Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 4:59pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

Any new experience? I have been enjoying the machine. It certainly produces a wonderful coffee.

I have found that the only realistic way for me to clean the brew chamber is to rinse it out. I bang the side with my hand to loosen the coffee, then dump that into the drain. I then rinse it down. With a garbage disposal I have never had a clogging issue in the past, but I imagine if you had no disposal there could be issues.

This weekend I am going to try to reproduce the Trifecta experience with an Aeropress and a thermos. I will use the thermos to steep and agitate the grinds, then use the Aeropress for the press out.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
 View Profile Link to this post
BillH
BillH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LeLit PL41TQ-PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Vac Pot: PITA
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB, Krups Moka...
Roaster: 'Elaine' Custom Diedrich...
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 4:17am

sweaner Said:

Any new experience? I have been enjoying the machine. It certainly produces a wonderful coffee.

I have found that the only realistic way for me to clean the brew chamber is to rinse it out. I bang the side with my hand to loosen the coffee, then dump that into the drain. I then rinse it down. With a garbage disposal I have never had a clogging issue in the past, but I imagine if you had no disposal there could be issues.

Posted March 30, 2012 link

Definitely enjoying it. My middle boy proved that using a spoon I can loosen and remove just about all the grounds safely without damaging the brew chamber bottom screen/filter just leaving a small portion of grounds to wash down the sink. It's now a non issue and the whole cleaning process is less than a minute.

I'm personally experimenting with the grind I use. Seems the more coarse the better taste/extraction I'm getting.

The Trifecta has gotten to be popular in our household. Seems like so far it's up to the task.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 7:46am

sweaner Said:

This weekend I am going to try to reproduce the Trifecta experience with an Aeropress and a thermos. I will use the thermos to steep and agitate the grinds, then use the Aeropress for the press out.

Posted March 30, 2012 link

Awesome, I'd like to hear how your Aeropress expertise compares to the Trifecta.  Thanks.

LMWDP # 010
sweaner
sweaner

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 4:38pm

Recently I have been using turbulence setting "C" as it gives some turbulence after the initial 2 oz of water is added. I had noticed that if I use 35 grams of coffee, sometimes not all of the coffee is wetted after it is finished.

-Scott
Thomas Jefferson
mike01

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Vario-W
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Bunn Trifecta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 7:04pm

Just curious, does anybody know if the brew chamber is BPA-free?  I'm interested in this brewer and this would be reassuring to know.
mike01

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Vario-W
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Bunn Trifecta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 4:20pm

In case anybody else is wondering,  I called and spoke to Lisa at Bunn today. She confirmed that the brew chamber is not made of polycarbonate, which is the material that has been in the news which is notorious for leaching BPA. Instead it is made of a material called polysulfone. She said they can't claim that it is BPA-free, but it does not leach BPA.  Here's a quote I found she made about polysulfone in regards to component in a different brewer Bunn makes.

"Polysulfone contains, but does not leach BPA. Here’s the science lesson part (at least it was for me:). In polysulfone, the molecular structure is such that it doesn’t release components that are within it. When all the news hit about baby bottles and BPA, that was a different base material whose molecular structure more readily releases BPA.
To make sure, we had an outside lab test polysulfone using hot water and NSF/FDA guidelines. The test confirmed that polysulfone did not release BPA.
This may be way more info than you wanted, but thought it would be good to pass along. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

Anyways, hearing this was reassuring and I have a Trifecta on order. I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.
sweaner
sweaner

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 4:35pm

That is good to know. Here is something that I know: You will love the Trifecta.

-Scott
Thomas Jefferson
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 1:34pm

I worked for a while as designer for medical products. Polysulfone is a plastic commonly used for medical devices that are implanted IN the body. No worries that that stuff getting in your coffee. Take care!

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 2:16pm

I have a question for current owners. The owner's manual states that it comes with an extra brewing chamber. Does the extra chamber have the filter screen attached? My wife and I both drink a 10-12 oz cup in the morning and it would be nice not to have to clean out the chamber before making the second 12 oz cup. Take care!

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
BillH
BillH

Espresso: LeLit PL41TQ-PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Vac Pot: PITA
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB, Krups Moka...
Roaster: 'Elaine' Custom Diedrich...
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 4:42pm

redkiosk Said:

Does the extra chamber have the filter screen attached? My wife and I both drink a 10-12 oz cup in the morning and it would be nice not to have to clean out the chamber before making the second 12 oz cup. Take care!

Posted May 15, 2012 link

Yes it does.
showing page 4 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305270910263)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+