Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
need new coffee maker any suggestions??
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > need new coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 7:24am
Subject: Re: need new coffee maker any suggestions??

dpricesd Said:

Posted by hankg You will see other brewers such as the Zojirushi:

Besides zojirushi, Melita has two models on Amazon that received many positive reviews. Melita is a german company similiar to Braun . I also agree Bunn also makes good coffee makers because the Bunn coffee maker we had at work was used for 20 people & multiple cups of coffee daily I  was shocked when the Newco rep. wrote me back to inform me that the Newco OCS8 is no longer manufactured &  not updated with something else.

Posted January 9, 2012 link

The Bonavita 1800 series has been sold overseas as the Melitta Aroma for years with decent results and reviews - I recommended checking it out based largely on this international track record and my personal results with mine. It performs like brewers (maybe better IMHO) that cost much more money.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
hankg

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Saeco Titan
Drip: Technivorm Thermal
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 11:49am

The one that was a big hit around here a few years ago from Melita was the Clarity. Cool looking and did things right.

My biggest beef with the Bonavita is not it's capabilities but that it is only an 8-cup (40 ounce) brewer. That's been the one frustrating thing about the Technivorm as well. "10 Cups" but seem like small cups. Actually, it is since 1.25 Litres is about 42 ounces. If you have friends over, that extra 8-10 ounces can make a difference, Of course, if you were used to a 12-cup model...

But given the price difference between the Bonavita and the Technivorm, and about the same capacity, I'd probably save the extra money and put it towards a better grinder if needed. I have a setup with my Technivorm so that I can brew directly into a travel mug. Fill the water up to about the 5-cup level and good to go. That's half a pot! Granted, I'm the only one in our house that drinks coffee so not a big deal. For my home, the Bunn doesn't work well but at the office it's perfect (with the shower head replacement and the taller filters).

I too was shocked that they discontinued the OCS brewers. The one I have in the studio works great. I have the OCS-12 so it's nice to have the extra coffee ounces. Hopefully, the Bonavita (Melita) will find some staying power in the U.S. and not disappear like they have in the past.

Henry
dpricesd

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 1:15pm

Ive been looking at Baratza grinders, the 635 maestro and the 585 virtuoso. What do you think of each & which is preferred? I rarely drink expresso & thanks
Marc_T

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Cory 8 cup
Drip: Technivorm; Vintage Chemex;...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 2:13pm

Seems to come down to material use in the machine.

Check this:

Click Here (www.baratzallc.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dpricesd

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 4:52pm

Which Bunn has the spray pattern that produces better coffee or Do all  the Bunn coffee makers have the same brewing system?
hankg

Grinder: Saeco Titan
Drip: Technivorm Thermal
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 7:36pm

dpricesd Said:

Which Bunn has the spray pattern that produces better coffee or Do all  the Bunn coffee makers have the same brewing system?

Posted January 9, 2012 link

They basically are all variations on the same machine when talking about the home versions, with the exception of the Phase Brew. The trick with the Bunn units is to, as soon as you buy one, to get online and order the flow restrictor or also known as the high altitude spray head. What it does is slow the flow rate of the water. To get an idea of how well it works, many of us have done the toothpick trick, filling a couple of holes with the spray head that comes stock. I ordered one for a machine that was over 10 years old. They sent 2 for free.

Henry
dpricesd

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 1:02pm

The Bonavita coffee brewers are available at George Howell Coffee. They have two types a thermal carafe for $149 & a glass carafe for $129
dpricesd

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 1:20pm

have you seen the Gaggia 8002 MDF with doser grinder or the Breville smart  grinder vs the baratza virtuoso & maestro plus grinders?
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Fri Jan 13, 2012, 1:39pm

If you want good coffee on a budget, buy a (good) entry level burr grinder, french press, a kettle, plus freshly artisinal roasted beans and don't look back.  

You may want to look at this $89 Krups burr grinder that coffeegeek EricBNC is talking about.

Large Bodum French Press $37

Living the caffeinated life.
hurdy_gurdyman
hurdy_gurdyman

Espresso: Betty Crocker
Grinder: KitchenAid
Vac Pot: Bodum electric, many vintage
Drip: Bunn, several others
Roaster: Fresh Roast 8
Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012, 11:08am

JPF Said:

If you want good coffee on a budget, buy a (good) entry level burr grinder, french press, a kettle, plus freshly artisinal roasted beans and don't look back.  

You may want to look at this $89 Krups burr grinder that coffeegeek EricBNC is talking about.

Large Bodum French Press $37

Posted January 13, 2012 link

Excellent advice. You could also substitute a $36 Yama Siphon Brewer for the french press. These give an equally good brew with a cleaner taste, totally lacking in sediment. If you follow the directions exactly, you'll get great coffee from the git-go. I use mine daily and love it.

Dave
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > need new coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296392202377)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+