Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 15 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
missy_
missy_
Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 2:37pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look

joesuits4 Said:

I have had mine for about 3 months and there is no need to preheat the thermal carafe.  I'm using the Bonavita more than my Technivorm.

Posted April 17, 2012 link

Thank you for the reply, joesuits4. That is two Coffee Geekers so far who do not preheat their thermal carafes. Can anyone else weigh in on if your coffee stays hot in your Bonavita thermal carafe without preheating the thermal carafe?

I have a little while to decide, since these are still on back order. If I do not hear from anyone else (I hope I do! :o ) I will have to assume everyone else here preheats their thermal carafe -- a step I do not want to have to take every time I brew -- or has a glass carafe.

I am hoping since this carafe has a glass interior that it will not absolutely require the extra step of preheating. I have never had a thermal carafe but do not want to have to do this step every day in order to get hot coffee .... although there may be days when I take this step.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and first-hand experience. :^)

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
 View Profile Link to this post
etexlady

Grinder: Capresso Infinity;  Bunn
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Melitta...
Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 3:26pm

These units appear to be back in stock on Amazon.  I had placed an order on Whole Lotta Love last week thinking from their website that they had them in stock but the order confirmation stated "backordered".  IMO they didn't make the status very clear until one placed the order. They have since given me two ETA dates each time pushing the date further along with the last one being next Wednesday so no telling when it will ship.

Ooops, now Amazon is showing out of stock.  Sorry for the misinformation.
Kipperman

Posted Fri May 4, 2012, 7:21am

Mine is still not shipped from Amazon with a delivery date due tomorrow. I think they are going to miss it.
I did talk with someone at Bonavita who said that they underestimated demand and that Amazon should get a shipment of the thermals first week in may and would probably send mine out second week in may. I'll keep you posted

Kipperman Said:

no rush

Manufacturer backordered

I ordered from Amazon March 26. Still not shipped.

Order Placed: March 26, 2012
Not Yet Shipped:1 item - delivery estimate: April 19, 2012 - May 5, 2012

Posted April 18, 2012 link

SarasotaLady

Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 9:13pm

I've had Bonavita thermal carafe for about two months.  Love the coffee, especially that first pouring from the carafe, which for me is usually 12 oz out of 24 oz of water./ 46 g. coffee.       I don't preheat water-- can't be bothered, and feel that it would make that first -- and most important -- cup too hot to drink.

On  weekends, I've gone back to the carafe about 45 minutes later, and coffee is not as hot as I'd like-- drinkable but not optimal tasting.  I still prefer thermal over glass because -- to me-- coffee  in glass pot gets a burnt taste.

Note of caution on thermal carafe-- the glass vacuum liner exploded when I cleaned the carafe with brush attached to a plastic holder. This was only a month after I received the coffeemaker.  Called Venia coffee.  I received replacement carafe in matter of days.  So be gentle in cleaning the carafe-- I just swish water around to clean it .
Will_H

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Linea Single Group Rebuild...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 11:12am

Kipperman Said:

Mine is still not shipped from Amazon with a delivery date due tomorrow. I think they are going to miss it.
I did talk with someone at Bonavita who said that they underestimated demand and that Amazon should get a shipment of the thermals first week in may and would probably send mine out second week in may. I'll keep you posted

Posted May 4, 2012 link

Ordered another for my office from Venia and got it last week.  Shipped free (like many do) and included as a bonus was a bag of their Colombian Inza coffee as well.
missy_
missy_
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 1:17pm

I am considering switching out the standard plastic basket on the Bonavita to a ceramic/porcelain filter basket.

Does anyone know which size and brand(s) of ceramic/porcelain filter baskets would fit the Bonavita?

Thank you.

In addition, I saw this review on the German Amazon site. I do not speak German, so this is a Google translation, but it appears that the "Melitta" version of the Bonavita had an Auto off switch. The review states:

"The main reason for the purchase were:

- Insulated container inside of glass (not plastic!)
- Can large opening - easy to clean
- Automatic switching off with mains separation (good prevention, such as fire protection)
- VDE approved (one of the best evidence for electrical safety)
- Stainless steel
- Melitta, the name for everything that has to do with coffee and coffee filters

Its use is straightforward and the brewed coffee is kept warm for long enough.
A taste of the brewed coffee have so many non-device-related factors influence that it is better for such questions evaluates the results statistically sound by independent product testers.
We are certainly satisfied."

The review can be found here: Click here

A photo of that "Bonavita" looks slightly different, unless it is the lighting. The carafe appears to have a stainless edge and so does the filter basket. Click Here (ecx.images-amazon.com)

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 12:01am

missy_ Said:

I saw this review on the German Amazon site. I do not speak German, so this is a Google translation, but it appears that the "Melitta" version of the Bonavita had an Auto off switch...Actually, when I consider that the Bonavita was made for the U.S. without an Auto Off, it is a little surprising. I can see it being without the other so-called bells and whistles, but an Auto Off just seems like common sense and safety.

Posted May 16, 2012 link

The glass carafe version shuts off heat to the warming plate automatically after 2 hours - the thermal carafe coffee makers I have used all cut off after the water is finished heating and I imagine the Bonavita does as well.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 2:39am

EricBNC Said:

The glass carafe version shuts off heat to the warming plate automatically after 2 hours - the thermal carafe coffee makers I have used all cut off after the water is finished heating and I imagine the Bonavita does as well.

Posted May 17, 2012 link

The Melitta thermal version switches off the heater when the brew water has all passed through, then disconnects the power after ~15 minutes.  It actually flips the switch to "off".  I presume the Bonavita badged version does the same.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 2:31pm

__________ Said:

The Melitta thermal version switches off the heater when the brew water has all passed through, then disconnects the power after ~15 minutes.  It actually flips the switch to "off".  I presume the Bonavita badged version does the same.

Posted May 17, 2012 link

Mine does.
Granite_Stater

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 3:27pm

I just got mine the other day. The coffee didn't taste as hot as I expected so I purchased a thermometer. I'm getting a water temperature of 185 degrees, 10 - 20 degrees below the standard. Am I being too picky if I send it back? I certainly like the taste of coffee but it is a tad colder than I expected. Exchanging things purchased online is a hassle.
showing page 15 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.35252404213)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+