Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Would a Vario be "wasted" as a drip-only grinder, vs. maestro/virtuoso/preciso?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Would a Vario be...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 4:30am
Subject: Re: Would a Vario be "wasted" as a drip-only grinder?

VKirby Said:

The grind consistency exceeded my expectations, which is the most important thing.  Not as much with the build quality, but it would be tough to spend over twice as much for the vario after seeing how well the 586 performs. The vario's sliders & metal burr carrier would have been nice though.

overall I'm satisfied, & will not try to swap it out or immediately resell it for a vario. I think I made the right choice, for my purposes.

Posted April 4, 2012 link

I'm happy to hear that! The burrs in the Virtuoso are really nice and do an excellent job for manual brew methods and drip. Enjoy!
 View Profile Link to this post
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 7:11am

Sam21 Said:

I'm happy to hear that! The burrs in the Virtuoso are really nice and do an excellent job for manual brew methods and drip. Enjoy!

Thank you, I appreciate you guys steering me in the right direction- I only wish I could handle drinking more coffee than once a day now.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 8:33am

Sam21 Said:

I'm happy to hear that!

+1.

Why just one cup a day? ;) First-world problems, right? Cool gear and not enough time to use it...
VKirby

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 9:36pm

I always want to make more when I get home from work, but i'm a caffeine lightweight! Even decaff keeps me up somehow.
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 10:10pm
Subject: Would a Vario be "wasted" as a drip-only grinder, vs. maestro/virtuoso/preciso?

<--- Vario W + Ditting burr set user here.  

Couldn't be more impressed.  Jus say'n...

roast your own
Sisyphus1978

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Nesco/West Bend
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:48am
Subject: Would a Vario be "wasted" as a drip-only grinder, vs. maestro/virtuoso/preciso?

Apologies for bumping such an old thread, but I figured it was better than opening a new one for such a similar question.  Anyway, I bought the Virtuoso 586 about 5 or 6 months ago.  At the time I chose it because I didn't have any intentions on entering the espresso game; however, yup, you guessed it, I've since changed my mind about the espresso thing and just ordered a Gaggia.  Drip will still be my primary coffee of choice, and I'd rather not have 2 grinders to worry about, so a full replacement rather than an additional, espresso-only grinder isn't preferable.  I've done Google searches ad-nauseum and have seen several reports that the 586 works just fine for espresso, and I've seen numerous stating that the Preciso is the better option.  The endorsements for the Preciso really only cite the presence of the micro settings for it being superior to the 586, so I'm not too keen on spending over 200 for that upgrade which may or may not matter much.  Having stated that, is there anyone who's used both and can chime in on whether the Preciso would be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the cost?
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:55am
Subject: Re: Would a Vario be "wasted" as a drip-only grinder,

Sam21 Said:

That's a great point.

In this case though, the post was about a Vario being wasted as a drip only grinder. IMO (also based one much of what I have read), the Vario's drip and coarse grinds are less consistent when compared to grounds coming from the Preciso burrs (whether in a Preciso or Virtuoso). From that point of view, the user is much better off with a Virtuoso if they are only grinding for drip. The Vario wins in the espresso department with the ceramic burrs and sounds like it excels in the drip range with the metal burrs. As of now, there are no comparisons between the drip grinds with the metal Vario burrs and the Preciso burrs.

Personally, I have a Preciso with an Esatto attachment and couldn't be happier. The grind quality is fantastic. If I could go back to square one before I bought the Preciso, I would still choose the Preciso over the Vario with metal burrs simply because the added cost of the Vario + metal burrs does not justify the differences between the two machines for me. This is all personal preference. On the other hand, if someone is looking for a quality burr grinder, I would rather recommend a grinder like the Virtuoso or Vario (depending on the type of coffee they seek to make) than recommend a cheaper unit. That is unless the cheaper unit provides the same quality in the grounds.

I completely agree with you though. I went from a $30 hand mill to the Preciso more or less. I did my research, found the grinder that matched my needs, and didn't think twice about the price tag. If I had been looking for a grinder to do mainly espresso and some drip coffee here or there, I would have purchased a Vario or Vario W without hesitation. It's all an investment.

Posted March 29, 2012 link

+1 Here, nearly word for word. ..with the exception that I had the hand grinder and a Kitchenaid (oh I loved my KA - before I was schooled better! // still damn sexy lady though, ya know? )

Preciso+Esatto is hard to beat... unless... unless as the premise is made here, we're speaking of a significant 'savings' on investment - 0 - why then, an HG One sounds eminently reasonable doesn't it?  
(you note a bit of drool dribbling about the side of my mouth... I notice and smile weakly and say "Its ok, I know... I just can't help myself. )

-Chris

P.S. (I need to really really pay attention to post dates - and - read through to last posts to know what's really going on.... twenty years of this and you'd think I'd have a clue by now...) << Anyway >>
If I was 5 months out, and there were no warranty reasons driving a change - nah, no way... if, on the other hand.... all the above applies
Good Luck with that!
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 2:51pm
Subject: Re: Vario as a drip-only grinder, vs. maestro/virtuoso/preciso?

Sisyphus1978 Said:

Apologies for bumping such an old thread, but I figured it was better than opening a new one for such a similar question.  Anyway, I bought the Virtuoso 586 about 5 or 6 months ago.  At the time I chose it because I didn't have any intentions on entering the espresso game; however, yup, you guessed it, I've since changed my mind about the espresso thing and just ordered a Gaggia.  Drip will still be my primary coffee of choice, and I'd rather not have 2 grinders to worry about, so a full replacement rather than an additional, espresso-only grinder isn't preferable.  I've done Google searches ad-nauseum and have seen several reports that the 586 works just fine for espresso, and I've seen numerous stating that the Preciso is the better option.  The endorsements for the Preciso really only cite the presence of the micro settings for it being superior to the 586, so I'm not too keen on spending over 200 for that upgrade which may or may not matter much.  Having stated that, is there anyone who's used both and can chime in on whether the Preciso would be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the cost?

Posted February 3, 2013 link

I have both. The added adjustment for the Preciso is nice, but I find I can compensate by adjusting the dose and tamp with the stepped Virtuoso and get decent results. The additional steps on the Preciso are handy for micro-managing the shot when starting out - if the new Barista can keep the other coffee only variables (grind and tamp) consistent.

If I was buying from scratch I would buy the Preciso, but if I already had the new Virtuoso I would work on my dialing in technique to see what shots i could pull first.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 1:12am
Subject: Re: Would a Vario be "wasted" as a drip-only grinder,

MerleApAmber Said:

+1 Here, nearly word for word. ..with the exception that I had the hand grinder and a Kitchenaid (oh I loved my KA - before I was schooled better! // still damn sexy lady though, ya know? )

Preciso+Esatto is hard to beat... unless... unless as the premise is made here, we're speaking of a significant 'savings' on investment - 0 - why then, an HG One sounds eminently reasonable doesn't it?  
(you note a bit of drool dribbling about the side of my mouth... I notice and smile weakly and say "Its ok, I know... I just can't help myself. )

-Chris

P.S. (I need to really really pay attention to post dates - and - read through to last posts to know what's really going on.... twenty years of this and you'd think I'd have a clue by now...) << Anyway >>
If I was 5 months out, and there were no warranty reasons driving a change - nah, no way... if, on the other hand.... all the above applies
Good Luck with that!

Posted February 3, 2013 link

From what I have read the Vario is more consistent and less fines than the preciso in the drip range. The only area the preciso would be better is at the press range. But with the upgraded burrs the Vario Might pull even in press
VKirby

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 7:45am
Subject: Re: Would a Vario be "wasted" as a drip-only grinde

yeah a year later now the 586 has been working out great for me, with vac pot & auto drip (only).  Only nitpicks, static cling only when it's cold, otherwise none, & the timer knob occasionally falls off if you're not careful.  Couldn't ask for a more consistent grind though.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Would a Vario be...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358001947403)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+