Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 43 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Stuntgibbon

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue May 20, 2014, 8:56am
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread

Received it and set it up last night.  Tried a couple of trial runs, and look forward to more tinkering.  Not quite as good as I remember from having a commercial Trifecta brew, so probably need to do more fussing with grind and settings.  Flavors so far have been a little muddy or groundsy (probably not a term?), reminding more of a typical vacu or french press brew overall.  Probably need to coarse up the grind to find the sweet spot.

For the record I both had to make room on the counter top AND it came with a table.
 View Profile Link to this post
Stuntgibbon

Posted Tue May 20, 2014, 10:00pm

Coarser grind made a huge difference.
Stuntgibbon

Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 8:07am

So has anyone hacked one of these yet in order to duplicate more of the additional settings from the commercial controller? :)
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 7:48pm

^^^ Feel free to go for it and report back! There was some chatter here earlier about raising the MB's brew temp., which is apparently possible if you know what you're doing but might (according to Amanda @ Bunn via email a while back) cause issues with respect to regulations [I assume she meant those regulations governing home appliances].
Stuntgibbon

Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 12:27pm

Does anyone use turbulence A or B for anything that turns out well? Always seems like I'm leaving flavors behind.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 7:43pm

Stuntgibbon Said:

Does anyone use turbulence A or B for anything that turns out well? Always seems like I'm leaving flavors behind.

Posted May 25, 2014 link

I now regularly use the B setting, because it gives me a more complex cup of coffee. But my best example of benefitting from using A or B was when I tried Klatch Belle Espresso. At most turbulence settings, it had way too much cloying sweet caramel and smokey flavor. I really was starting to dislike it. Then I tried the A setting, and the coffee really shined, with stewed cherries, chocolate, toffee, and practically no smokiness. Both my wife and I were amazed at how that setting really transformed the coffee.

In general, the top two settings will underperform if you're grinding too coarse, overdosing, or using coffee that doesn't produce any noticeable acidity. I grind somewhere between drip and press, and I use no more than 25 grams.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 7:47pm

Let's do another one: Velton's Bonsai Blend. Definitely benefits from the B setting, which renders a bit more dimensionality. On the other hand, use D or E and you get a one dimensional coffee.

- Michael
Stuntgibbon

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 11:15am

Are you varying your times too on those?
barkingburro
barkingburro

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 1:40pm

Stuntgibbon Said:

Are you varying your times too on those?

Posted May 26, 2014 link

Nope. I have had it in my head that 50 seconds is best. Just plain laziness. Now, since I've verified that a large fraction of the flavor extracts during the last 10 seconds (during press-out), it might behoove me to see if moving the time of press-out forward might extract a better flavor profile.

Now I can't get it out of my mind. Guess I have to experiment now.

Thanks.

No, really, thanks.

That wasn't sarcasm. Ok, maybe just a bit.

- Michael
Stuntgibbon

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 6:12pm

barkingburro Said:

Nope. I have had it in my head that 50 seconds is best. Just plain laziness. Now, since I've verified that a large fraction of the flavor extracts during the last 10 seconds (during press-out), it might behoove me to see if moving the time of press-out forward might extract a better flavor profile.

Now I can't get it out of my mind. Guess I have to experiment now.

Thanks.

No, really, thanks.

That wasn't sarcasm. Ok, maybe just a bit.

Posted May 26, 2014 link

I've been stuck at 50 too, then flip flop between C and D.  C - 50 on a Kenyan (like from CQ) bean is pretty pretty amazing.
showing page 43 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29523396492)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+