Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Able Disk Fine Filter Winners?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Able Disk Fine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 9:15pm
Subject: Re: Able Disk Fine Filter Winners?

AbleBrewingEquipment Said:

That's great!

And a reminder if you didn't catch it. Prima will also be selecting one recipe submitted that will appear on the instruction card of the new disk. It will list the persons name on the card. They will receive a handful of production units with packaging to keep and gift to friends. AND as a thanks a gold plated disk filter.

Thanks again all!

Posted April 15, 2012 link

any way i can pay to have a filter sent to me?  i use an aeropress everyday at work and would love to give it a try and it would be impossible for me to go to the SCAA event.
 View Profile Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 5:52am

I was really hoping to get in on the 100, but I wasn't chosen. I'm dying over here, waiting for either

a) Kone v3
b) Kone "one-cup"
c) Disk fine

Been waiting for quite a while for one of those... anyway, if one of you lucky jokers is going to SCAA, it's a batch of home-roasted coffee + whatever it costs you to send one my way.

--Josh
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:56am

I've noticed most of the recipes online for Aeropress really updose the coffee, so I just now decided to use my standard 1.77g per Oz that I use with pretty much everything else to see how it would turn out.

15.6g of Coffee Dog's "Bastrop Blend", 250g of water. I'm not going to bother with saying the temperature because between the temp loss in the kettle, temp loss in pouring, and temp loss as it hits the grounds...it's really difficult to communicate.

Inverted. Added 100g, stirred, waited for the bloom to deflate. Added the rest, capped. I let it steep longer since I was using a lower b/w ratio, so I flipped and plunged at 2:00, finished plunge at 2:30.

Delicious cup with just as much body and flavor as when updosing with shorter brew times.

Why waste more coffee just to cut down on time? I'll be sticking with this method.
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 12:10pm

Cool. I agree with your logic pretty much. The persnickety answer to your question would probably make reference to the alleged temp. instability of the Aeropress, which people here and there advocate preheating. I haven't seen the need to do this, but if heat loss is a real problem with the Aeropress (again, I'm skeptical) then shortening the steep time would be one way of dealing with it.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 12:12pm

Starting with the water at the high end of the temp spectrum, I really don't think it's that big of a deal. In all honesty, after finishing the cup, I found I preferred it to the updosed versions.

I am still amazed at the lack of fines in my cup. I saw pictures of others brews where they got a decent bit of sediment with the Fine but I haven't experienced this at all. And I'm grinding pretty darn fine...almost V60 fine. I've gotten to the point where the last sip is nearly as clean as the first.
primacoffee
primacoffee

Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 11:41am

frank828 Said:

any way i can pay to have a filter sent to me?  i use an aeropress everyday at work and would love to give it a try and it would be impossible for me to go to the SCAA event.

Posted April 15, 2012 link

I hope this doesn't go against the site rules (moderators, please let us know and we'll remove this post immediately), but since you're specifically asking about purchasing the DISK Fine...

Able Brewing has officially announced that they will be putting the DISK Fine into production alongside of the standard DISK.  The DISK Fine has an estimated production and shipping date of sometime in June (though we'll know more as the time gets closer).  At this time, you can preorder the DISK Fine here.  Hope that helps.

Prima Coffee Equipment
http://prima-coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rlevine

Espresso: Izza Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baritza Virtuoso Preciso,...
Drip: Hario kettle, V60, Chemex
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 9:19am

EvanOz85 Said:

And I'm grinding pretty darn fine...almost V60 fine. I've gotten to the point where the last sip is nearly as clean as the first.

Posted April 17, 2012 link

you grind for aeropress finer than for V60 fine? i generally grind finer for the aeropress than i do for pour-over. somewhere between espresso and drip.

-Randy

--
www.snobcoffery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/rlevine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 5:16pm

rlevine Said:

you grind for aeropress finer than for V60 fine? i generally grind finer for the aeropress than i do for pour-over. somewhere between espresso and drip.

-Randy

Posted May 11, 2012 link

I grind finer for single servings (17oz for me) with the V60 than I do for an Aeropress with a Disk. Don't most people?
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Able Disk Fine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314927101135)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+