Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Quazi

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 6:41am
Subject: Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look

I bought the Bonavita with carafe based on all the good things I read here.  I have a Cuisinart thermal carafe that makes muddy, warm coffee and not hot, crisp and aromatic coffee.  I was very frustrated when I bought some great coffee, and it tasted like all the other good coffees I had brewed with the Cuisinart.  So, I look forward to good coffee, like I have had in Chinatown Coffee in Washington DC.

One thing no one has mentioned:  does the Bonavita come with a filter basket?  If not, what kind of paper filters do I need?

I look forward to good coffee next week.  Thanks to everyone for this great thread on the topic of good HOT water machines!
 View Profile Link to this post
yomer

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 8:53am

I just bought it too and am currently awaiting its arrival. I also bought a 6 pack of 100 pc. each, Melitta white #4 cone filters from Amazon. Very good price for what seems to be a good quality filter.

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 9:05am

Quazi Said:

One thing no one has mentioned:  does the Bonavita come with a filter basket?  If not, what kind of paper filters do I need?

Posted January 20, 2012 link

Melitta size 4 or equivalent.

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 9:48am

Will_H Said:

Wish I still had my Technivorm to compare it to, but it seems comparable as far a finished coffee.  I remember my Technivorm being a bit taller and "beefier" in construction, but the BV seems well built as well, although more plastic.  

Posted January 14, 2012 link

I own both and I think you're right. Both work very well as brewers, and I can't tell the difference in the coffee they produce.  The Technivorm is undoubtedly better built to a commercial rather than the quite good domestic standard of the Bonavita.  However, I've had the Melitta (European equivalent of the Bonavita) for about 6 years - it's used not every day, but several times a week. Still works like new.

I'd like to see some proof of the claim "assembled in China from German components" (that might be a paraphrase I don't have the exact wording in front of me) I've seen on one US website. Another says "engineered in Germany" which could mean several things.

Mine just says "Made in China".  Not unhappy about that and I knew before I bought it.
Dooglas
Dooglas
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar HX, La Pavoni lever
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 2:30pm

__________ Said:

Melitta size 4 or equivalent.

Posted January 20, 2012 link

Which means you can use size 4 paper filters or a goldtone type filter basket in that size. I am using a basket with good results.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 3:00am

Dooglas Said:

Which means you can use size 4 paper filters or a goldtone type filter basket in that size. I am using a basket with good results.

Posted January 22, 2012 link

I get good results with a SwissGold #4 size permanent filter but lately I have been using the Kaffeologie cone shaped filter - I do not see this shape available on the Kaffeologie web site though.

It works well with the Bonavita filter cone since not much in the way of silt is left in the bottom of a full pot.  I still use the #4 Melitta papers too.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:59pm

For those of you using this brewer, ho long does it take for the water to drain from the filter basket after all the water is out of the reservoir when brewing a full batch.  Mine seems to take awhile.  I have noticed the brew basket still full of water when the reservoir empties and it takes a pretty long time to finish draining.  Not sure if my grind is still to fine.  I have been trying to go more coarse with it.  Maybee I still need to go farther.  I am using a new Virtuoso for the grinder.  I did not notice this nearly as much with my Capresso Infinity.
Will_H

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Linea Single Group Rebuild...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 1:28pm

mwright Said:

For those of you using this brewer, ho long does it take for the water to drain from the filter basket after all the water is out of the reservoir when brewing a full batch.  Mine seems to take awhile.  I have noticed the brew basket still full of water when the reservoir empties and it takes a pretty long time to finish draining.  Not sure if my grind is still to fine.  I have been trying to go more coarse with it.  Maybee I still need to go farther.  I am using a new Virtuoso for the grinder.  I did not notice this nearly as much with my Capresso Infinity.

Posted January 29, 2012 link

Short answer: Yes, you are grinding too fine.

Long winded answer: My first thought is that you are grinding too fine.  While I have never used a Capresso Infinity, I would imagine at a drip setting it would produce a wide range of particle sizes compared to the Baratza which would produce a much more consistent range of particle sizes.  That said, one would assume that a comparable "drip" grind from each would yield differing brew times.

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 4:55pm

mwright Said:

Posted January 29, 2012 link

I haven't ever timed it, but I do know it's longer than with a Technivorm, and I think it's to do with the design of the basket.  The Technivorm basket has a single hole - a lot larger than the Melitta/Bonavita basket - and it is in the centre of the basket at the bottom. It would provide virtually no flow control to the water coming out. The Melitta/Bonavita has a much smaller hole about 1cm up from the botton of the basket in the side.  Exactly why it's designed like that I don't know, but I'm sure there is some theoretical reason.  In any event, it is of a size to limit the flow going through it.

You might check it against your capresso machine too.

I suspect that is the answer rather than anything to do with your grind size.

Edit - by the way, what kind of filter are you using ?  I found that the bodum version of the gold type permanent filter didn't work too well in this machine.  The flow through was far too slow compared to a good quality paper filter, and on one occasion it overflowed.
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012, 4:47am

I am using paper filters. Melitta #4.  I will try grinding coarser and see what that does.  At my current setting I measured them and they are about 1mm grind size (approx, it is kinda hard to measure).
showing page 4 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339950084686)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+