Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Confessions of a Brikka Lover
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 156 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
avramw

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 3:01pm
Subject: Re: Confessions of a Brikka Lover

Enkerli Said:

Welcome to our little thread, Avram!
But, as Emre says, even a 6c moka doesnít typically produce that much coffee. And itís using as much grounds as the equivalent quantity in filter coffee, so youíre not likely to get overcaffeinated from that amount.

Posted March 6, 2012 link

Thanks! I've been really enjoying it...

Doesn't the amount of caffein basically equal 6-shots of espresso?! That seems like a lot to me :)
 View Profile Link to this post
avramw

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 3:02pm

jpender Said:

Delonghi makes an electric 6 cup moka pot called the Alicia that comes with a basket adapter for making 3 cups.

That's it, that's where I saw that! I was going nuts trying to remember where I read that :)
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 3:28pm

avramw Said:

Doesn't the amount of caffein basically equal 6-shots of espresso?!

Nope.
Thought so for a while. But if you think about the amount of grounds you put in, relative to water volume, itís really like drip or siphon, or AeroPress, or even press pot. Even if youíre pushing the limits on the amount of grounds and cut the brew short so that itís denser, itís still closer to the concentration level of drip than to espresso. Six very weak single shots of espresso would would be, what, 42g of grounds for 6oz.? You have at least twice the volume for probably half the grounds.
Now, thereís some debate as to caffeine extraction levels in espresso. But a mug of drip coffee doesnít contain as much caffeine as six shots of espresso.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
kbuzbee
kbuzbee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: I don't drip
Posted Wed Mar 7, 2012, 3:46am

Enkerli Said:

Six very weak single shots of espresso would would be, what, 42g of grounds for 6oz.? You have at least twice the volume for probably half the grounds.

Now, thereís some debate as to caffeine extraction levels in espresso. But a mug of drip coffee doesnít contain as much caffeine as six shots of espresso.

The one factor people frequently leave out of caffiene discussions is time. It would be a simple matter to brew a cup using the same amounts of water and coffee. Extracted for several minutes the caffiene level of the brewed cup would greatly exceed the short brew cycle espresso.

Now as you increase the size of the grind and reduce the amount of coffee used for the brewed cup, eventually the caffiene level will fall below the equal volume of espresso, but not as quickly or as dramatically as many people assume.

Cheers brother, (The Thread lives on, eh?)

Ken
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nikesta

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: porlex hand grinder
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 8:43am

I wanted to say, "Hello."  I have been enjoying this pleasant conversation.  Feels a bit like eavesdropping while reading/lurking.

I have a little 1 cup Moka Express, that I first bought simply because it was so cute, about four years ago. (Prior to this, I would enjoy an occasional espresso or espresso/milk drink in a coffee-shop.  I never did appreciate a drip-brewed cup)   I enjoy my little cup of moka in the morning.  At first I was frustrated by my lack of consistency to get a good cup, but the good cups made it worth more experimenting.  But have now found a comfortable routine that I enjoy, and usually enjoy the results.  In my process of learning and using, I had a 4 cup stainless Moka that I have since passed on to my grandma.  And because I enjoyed my moka, I then bought a Mukka for my mother-in-law, which she seems to enjoy.  I have been considering ordering a Brikka, just for fun.

My challenge is in keeping fresh beans to enjoy.  My little Moka doesn't go through the beans very quickly.  :-) I feel a bit overwhelmed in the kitchen with my kids "helping" me (5,3, and 1), or else this thread would have me home-roasting--it's now on my list of things to try "someday."

Anyhow, "Hi' and "Thank you!"

Nikki
frankthecrank

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 3:14pm

nikesta Said:

I wanted to say, "Hello."  I have been enjoying this pleasant conversation.  Feels a bit like eavesdropping while reading/lurking.

I have a little 1 cup Moka Express, that I first bought simply because it was so cute, about four years ago. (Prior to this, I would enjoy an occasional espresso or espresso/milk drink in a coffee-shop.  I never did appreciate a drip-brewed cup)   I enjoy my little cup of moka in the morning.  At first I was frustrated by my lack of consistency to get a good cup, but the good cups made it worth more experimenting.  But have now found a comfortable routine that I enjoy, and usually enjoy the results.  In my process of learning and using, I had a 4 cup stainless Moka that I have since passed on to my grandma.  And because I enjoyed my moka, I then bought a Mukka for my mother-in-law, which she seems to enjoy.  I have been considering ordering a Brikka, just for fun.

My challenge is in keeping fresh beans to enjoy.  My little Moka doesn't go through the beans very quickly.  :-) I feel a bit overwhelmed in the kitchen with my kids "helping" me (5,3, and 1), or else this thread would have me home-roasting--it's now on my list of things to try "someday."

Anyhow, "Hi' and "Thank you!"

Nikki

Posted June 5, 2012 link

Hi, and welcome to the forums! I  also have a cute little one cupper and I'll tell you what I so with it. After supper I can't drink a whole cup of coffee so I make a mini Americano with it. I brew the moka, put it in a small cup, add hot water, cream and sugar and get just enough of a caffeine fix for the evening! Delish!
KiteRob
KiteRob

Espresso: Moka and Brika
Grinder: Bodum burr
Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:28am

Oh dear, I've just finished reading the whole thread - and I think I broke it ;P

Hi, I've been using a cheapie china moka pot (2c) for about 2 yrs now and getting constant results. Before that I used a French press for many years, and then decided I wanted better coffee, so now I've got the 2c Brikka :)

I'll probably come back with more comments later, but at about page 120 of the 156 pages of this thread someone posted a link to a video where he claimed to get Brikka like crema from a MP. I've tried this and I get a coffee very muck like a Brikka. Now how would I try getting a Moka type coffee from the Brikka? The MP is my preferred morning flavour and Brikka for the rest.

Thanks
Rob

PS After reading this thread I know that coffee isn't about coffee, it's about people :)

If you're not having fun - you're doing it worng.
KiteRob
KiteRob

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 9:16am

I have today been introduced to Vietnam style coffee. The grind was a bit too fine for the moka or the brikka, but the flavour, very different.

From http://www.vietnamese-coffee.com/vietnamese_coffee_about.php

Thirdly, beans are generally roasted in what is referred to as "butter oil", which may or may not be actual clarified butter oil. Occasionally vegetable oils are used, and historically, traditional "home-grown" coffee roasting style involves creating almost a caramel-like coating effect with the use of a small amount of sugar, oil, and generally a touch of vanilla or cocoa.

So obviously a very different coffee. Tasted very good from the Brikka, left a slight taste to the Brikka that lasted 2 brews of my normal coffee, that was very pleasant, it could be nice as a blend.

Rob.

Thanks to this thread I've now reached the part of learning where things go wrong, so I must be doing it right ;)

KiteRob
KiteRob

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 9:51am

Now I've reached the stage where I need to find a consistant method, rather than experimentation.

I'm finding the Brikka more consistent than the Moka, and the Moka more open to variation.
One thing that I'm doing that I haven't read in these pages is I'm using a camping gas stove for heat. It started from convenience, but it seems to be the ideal heat source. Small enough and precise for the small area of the bottom of the pot.

Also in a warmer climate, do not leave your pot assembled, always leave the boiler open to fresh air, or you can have an interesting biological experiment going on.

tdhd

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012, 4:15am

I have been using a brikka for 8 or 9 years--having replaced rubber rings several times. Needless to say I am a dedicated user and have developed some tacit ways of using it that I think result in a pretty damn good stovetop espresso.

We use two of them every morning, and one just started sputtering again...cleaned the whole thing, replaced rubber rings, etc but to no avail.  It seems the rubber lining to the top pressure widget has deteriorated to the point of not making a good seal. I went to buy another replacement as its been about 4 yrs since replacing this one. To my dismay they now only sell an aluminum version! Much thinner and lower quality. For daily and sometimes twice daily use, I just can't bring myself to consume something from such an unstable metal that is being subjected to high heat and high acid constantly.

Anyhow, not much to say really expect for to register my disappointment that they have discontinued the stainless steel version...Anyone else commiserating with me on this?

Just joined this site and looking forward to conversations...
showing page 156 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377016067505)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+