Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Thu Dec 22, 2011, 10:34am
Subject: Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look

roastedcharlie Said:

The heating element brews at ideal temperature of 197 - 202 degrees."

Posted December 17, 2011 link

I wish this were true of my Technivorm. Mine is one of the newer models, but I have found that it barely makes it to 190 F, and this as the brewing process nears its end. When I questioned the TV importer on this, I got the impression that this is typical and, in fact, "ideal." I don't think so. IMO the result of my efforts is, instead, an under-extracted brew that produces very little depth or body. I resort to retaining the water for as much as 45 seconds before opening the valve. My experience with THIS TV is that it is useless when I want to brew just a single cup, 500 ML, since the water making its way through the grounds is ~ 180 F, not 190. What I will do in that case is boil that much water on the stove then run it through my little Melitta Cuppa Joe (I think that's what it's called).

This little Melitta manual pour-over device makes a different tasting, often superior, brew, and I believe that is due to the higher temperature of the water. Given the comment quoted, my only question would concern the amount of time it takes the Bonavita to produce water at these temperatures or, are you saying that the initial spray of water from the shower head has already reached this temp? My BV is on order thru a seller on Amazon, but I have not yet seen a ship date. I am hoping for these kinds of temps as I think it will make for a more completely extracted brew.
 View Profile Link to this post
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2011, 3:14pm

leesill Said:

I usually start with a 60g/Liter ratio, or 6g/100mL.  So, for 30g, we used 500mL.  We like the results that we received.  We even brewed V60's and Chemexes side by side with the same ratios (and water temperature) for comparison, and the Bonavita brews held up well.  The drip rate is the same, so you need to grind a bit finer to account, and we were ending up with 2:40-2:45 minute brews (the last drip from the filter) which worked great.

Posted December 20, 2011 link

Are you saying you ground a bit finer for the Bonavita?  How would you compare your grind to other drip brewers.  I have a capresso infinity and I typically use about the middle of the drip setting with my Bunn Phase brew.  I am getting this Bonavita and I am just wondering if the same grind setting would be a good starting point.
leesill
leesill
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Chemex, V60, Wave, KONE,...
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Dec 27, 2011, 8:18am

mwright Said:

Are you saying you ground a bit finer for the Bonavita?  How would you compare your grind to other drip brewers.  I have a capresso infinity and I typically use about the middle of the drip setting with my Bunn Phase brew.  I am getting this Bonavita and I am just wondering if the same grind setting would be a good starting point.

Posted December 23, 2011 link

I would say that the grind setting is comparable on the Bonavita.  What I meant about grinding finer is that, for a smaller brew, I grind finer, and for a larger brew, I grind coarser, as the brew head distributes water at the same pace.  I would follow those same guidelines for other automatic brewers, as well as manual pour-over brewers.  Hope that clarifies!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 8:29pm

Clive Coffee just published a comparison of the Bonavita (thermal) and Technivorm: Click Here (www.clivecoffee.com)
Will_H

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Linea Single Group Rebuild...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 2:44pm

]So been following this post for a few weeks, and been thinking of jumping in a buying the thermal model bv1800th.  Had a technivorm that I sold about a year back (loved it, but didn't use it enough after buying my Alex).  Now I am back in my normal brewed coffee kick and wishing I hadn't sold it...oh well.

So had some questions regarding the quality of the Bonavita compared to the Technivorms.  I know initial feedback has been that they seem to be build sturdy enough, but perhaps not a rugged as the technivorms.  Also was wondering about how the heating element compared to the technivorm.  I just got off the phone with Keith at Venia Coffee and he gave me a bit of info that I think is new.

1st, Turns out that the Bonavita is not a completely new machine, in fact it has been on the European market for near 10 years marketed under the Melitta Europe label.  They have been extremely well received and respected in Europe and have an excellent track record. Here is a link to the European models:  Click Here (www.melitta24.eu)

2nd, the difference in the machines is that the heating element had to be converted to 110v, and other than that, they are mostly identical.  It took time for Bonavita to get UL approval as all parts needed to be built in UL approved factories, something that the European market does not care about, so it was a change in manufacturing that caused the lag time to US market.  

3rd, the heating element is not copper, like the Technivorms, but aluminum.  Keith said that one of the Bonavita Engineers will be sending him some technical info on why they chose aluminum instead of copper, so I will try too remember to follow up with him and see if I can glean anything.  

4th, the Bonavitas have a 2 year manufacturer warranty.  The European models have lasted much longer than 2 years.  Said what everyone here probably knows, that the biggest enemy to a coffeemakers heating element is scale, so with regular descaling it should last for years.  

seems like there was something else, but I don't remember now...getting old.  

oh, yeah, i went ahead and ordered one, will give a review in awhile.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 3:43pm

Did I miss it, or is there no listing of exactly HOW much coffee can be brewed in one session?
1.5l? 1.25? 1.75? (like my Bunn STX)

It was mentioned that testing on both inits consisted of 1.25 l of water.
But is that the limit?

If so, then folks need to know, as for many, at least a 50oz capacity is a must, 40oz won't do.

The Bonavita seems like a great machine for the price, and Clive's testing, along with those here are most useful.
Thanks to  you testers for taking your valuable time to educate us on what appears to be a fine product.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 4:38pm

IMAWriter Said:

Did I miss it, or is there no listing of exactly HOW much coffee can be brewed in one session?
1.5l? 1.25? 1.75? (like my Bunn STX)

It was mentioned that testing on both inits consisted of 1.25 l of water.
But is that the limit?

If so, then folks need to know, as for many, at least a 50oz capacity is a must, 40oz won't do.

The Bonavita seems like a great machine for the price, and Clive's testing, along with those here are most useful.
Thanks to  you testers for taking your valuable time to educate us on what appears to be a fine product.

Posted January 12, 2012 link

the mark goes up to 1.25L on mine.  I guess the 50 fl oz crowd will have to boil two 1 liter pots - got 5 extra minutes and a spare carafe?  

Much more fascinating to me is how well it handles 500 mL of water - the results are similar to pour over with a three minute and change total brew time.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 4:44pm

__________ Said:

As you will discover when it arrives, the thermal carafe is actually a glass vacuum flask inside a stainless steel outer shell.  In my experience, glass flasks tend to absorb less of the initial heat than stainless steel ones.  I don't bother warming the flask, although it wouldn't do any harm. In my case the coffee doesn't stay in it for very long anyway.  Even in a vacuum flask, keeping brewed coffee for more than about half an hour or so isn't a good idea, at least not to my taste buds.

Posted December 21, 2011 link

This is surprising as it's been hard to find thermal carafe's with a glass vacuum inside.  I prefer the glass to an all-stainless carafe.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
Will_H

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012, 11:55am

So I got home last night to find my Bv1800 (glass container model) in the hallway.  I couldn't wait till morning to try it out so gave it a few trial runs.  

Using my automotive non contact temperature gun (similar to this Raytek.  Not sure how accurate it is in measuring brew temp, but my samples gave me readings of between 199 and 201 degrees, perfect IMHO.  

Brew time was a bit long the first run, but on closer exam the machine had done its part correctly, I just ground too fine and it took an additional minute to finish dripping through the filter.  The coffee turned out well.  Used an Ethiopia Rophi from Coava.  The subtle fruity notes came through wonderfully.  My second run was Venia Honduras Mezcla that I ordered with the machine.  I did a Chemex pourover at the same time (with paper filter) to compare, and I was pleasantly surprised how closely the Bonavita did to the Chemex.   At this point, I would likely still choose a chemex over the Bonavita, as the more subtle notes were much clearer, but for ease of use and lazy factor included, the Bonavita wins.  

Wish I still had my Technivorm to compare it to, but it seems comparable as far a finished coffee.  I remember my Technivorm being a bit taller and "beefier" in construction, but the BV seems well built as well, although more plastic.  

I was going to take pics of my first brewing but dropped my camera on the tile floor as I was getting ready...epic fail as my grand kids would tell me.  I will break the news to the wife after I soften her up to a nice cup of Honduras, lol. (she wasn't too keen on me adding another piece of coffee stuff to the kitchen).
Will_H

Posted Sat Jan 14, 2012, 12:10pm

showing page 3 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.362920999527)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+