Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Question on Aeropress materials (regarding BPA content)
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Question on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mattscottoline

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 8:16pm
Subject: Question on Aeropress materials (regarding BPA content)

So, this past christmas I received an Aeropress as a gift. It was essentially the last coffee mechanism I had yet to own, and it's very cool.

Being kind of health conscious, I wondered almost immediately if the plastic would leech BPA. The aeropress I was given came from Amazon, and was the grey-blue tinted color.

Doing some googling, I found that a lot of information said Aerobie switched to the more clear, BPA free models. No longer tinted blue. This happened in 2009.

So, I even called the company to confirm, and was told the same thing. They were even surprised amazon sold me a blue grey one.

We ended up sending the aeropress back, in hopes of buying a clear one on amazon. Ended up getting a blue grey one again. Tried once more, and still, blue grey.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and I was at the coffee common event in NYC.  When I saw the baristas there using the blue grey aeropress, I posed my situation to them, and was told by two baristas that they heard aerobie switched BACK to the grey blue, which was now BPA free.  I told them what the company had told me, and generally speaking, everyone was very confused.

Have any of you heard anything? Any information? I suppose I could call aerobie again.  I just want clarification.
 View Profile Link to this post
derevaun
derevaun

Espresso: Shoes and wallet
Grinder: Hario Mini, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Clever, BCM4
Roaster: My neighbor's Diedrich
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 12:20am
Subject: Re: Question on Aeropress materials (regarding BPA content)

I don't have any new info, but I would caution about the meaning of the phrase "BPA free." Does it mean that the plastic doesn't leech BPA above a particular threshold, or does it mean that BPA is not a part of any of the manufacturing process?

Alan Adler, the inventer of the Aeropress, reported on these forums that the original polycarbonate Aeropress was tested and found to not measurably leech BPA. Aerobie switched to a dfferent plastic anyway. It was a smart move, IMHO. I don't have the training or experience to judge how significant the "measurably" part is, or that the testing was independent of commercial bias.

Sigg made the mistake of claiming that their lined aluminum water bottles were BPA free based on similar findings, and their public image was seriously damaged when it turned out that the popular meaning of "BPA free" is that BPA isn't used in the manufacture at any point, while their use of the phrase simply meant that the polycarbonate lining in their bottles didn't leech BPA over a threshold.

IMHO, if one chooses to err on the side of caution regarding BPA, then any material that uses BPA in its manufacture is suspect until the scientific consensus is that BPA is not a health issues at all. So if an Aeropress is made of polycarbonate that involves BPA in its manufacture, it's not BPA free in a meaningful sense, IMHO, though it may well be tested to the extent that testers couldn't find a way to get it to leech enough BPA to measure. Who gets to define "BPA free," public consumers or the plastics industry?

It could be that Aerobie switched back to the polycarbonate Aeropress (there were some concerns with the new plastic cracking under pressure), and are describing it as BPA free based on the fact that it has been thoroughly tested not to leech BPA by some measure. Alan's description of the testing methodology was pretty convincing (a search of this forum would turn it up). I still wouldn't invest my and my children's reproductive health in it, until the scientific consensus is that BPA is not a health risk.

Since Aerobie say they haven't switched back, it might be that Amazon has some old stock. I wouldn't be surprised if the old version is preferred by baristas, due to the danger of cracking. It's a mystery!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 6:29am

I have two of these, one is a clear with a light bluish tint and the next is a darker, smoke brown color. The clear one is about two years older than the smoke colored one.

As of the date of this post, I still only have 10 fingers one head and one nose and mouth. When I sprout extra fingers or an extra leg, I will let you know but so far, I have used both without any ill effects.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 6:33am

Mine is new within 3 months or so from a local distributor (fresh supply) and it is smoke brown.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 6:39am
Subject: .

mattscottoline

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 6:50am

So I guess the consensus is that nobody is really sure.

Maybe I will try calling Aerobie again with all of my new stories and see what they say.

Thanks for the insights.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 7:07am

Which Amazon vendor did your Aeropress come from? So many of these have been (and continue to be) sold that I'd be surprised to hear old stock is still lying around "new in box."
BadElf

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Inova
Grinder: Inova, Cuisinart
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 7:16am

Interesting question. The real problem is that the FDA doesn't want to regulate anything because they are friends of the big food industry. So "BPA free" probably means not enough to get you immediately sick. Big companies don't have to tell you that you're eating genetically modified foods and no one knows what the long term effect of that is. Thirty years from now, someone's going to figure out that you got stomach cancer because of all the food from Monsanto seeds that you ate.

Personally, I use mine for travel, especially camping, because the clean up is so easy. And anyway, I'm already old enough not to care. But yeah, if I were young and were going to use this everyday, I'd think twice about it. I try to buy organic, non-gmo when it's not outrageously priced. On the other hand, everything kills lab rats eventually, right?

Let us know what you find out.
AlexTennant

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 12:17pm

The original AeroPress coffee makers were made of a clear but slightly bluish polycarbonate.  Laboratory tests done by an independent lab that were sensitive down to 2 parts per billion were completely unable to detect BPA in coffee brewed in a well used polycarbonate AeroPress.  Nevertheless to completely eliminate any perception of risk, we switched in August of 2009 to manufacturing the AeroPress out of a BPA free copolyester.  BPA free means the material does not contain any BPA.  

Since August of 2009, every AeroPress manufactured has been made of the BPA free copolyester.  The copolyester is a completely clear material.  Initially the AeroPress coffee makers made of copolyester were completely clear.  Near the end of 2010, we started adding a gray tint to the copolyester.  

Most retailers that sell the AeroPress coffee maker receive frequent shipments from Aerobie, Inc.  Amazon receives weekly shipments.  It is hard to imagine an old polycarbonate AeroPress from over two and a half years ago still sitting in a retailer's inventory.  

I hope this clarifies the AeroPress material question.

Alex Tennant, General Manager, Aerobie, Inc.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 2:04pm

calblacksmith Said:

I have two of these, one is a clear with a light bluish tint and the next is a darker, smoke brown color. The clear one is about two years older than the smoke colored one.

As of the date of this post, I still only have 10 fingers one head and one nose and mouth. When I sprout extra fingers or an extra leg, I will let you know but so far, I have used both without any ill effects.

Posted February 8, 2012 link

+1.  Same here.  Although I have noticed lately that my nose hairs grow so darned fast.  Dagnabbit!

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Question on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283754110336)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+