I think when locked into the AeroPress and in use those "waves" wouldn't affect the brewing. I am interested to see how the 100 hold up.

Glad the few I have heard from are enjoying it.

If you have any questions, fire away.

Again if you didn't receive one of these filters and want to try one. I will have a limited supply at SCAA.

Cheers,
Keith
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 8:30pm

Thanks, Keith, and welcome. I've been posting my impressions over on HB. Mine's holding up well, i.e. no bending/waves. Impressive!
AbleBrewingEquipment
AbleBrewingEquipment

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 8:40pm

That's great!

And a reminder if you didn't catch it. Prima will also be selecting one recipe submitted that will appear on the instruction card of the new disk. It will list the persons name on the card. They will receive a handful of production units with packaging to keep and gift to friends. AND as a thanks a gold plated disk filter.

Thanks again all!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Able Disk Fine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329417228699)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+