Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
need new coffee maker any suggestions??
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > need new coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
dpricesd

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 1:35am
Subject: need new coffee maker any suggestions??

My coffee maker just died & my wife has been  buying coffee daily from starbucks, I need to purchase a new coffee maker & I cannot afford a $300 technivorm, Any suggestions? I was looking at the compresso mt600 and Bonavita. Im not happy with bunn because I   spent $130 for a Bunn & it prematurely died too.  I usually drink a large mug of coffee daily & the coffee maker is for home use Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated & Im a french roast kind of guy too.
Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
Marc_T

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Cory 8 cup
Drip: Technivorm; Vintage Chemex;...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 6:09am
Subject: Re: need new coffee maker any suggestions??

I have purchased almost every brewing device ever made. I just sold my Silvia, getting ready to sell my Technivorm, and never use my French Press.

Do you have a grinder? If not, spend as much money as possible to buy a good grinder.

For the brewing device, I recommend a Clever. It is so easy to use, it produces such a good cup, and is easy to clean.

Personally, I use a Woodneck Dripper, but the Clever is a great choice for its ease of use.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dpricesd

Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 2:35pm

No, I dont have a coffee grinder & not sure whats considered a good grinder.  Thanks for your suggestion, it looks like its going to take some time to learn how to use the clever, Im not sure how to heat the waterup to 200 degrees too. I was looking at the capresso infinity burr grinder or the botum bistro grinder & I know there is a maestro grinder too. I watched the clever on youtube & it looks like besides the clever, I might have to buy a beaker Mug too.
Thanks
hankg

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Saeco Titan
Drip: Technivorm Thermal
Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 4:29pm

dpricesd Said:

Im not happy with bunn because I   spent $130 for a Bunn & it prematurely died too.

Posted January 8, 2012 link

Did you actually contact Bunn to get if fixed? They have one of the best records as it pertains to customer service. Even if it can't actually be repaired, which would surprise me, they will at least get you $$ off a new one. I'm using one that I got from my folks. It had a leaky top section. They sent out a repair kit at no cost to me. This on a version they hadn't made in almost 10 years.

I've had a Presto Scandinavian Design coffee pot (actually 3) and they lasted from 1-2.5 years. I also have a Technivorm. The Bunn, with the flow restrictor shower head, makes great coffee. Better than the Technivorm? I couldn't say yes or no, just different.

If you still have the unit, I'd contact Bunn. If not, you should have based on my experience.

Henry
Marc_T

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Cory 8 cup
Drip: Technivorm; Vintage Chemex;...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 4:37pm

dpricesd Said:

No, I dont have a coffee grinder & not sure whats considered a good grinder.  Thanks for your suggestion, it looks like its going to take some time to learn how to use the clever, Im not sure how to heat the waterup to 200 degrees too. I was looking at the capresso infinity burr grinder or the botum bistro grinder & I know there is a maestro grinder too. I watched the clever on youtube & it looks like besides the clever, I might have to buy a beaker Mug too.
Thanks

1. Baratza grinders are a good place to start.
  2. You dont know how to heat water?? To get to 200, you just wait 15-20 secs off boil.
  3. Clever is EASY...pour water in and wait 3 mins and start draining.
  4. You dont need a beaker, you just need a mug. Im sure the glass beaker on YouTube was for the purposes of showing the results.

brewmethods.com has other Clever vids.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 4:40pm

dpricesd Said:

No, I dont have a coffee grinder . . .

Babbie's Rule* of Fifteens:
-- Green (unroasted) coffee beans should be roasted within 15 months, or they go stale.
-- Roasted coffee beans should be ground within 15 days, or they go stale.
-- Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes, or it goes stale.

Your choice.

Marc_T Said:

Baratza grinders are a good place to start.

+1

Cheers,
Jason

* OK, so there are very few hard-and-fast "rules" -- more like "rules-of-thumb."

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
dpricesd

Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 4:53pm

I think the Bunn coffee maker only lasted a year & my wife threw it away which means we made another dumb mistake. Its hard to believe how much you guys are into your coffee. The thing thats hard to believe is how your wives let you guys buy such expensive coffee equipment. Ive ben buying my coffee at Starbucks, Petes Coffee & a place in Az called Gold Coast where I splurge for $14 per pound coffee.
Thanks Though
hankg

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Saeco Titan
Drip: Technivorm Thermal
Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 5:31pm

Sorry about the early throw-away. I see Peets on your list-one of my favorites. To be honest, I don't know of any consumer coffee brewer at the Bunn price that does things correctly, with the correct modification and correct filters, that will last over a year of two. Been there and done that. Locally, I just found someone was selling a used Bunn brewer that works, was used in an office, and is still a current model, for $10. I'm calling to go get it. Do I need it? No. I'll probably give it to a friend that needs a good machine. But I never see them at that price. Don't let your bad experience keep you from buying one.

You will see other brewers such as the Zojirushi. It doesn't brew at the correct temp, that based on my communication with them when I was looking. Delonghi makes the DCM900 which is cool looking and does everything right but fails quickly, much like the Presto Scandinavian did. And it's price, though at one time less money, is more than the Bunn. I personally a little wary of Capresso, based on what I've read on this site. Too many bad reviews to give me much confidence.

Newco is no longer making brewers other than the big stuff. I own one in addition to the Technivorm and the old Bunn (even had the old squatty carafe). All work great. Technivorm is flawless but it better be at the price. Newco keeps going. The Bunn, being somewhere over 10 years old, is making three pots of coffee a day at my office, 5 days a week for the past 1.5 years. Works every time.

To be very honest, I don't know of an affordable (meaning under $150) coffee brewer that does everything right. I'd love to know of one too. Not that I need another but would love to pass on good finds to others. Good luck.

Henry
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 5:43pm

dpricesd Said:

My coffee maker just died & my wife has been  buying coffee daily from starbucks, I need to purchase a new coffee maker & I cannot afford a $300 technivorm, Any suggestions? I was looking at the compresso mt600 and Bonavita. Im not happy with bunn because I   spent $130 for a Bunn & it prematurely died too.  I usually drink a large mug of coffee daily & the coffee maker is for home use Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated & Im a french roast kind of guy too.
Thanks

Get the Bonavita - Glass or Steel carafe - either one should give great results. My glass carafe version is a terrific brewer and it retails for around what that Bunn cost.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/554787

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
dpricesd

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 1:19am

Posted by hankg You will see other brewers such as the Zojirushi:

Besides zojirushi, Melita has two models on Amazon that received many positive reviews. Melita is a german company similiar to Braun . I also agree Bunn also makes good coffee makers because the Bunn coffee maker we had at work was used for 20 people & multiple cups of coffee daily I  was shocked when the Newco rep. wrote me back to inform me that the Newco OCS8 is no longer manufactured &  not updated with something else.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > need new coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.317738056183)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+