Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 22 of 22 first page previous page
Author Messages
alcahuetej

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 5:58am
Subject: Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look

msboo Said:

Check out the last 2-3 pages of the thread titled Bonavita bv1800th (thermal carafe) 4 down from this current thread. I've had no trouble with my thermal carafe, had since Nov 2012. I don't know of, nor have heard of any changes Bonavita has made to the carafe.

Posted January 10, 2014 link

Great, thanks for the reply!  

Another question.  I've only been using this for about a month, but starting last week I began having stomach issues/headaches only when drinking coffee from this coffee maker.  Could I be grinding too fine, and creating a cup with excessive caffeine?

Or am I just not cleaning it correctly.  I clean the lid, carafe, and basket with mild soap after each use.  Then I run 6 - 8 cups of water through the machine.  How is everyone else cleaning it?  

Could it possible be my grinder too?  I have a Baratza Encore I've used for over a year without cleaning the inside of it.
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 8:30pm

Alcahuetej....  Wo, clean your grinder! Don't know what most here do but I clean mine wkly, sometimes go 2 wks when lazy. I clean manually, but you can do it like monthly with Grindz. A clean grinder will make a big difference since you've gone a year BUT if you're having stomach issues & headaches what kind of coffee beans are you using?
SarasotaLady

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:24pm

alcahuetej Said:

Great, thanks for the reply!  

Another question.  I've only been using this for about a month, but starting last week I began having stomach issues/headaches only when drinking coffee from this coffee maker.  Could I be grinding too fine, and creating a cup with excessive caffeine?

Or am I just not cleaning it correctly.  I clean the lid, carafe, and basket with mild soap after each use.  Then I run 6 - 8 cups of water through the machine.  How is everyone else cleaning it?  

Could it possible be my grinder too?  I have a Baratza Encore I've used for over a year without cleaning the inside of it.

Posted January 21, 2014 link

Alcahuetej...

Your symptoms sound just like the ones I had several  years ago when I started grinding my own coffee -- headaches, stomach burning.  The caffeine was doing me in.  
I switched to 50% caffeine/50% decaf-- used same grinder and same coffeemaker, and symptoms went away. I buy ready roasted beans online , half decaf and half regular, and mix them.
I know the quality of the coffee isn't at its best with addition of the decaf, but better than all decaf (ugh!) or no coffee  at all  (really bad.)

Oh-- and PLEASE take your grinder apart and clean it . I'm not a cleaning fanatic, but I take my Baratza apart once a month and there's always pieces of bean stuck inside.

Hope this helps.  
SarasotaLady
alcahuetej

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 8:23am

msboo Said:

Alcahuetej....  Wo, clean your grinder! Don't know what most here do but I clean mine wkly, sometimes go 2 wks when lazy. I clean manually, but you can do it like monthly with Grindz. A clean grinder will make a big difference since you've gone a year BUT if you're having stomach issues & headaches what kind of coffee beans are you using?

I doubt it's the beans.  I've been buying locally roasted beans from Barismo or George Howell very fresh for quite some time.  And I've gone through three pounds since the issue started.  Sounds like I should clean my grinder!  I can simply put Grindz through it?
alcahuetej

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 8:24am

SarasotaLady Said:

Alcahuetej...

Your symptoms sound just like the ones I had several  years ago when I started grinding my own coffee -- headaches, stomach burning.  The caffeine was doing me in.  
I switched to 50% caffeine/50% decaf-- used same grinder and same coffeemaker, and symptoms went away. I buy ready roasted beans online , half decaf and half regular, and mix them.
I know the quality of the coffee isn't at its best with addition of the decaf, but better than all decaf (ugh!) or no coffee  at all  (really bad.)

Oh-- and PLEASE take your grinder apart and clean it . I'm not a cleaning fanatic, but I take my Baratza apart once a month and there's always pieces of bean stuck inside.

Hope this helps.  
SarasotaLady

I don't believe it's the caffeine since I have no issues when I have coffee anywhere else but work.  So it's either the Bonavita or my grinder.  Since the Bonavita is only a month old, I'm leaning towards the grinder.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 9:02pm

Hey Alcahuetej...  After brushing out your burrs and dumping out all the residue, use compressed air to blow out stuff that gets inside (where you can't physically get to---even if you use Grindz instead).  I go outside in good weather OR do it over a big trash can in the garage in bad weather. Some here use small attachments on their shop vacs instead of compressed air. A soft toothbrush is handy for cleaning the O-ring around the your ring burr. A handy thing for manually brushing grooves in the lower burr is a very small bottle brush, about 1/4" diameter---Dr. Brown's Bottle Cleaning Brushes - 4 pack (Walmart, BabiesRUs).

Using Grindz you'll need to run some beans thru after the Grindz to assure all Grindz residue is out.

Sorry about your stomach & headaches. Hope it's not the caffeine---that would be a real bummer. Some coffees are more acidic than others so hope you find a solution. Good luck!
alcahuetej

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 5:11am

msboo Said:

Hey Alcahuetej...  After brushing out your burrs and dumping out all the residue, use compressed air to blow out stuff that gets inside (where you can't physically get to---even if you use Grindz instead).  I go outside in good weather OR do it over a big trash can in the garage in bad weather. Some here use small attachments on their shop vacs instead of compressed air. A soft toothbrush is handy for cleaning the O-ring around the your ring burr. A handy thing for manually brushing grooves in the lower burr is a very small bottle brush, about 1/4" diameter---Dr. Brown's Bottle Cleaning Brushes - 4 pack (Walmart, BabiesRUs).

Using Grindz you'll need to run some beans thru after the Grindz to assure all Grindz residue is out.

Sorry about your stomach & headaches. Hope it's not the caffeine---that would be a real bummer. Some coffees are more acidic than others so hope you find a solution. Good luck!

Posted January 22, 2014 link

Thanks for the advice (all of you)!  I took it apart and cleaned it as best I could this morning, but not as thorough as msboo suggested.  I'll do that after my Grindz come in this week.  

Now the final piece is trying to figure out what grind setting to use for this machine.  After a month, I'm still playing around with it.  I can't quite get a cup as good as what I get from my Aeropress/Hario V60.  Like I said, I have a Baratza Encore, I took it apart a month ago and saw it calibrated to the coarsest setting.  Does anyone have pictures of what the grind size is supposed to look like for this machine?
showing page 22 of 22 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322584867477)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+