Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Confessions of a Brikka Lover
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 155 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bluto
bluto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: moka, Brikka
Grinder: Bodum Antigua
Vac Pot: Yama, Infuze, Silex
Drip: manual cone, presspot
Roaster: local
Posted Mon Aug 22, 2011, 3:22pm
Subject: Re: Confessions of a Brikka Lover

The Bialetti pots are pricy, but they are more solid. I don't
think the coffee they produce is any better than from a cheap Chinese
made knock-off.

Check eBay for cheap moka pots.  Try to buy a new one, or at least
one with a usable gasket.

I would initially avoid the Brikka, as well as techniques involving
preheating, tamping, overfilling the grounds basket or other similar
practices.  Brew a standard cup and see if you like it.
 View Profile Link to this post
RaptorHornet
RaptorHornet

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Hario Siphon, Brikka
Drip: Kalita 1cup, Aeropress
Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011, 6:58pm

ybl8te Said:

Hi all, first time user and first post...

Posted August 22, 2011 link

If you like something that resembles espresso more closely then I suggest the brikka. The crema may just be for show but the weighted valve it has really does help increase extraction pressure that makes for a richer cup. On the other hand, if you just like some really strong coffee, the moka pot is gonna be your choice. It's cheaper too.

One thing these two have in common though is their ease of use. They are both very very forgiving to the person making the coffee. As long as you're using grinds of the right size, which is just slightly finer than what you'd use for drip brewing, you can easily produce consistently awesome cups of coffee everytime.

Do what you love to do and give it your very best
rlshults

Posted Tue Sep 27, 2011, 7:55pm

I recently purchased a Brikka 2 cup from a company called Amiganien through Amazon. However, when I received the unit, there was severe discoloration in the water reservoir as can be seen here. I would really like to own a Brikka, but certainly not in such a condition. I have searched high and low for a replacement from a different company, but unfortunately, I have had no luck. There are several other sites, but all of them are subsidiaries of Amiganien.  I'm somewhat skeptical to order from them again, seeing as how they sent out such a poor quality product. Does anyone know of an alternative place to get a Brikka 2 cup or should I simply roll the dice and try again?
transient

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution, Bialetti...
Grinder: Hand Mill
Roaster: Popcorn popper
Posted Sat Nov 5, 2011, 11:35am

As a 2c Brikka owner, i had stumbled upon this thread about two years ago, and had read it all - really enjoyed the discussion. Brikka remained as my main "coffee-maker" for a long time. I acquired a 6c Moka Express last year, but because it made too much coffee for one person (and consumed too many of my precious home-roasted beans) i didn't use it much, and continued to use my Brikka. Then, about two months ago, i finally bought a real espresso machine, a Gaggia Evolution. The Brikka was put on a shelf, and it remained there while i tried to learn how to make good espresso. This week though, i got a little tired of the espresso challenge - i was feeling discouraged because the Evolution, having too much pressure, makes a decidedly bitter and harsh espresso.

Then i remembered my Brikka. Took it off the shelf, cleaned it thoroughly with vinegar (it had some white aluminum rust in it), and re-seasoned it with sacrificial batches. Made coffee with it. 10g of Colombian beans, roasted 5 days ago. A habit from my espresso preparation ritual, i utilized the Weiss Distribution Technique : stirred the grounds in the funnel with a toothpick - i figured since we're not supposed to tamp, a good distribution should be important. And the coffee was good, really good, it was strong, yet very smooth. Close to what i had expected from my espresso machine, that it wouldn't deliver. The next day i tried with 14g of beans, the coffee was a bit stronger but still pretty smooth.

I don't remember my previous Brikka shots as being this smooth, but i'm not sure if i've gotten used to the harsh taste of my espresso that the Brikka seemed smooth in comparison -- or if the distribution technique really helped. Something to experiment with, i guess.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brandkb

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 5:01pm

I finally bought a 1-cup moka pot a few months ago and I've been loving it, however now that I read how much people love the brikka, I want one too!

I'm the only person in my home that drinks coffee so it's just me and my tiny 1 cup pot. It's comically tiny. I got a baby bottle brush to clean it out!
SirCharles

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 8:49pm

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and Brikka in general. I've been working on some Elementary Brikka Theory which I posted in a different thread before I found this one.

Like I said, it is a theory, but it does seem to explain a lot of the observations without any contradictions and clear up some of the mystery of this deceptively complex and temperamental device.
avramw

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 2:04pm

Hello all,

I'm still reading my way through this monster thread and it's fantastically full with information (I'm on page 65). I have a quick question though but forgive me if it's been answered before. Is there a way to make less than 6 cups of espresso in the 6-cup moka or less than 4 cups in the 4-cup brikka? I seem to recall that there was an adapter of some sorts that could fit in the basket to use less coffee or was that another brand altogether?

Thanks,
A
transient

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution, Bialetti...
Grinder: Hand Mill
Roaster: Popcorn popper
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 2:03am

As far as i know, it's not possible to make less coffee with these pots, at least not with good results. But even with a 6c Moka pot, the coffee isn't too much (less than a "mug") -  i can drink that alone. And you can reduce the amount of grounds to make a really "mild" coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 4:00am

Welcome to our little thread, Avram!

avramw Said:

Is there a way to make less than 6 cups of espresso in the 6-cup moka or less than 4 cups in the 4-cup brikka? I seem to recall that there was an adapter of some sorts that could fit in the basket to use less coffee or was that another brand altogether?

Posted March 1, 2012 link

Havenít heard of any adaptor for a moka pot of any kind. Maybe it exists, but I have no idea how or if it works.
You could experiment with using less water and less grounds, but there are mechanical limits to how low you can go. After all, youíre trying to generate enough pressure to move the water up without making the water too hot. My guess is that a much smaller amount might end up having strange effects.
But, as Emre says, even a 6c moka doesnít typically produce that much coffee. And itís using as much grounds as the equivalent quantity in filter coffee, so youíre not likely to get overcaffeinated from that amount.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 10:47am

avramw Said:

Is there a way to make less than 6 cups of espresso in the 6-cup moka or less than 4 cups in the 4-cup brikka?

Posted March 1, 2012 link

Delonghi makes an electric 6 cup moka pot called the Alicia that comes with a basket adapter for making 3 cups. Along with reducing the size of the coffee basket they also instruct the user to fill to a lower water level. But whether or not this tastes good they don't say! As mentioned the geometry of the pot makes a difference. While you could experiment with filling some of the space with glass marbles or stainless steel balls it's probably a lot easier to just buy a smaller pot.
showing page 155 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.351378917694)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+