Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Do you REALLY need to brew full capacity in a Siphon pot?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Do you REALLY...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
johnnyb3

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 5:12am
Subject: Re: Do you REALLY need to brew full capacity in a Siphon pot?

EvanOz85 Said:

Not to sound rude, but neither of your replies have any relevance to my question. The drawdown is not an issue. My question pertains to the dilution of the brew.

Posted April 2, 2012 link

You asked whether one could brew less than a full pot. My reply was
> I have gone down to a half batch with no discernible ill effects.
How does that lack relevance??
 View Profile Link to this post
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 6:07am

EvanOz85 Said:

I'm not talking about brewing 12oz in a 40oz pot, but more like brewing say 16oz in a 24oz pot. Am I going to get too much dilution with that? Thanks!

Posted April 2, 2012 link

yakster Said:

Scott Rao in his book Everything But Espresso advises that you fill the lower chamber at least 2/3 full when using immersion times shorter than two minutes to ensure sufficient vacuum for a reliable draw-down.

Posted April 3, 2012 link

Hey that's the exact ratio OP's shooting for... time to roll the dice!
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 9:17am

^^In other words, 16oz would be the minimum recommended amount for a 24oz model.

Try it; it probably won't be lethal.

--Josh
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 7:44am

Bumping an old thread.

I used a Bodum Santos for over a year before purchasing a Yama 5-Cup. I purchased the 5-cup believing that the ratio of diluted water to coffee would be smaller, and since I mainly used the Santos for smaller amounts that this would be a better option.

However today it struck me to measure how much water was left in the bottom of each carafe once the water travels north just to see what kind of difference I was really getting.

Using a marker to mark the water levels on both pots after the rise, I then took them apart and filled the carafes with water to the lines I drew. I weighed them and much to my dismay the Yama left MORE water than the Santos!

Yama: 2.6oz
Bodum: 2.2oz

So now I feel a bit foolish for paying for the Yama at all..thinking it would yield a better cup. The Santos will always end up less diluted.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 7:58am

EvanOz85 Said:

Yama: 2.6oz
Bodum: 2.2oz

So now I feel a bit foolish for paying for the Yama at all..thinking it would yield a better cup. The Santos will always end up less diluted.

Posted June 20, 2012 link

So just use a little more coffee to compensate for that difference..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 8:08am

CraigA Said:

So just use a little more coffee to compensate for that difference..

Posted June 20, 2012 link

You're missing the point. It is constantly claimed that you should brew smaller amounts in smaller vacpots due to the dilution ratio. I've just shown that the dilution ratio is LOWER in one of the larger pots, so the pot capacity rule is not really true in all cases.

And I'm still of the opinion that using more coffee to combat is pointless, since the mixture at the top should be more concentrated before making the trip south.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 8:52am

I'm not missing the point & I know/hear what you're saying.

I've been using vac pots for 10 - 11 years & own the two pots you're talking about, in addition to about 15 more. Your remaining water amounts make sense, as I just a few minites ago measured the bottoms of the two pots.

The Santos bottom diameter is 4" versus 4" for the Yama. The diameters are greater farther up where the water line would be (more retained water) after the trip up North. The length/depth of the tube on the Yama is shorter also, resulting in more water in the bottom pot.

You Said: Yama: 2.6oz, Bodum: 2.2oz

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 8:56am

I am not sure what you are saying?

The Santos leaves less water than the Yama using the same amount of coffee on top. I also did test just eying where the tube extends to on both pots, filling the water to JUST below that level, and weighing it. The Santos leaves less.

What does the trip North have to do with it?
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 9:19am

One thing I have learned in my experience with coffee:  don't worry about "official" answers so much; the only thing that matters is if I like the resulting cup.  "There's extra water in the bottom... oh no!" "Water temps must be 195-205F!" "10g per 6oz of water!" etc. etc. etc., you hear.  Many of those dictums are made by people or groups who are supertasters (I am not), or by people who are splitting hairs in trying to find the best among many good choices.

The worry about this extra amount of water left in a siphon during the infusion is that it technically changes the ratio of brew water to grounds, and this can change the extraction.  Technically.  You either get a diluted optimal ratio brew, or a non-diluted non-optimal ratio brew.  I've never heard of anyone who tried with-vs-without in a double-blind test, but if you find one, let us know.  But this worry seems to me like an angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin type of thing.  For some people it may matter a lot; but for me there are too many variables in my coffee brewing so that type of thing gets lost in the noise.  I find joy instead in discovering what I like and making what I like happen.  I'd encourage the OP to experiment (say with marbles and without), and see if it matters to him.  If it doesn't, who cares... as long as he likes what he gets.  

I personally don't like acidic coffees-- so many Africans and even Central Americans are lost on me.  I can't distinguish fine nuances in Costa Rican vs. Brazilian.  Sometimes I don't have enough beans to cover the proper ratio for what I want to drink.  Sometimes I overroast, or the Behmor won't give me enough time.  My Aeropress temps are often below optimal-- GASP!  So what.  I gear what I make to what I like, and that's all I care about.

Donald Varona
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 9:23am

LOL!, yeah I don't let it worry me..  Evan, I just explained it another way (the trip up North) & remaining water is all, you explained it by filling up to where the water touches the bottom of each of the upper pots tubes, same thing..

showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Do you REALLY...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355006933212)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+