Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 39 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
aberlucc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 1:11pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread

I just recently purchased the MB.  I measured just the water temp coming out of the brewer and it only registers between 163-164 degrees F.  Does that seem right?  It isn't hot enough for me.
 View Profile Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 5:04pm

What I would suggest is pre-heating the brew chamber by running a water-only cycle, then pre-heating your cup with the water from that cycle.

I tested this, and your temp should increase from about 165 to over 180.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
aberlucc

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 6:35am

Okay.  Thank you for the quick reply.  I will do that but it does seem a bit ridiculous that we pay $550 for a home coffee maker and we have to run a pre-heating cycle as well as heating the cup to get to 180 degrees.  I sent a note to Bunn customer service but haven't heard back.
sweaner
sweaner

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 9:48am

No, as it does brew at the proper temperature. There is nothing that the machine can do about the normal temperature drop that occurs.

-Scott
Thomas Jefferson
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 9:53am

aberlucc,

Start reading from the second post down and I hope this helps.

"Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread"

Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 8:51am

redkiosk Said:

UPDATED INFORMATION!

Initially, I was told that the air injection check valve located on the side of the brew chamber could not be removed. Like you, I was getting tired looking at that coffee residue encrusted check valve on the bottom of my recently-cleaned brew chamber and wanted to do something about it. Figuring that the check valve was press-fit into the hole like all the other check valves were, I was contemplating using one of those dental tool hooks, and from the outside, insert it into the valve, catch the inner lip and yank the darn thing out. Mine have been in for over 18 months and were pretty gross looking, to say the least, so the plan was to replace them if I got them out. I decided to run this idea past Amanda, who then passed me over to Bunn Technical Services. Lo and Behold, I was told that the side check valve CAN be replaced and the maintenance tool that comes with the Trifecta MB will do it. It worked like a charm for me and I replaced the side air injection valves (red) in all three of my brew chambers. Here's how it's done…

Remove the brew chamber filter screen.
Insert (from the inside) the end of the maintenance tool with 90º pin, into the hole for the side check valve.
Press that 90º pin against the check valve to move it outward.
Tap the black base of the brew chamber against your hand a few times to further loosen the check valve and move it down the hole and out the opening.

I used a narrow tubing brush to throughly clean the "tunnel" that the check valve sits into and then popped a new valve in. Use the end of the maintenance tool with the straight pin to seat the new check valve firmly in the tunnel.

BTW, I was also able to replace the check valve (red) on the bottom of the water reservoir. After removing the strainer from the water reservoir, use the end of the maintenance tool with the straight pin to push the valve out from the inside. It pops out with hardly any pressure for cleaning or replacement.

Hope this helps someone and take care!

Jim

Posted February 10, 2014 link

I did my 3 month clean today and was easily able to remove all check valves from the brew chambers and water reservoir.  I think before I was trying to remove them from the wrong side before and for some reason I just gave up.  There wasn't a lot of grime down there but it was nice being able to rinse out the brew chambers with really hot water and not having to worry about any sediment or anything else being stuck down where the check valves are.

The trifecta tool is great at everything it seems but removing the filter screens from the brew chamber.  I had to use a flat head screwdriver (and screwed up by using too small of one at first which stripped a little bit of the plastic mold where the flat slot is) to remove both filters screens from my brew chambers.  I tried several times with the trifecta tool but it apparently isn't strong enough to stay on and remove the screens very well (I've had success before but it wasn't ever easy).
Socalsteve

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 8:47am

Help!!!

In the press out stage, I get a loud hissing noise from the top of the brew chamber and it does not press out all the brewed coffee. Doesn't happen all the time and there is no consistency of when it will happen.

Any thoughts, suggestions or maintenance tips would sure be great as it's doing it about 50% of the time now and is very annoying. My girlfriend suggested getting an iCoffee machine.

Please help!!!

Thanks,

Steve
sweaner
sweaner

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 5:57pm

1. Dump Girlfriend, find one with a clue ;_)

2. Make sure that the top seal is clean, as well as the inside of the brew chamber. Some have reversed the top seal if it doesn't seal properly.

3. You can put a very small amount of Dow 111 on that seal.

4. Make sure that the lower black valve is working well, clean/replace if needed.

5. Send a Pic so I can definitively give advice on #1!

-Scott
Thomas Jefferson
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 6:37pm

Socalsteve Said:

Help!!!

In the press out stage, I get a loud hissing noise from the top of the brew chamber and it does not press out all the brewed coffee. Doesn't happen all the time and there is no consistency of when it will happen.

Any thoughts, suggestions or maintenance tips would sure be great as it's doing it about 50% of the time now and is very annoying. My girlfriend suggested getting an iCoffee machine.

Please help!!!

Thanks,

Steve

Posted April 9, 2014 link

Steve,

I can't help you with your girlfriend and the iCoffee, that's a problem WAY beyond me! But the hissing sound, maybe. Is the sound you hear near the end of the press-out? Are you getting "ppffft" at the very end? Are you brewing high altitude African coffee by chance? Mine has that problem A LOT with dense African coffee. When wet, the grinds tend to "snowball" and the resulting clumps occlude the filter screen. The Home version is designed to release pressure in the brew chamber (blow by the seal) at something like 5 PSI. This was necessary to get UL approval. The commercial version has a much higher release pressure. This is a documented issue with the Trifectas, especially with the home version and sometimes the commercial. Grinding slightly coarser tends to help the problem. I'd call Amanda and ask for a new shower head seal too. My problem continued with the new seal, but disappeared when I switched coffee. It wasn't until the third or forth African coffee did I realize it was the coffee and not the Trifecta. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
Socalsteve

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario-W...
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 6:59pm

sweaner Said:

Dump Girlfriend, find one with a clue ;_)

Make sure that the top seal is clean, as well as the inside of the brew chamber. Some have reversed the top seal if it doesn't seal properly.

You can put a very small amount of Dow 111 on that seal.

Make sure that the lower black valve is working well, clean/replace if needed.

Send a Pic so I can definitively give advice on #1!

Posted April 9, 2014 link

How do you reverse the top seal? Not sure I even know what a top seal is.

Lower black valve of what???

Thanks!

Steve
showing page 39 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319040775299)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+