Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 36 of 43 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JeffPersson
JeffPersson
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II & TWIST v2
Grinder: SM90, Preciso, Porlex, PeDe...
Vac Pot: Yama 8-cup
Drip: trifectaMB, HG, Chemex...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2011, 8:14am
Subject: Re: Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer

robertl Said:

Bunn is offering 30% off through their website use discount code PHASE30 brings the total for an HG to $69.99 with free shipping.

Posted November 20, 2011 link

Nice find. This code works on the HT as well and brings it down to $104.99

My wife plans to sign me up for the first season of Coffee Gadget Hoarders.
 View Profile Link to this post
EarlyStarts

Posted Thu Dec 1, 2011, 10:24am

I have had my Phase Brew HG for a month short of a year now.  Ordered from community coffee for $79.  Prior I used a water kettle to heat water and manually pour through a clever coffee cupper or hario funnel as this was the only affordable way to brew at the correct temperature.  Loved the phase brew from day one.  Brews at the right temperature and the coffee tastes great.  Had to grind a little finer at first to get tuned in.  

I turn it on when I get out of the shower and then go and get dressed.  Come back around 3 minutes or so later and grind 55 grams of my roasted beans and pop them in.  Finish getting ready and stop back when the carafe is around 3/4 full and I shut the machine off to shut off the burner.  Pull the brew basket when the stream turns into a drip.  Pour my wife and I our cups and the rest goes into my little thermos for the trip to work.  Works great.  On the weekend when we don't empty the pot right away, I change out the glass carafe with a Mr. Coffee thermal one that I picked up at Walmart for $10.  I have to take the lid off the thermal carafe while brewing or it won't fit.

The coating that is on the burner is starting to bubble off.  Not worried about that.  The spray head does not really spray but the brew basket fills up most the way and the grounds seem to get infused fine.  Perhaps I should try another spray head but a really wonder if it isn't fixing a problem that has zero impact on taste.

I always brew a full pot.  The thing is steamy and not silent.  It might leak a bit now and then.  The water lid thing might flex up a bit when it brews.  I am not concerned about any of this I just want great coffee.  Never had a CLE or any other issue with it.  I love my phase brew.  My biggest concern is that all the folks crying about it being loud or steamy or leaky will get this thing discontinued and if mine does die, I won't be able to get another one.
lotek

Grinder: De Longhi Burr
Drip: Bodum FP, Hamilton Beach,
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 8:34am

At just short of a year old I noticed the paint/finish on the warming plate of my HT was starting
to lift off. I contacted Bunn and as noted above within a few days had a replacement HT and a
shipping label to return the old unit.
3 weeks after plugging in the new machine I received the dreaded CLE error and the machine
stopped heating water.
I again contacted Bunn and was given a choice of a Velocity BT or another Phase Brew HT.
I love the coffee that the Phase produces but I'm just not too sure about the whole
design in regards to longevity etc.
Anyone have any thoughts on the Velocity BT?

Bunn service has been exemplary, unfortunately the product seems to be less so.

Marty
JoanneR

Grinder: Bodum
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Mar 10, 2012, 9:32am

Forgive me for using this topic to ask my question but I didn't want to review all of the posts to see if my concern is there.
I just became a member here because I am considering purchasing the Bunn HG Phase Brew and am concerned about
the many posts on Amazon about the carafe on this model leaking (dribbling is more accurate) when you pour the coffee.
Can anyone who reads this tell me if this is an ongoing problem or if it has, perhaps, been corrected?  I love my Chemex
but, for various reasons, want a new electric drip coffee maker and have chosen this one.  Thanks for any/all feedback.
I am not a coffee geek but I do love good coffee and am very particular about what I expect from a coffee maker, with
hot coffee being a priority.
wkearney99

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2012, 2:28pm

In other words, I only want my answer and am not prepared to learn more than that.  Not exactly the best way to make an introduction, sad to say.

I've got the HT and I can't quite pin down why but every so often the spout will end up allowing a bit of dribble back under the lip of it.  Don't know why and can't reliably repeat it.  Not enough to bug me but enough that I do wonder what's going on.  The upsides of hotter and better tasting coffee (albeit a little weaker) make it worthwhile.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Mar 10, 2012, 4:16pm

wkearney99 Said:

In other words, I only want my answer and am not prepared to learn more than that.  Not exactly the best way to make an introduction, sad to say.

I've got the HT and I can't quite pin down why but every so often the spout will end up allowing a bit of dribble back under the lip of it.  Don't know why and can't reliably repeat it.  Not enough to bug me but enough that I do wonder what's going on.  The upsides of hotter and better tasting coffee (albeit a little weaker) make it worthwhile.

Posted March 10, 2012 link

Sad to say, not the best way to welcome and encourage a newbie!  Have enough/too much caffeine today?

LMWDP # 010
wkearney99

Posted Sat Mar 10, 2012, 7:46pm

Prof Said:

Sad to say, not the best way to welcome and encourage a newbie!  Have enough/too much caffeine today?

Posted March 10, 2012 link

No.  But I did at least give an answer.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 6:27am

It seems that designing a spout that works properly takes rocket science. It is amazing how many carafes have this problem.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
jd2020
jd2020

Espresso: GS/3, Moka Pot
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso MT500, Melita cone
Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 7:47am

Welcome JoanneR. Perhaps you are new to forums in general, not just coffee geek. Telling the members you don't want to be bothered to review the history of a thread is a good way to attract some stern comments. I recommend you review the thread if you are really interested, then ask questions. Anyway, welcome to CG forums.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jd2020
jd2020

Espresso: GS/3, Moka Pot
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso MT500, Melita cone
Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 8:02am

What coffee ratios are people using for the HT/HG?  This morning I made a 30 cup pot and it was WEAK. Nearly undrinkable.  I had done quiet a bit of research and testing on the HT last year, but never got to posting my lengthy findings.  

Generally, what I found was that I needed to up-dose typical auto-drip amounts for the HT, and that making less than a full pot tended to result in weak coffee.  I suspect this is because the filter hole allows the brewed coffee-water to exit the basket quickly, minimizing the time the water is in contact with grounds. The problem is made worse the less coffee in the basket. Now Bunn probably needed to err on the side of caution to keep from having an overflow situation.  I recall thinking I would try to use some kind of gasket to restrict the draining flow from the basket. I never did for fear of overflow, but I"m really tired of wasting 50+ g of good coffee.

My typical brewing is 67g coffee to 1181g (40 oz) water. That is ok, but not really robust, and sometimes a bit weak depending on the coffee.
This morning I used 56g coffee to 946g (32 oz) water.  Undrinkable.

What are your experiences?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 36 of 43 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325297117233)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+