Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cleaning Bialetti moka coffee maker
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cleaning...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 3:34pm
Subject: Re: Cleaning Bialetti moka coffee maker

Miles_R Said:

I see that opinions continue to diverge. But while we are on the subject of Bialetti moka pots, I would like to ask people who have one that they use every day, how often do you replace the gasket? And how do you know when it needs to be replaced?

Posted January 19, 2012 link

I have had gaskets last two years plus, but it only takes leaving the pot on the burner past brew time once to kill a gasket. Keeping the gasket clear of used grinds helps to keep it healthy. Eventually it will start to dry up and become brittle, this is evident when removing it for a deep clean. A tell tale that it needs replacement is when you get leaks around the base and the top, if you keep going eventually it will barely brew.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 6:20pm

Miles_R Said:

I see that opinions continue to diverge. But while we are on the subject of Bialetti moka pots, I would like to ask people who have one that they use every day, how often do you replace the gasket? And how do you know when it needs to be replaced?

I've had my Bialetti brikka for about 5 years, never once have I had to replace the gasket.  If you do not use the moka pot for quite some time you may wish to put some water on the gasket and rub it into the gasket a bit with your fingers, but besides that there is no reason to change it (unless of course you burn it up for some reason by overheating, etc.)

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 9:15pm

Ha. Three pages (so far) on cleaning moka pots.

While I don't use it every day, I have used mine probably a few hundred times, and all the original parts (namely, the seal) are still good after six years.

Re: cleaning: mine is stainless, but I wouldn't think that aluminum would be different here.

I use only water and a paper towel most of the time to clean it.
Occasionally I use vinegar and water, but the real sweetie is Arm and Hammer coarse super washing soda.

I boil water in it as I would with coffee. I put the soda in the bottom, and when it brews up top, there's all kinds of crud that comes out. It has to be all from the tube, which can't be reached otherwise. Feels good.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 6:09am

lifeandpeace Said:

Ha. Three pages (so far) on cleaning moka pots.

While I don't use it every day, I have used mine probably a few hundred times, and all the original parts (namely, the seal) are still good after six years.

Re: cleaning: mine is stainless, but I wouldn't think that aluminum would be different here.

I use only water and a paper towel most of the time to clean it.
Occasionally I use vinegar and water, but the real sweetie is Arm and Hammer coarse super washing soda.

I boil water in it as I would with coffee. I put the soda in the bottom, and when it brews up top, there's all kinds of crud that comes out. It has to be all from the tube, which can't be reached otherwise. Feels good.

I will have to try the Arm and Hammer. I have always had varied sizes of nylon bristled brushes for cleaning tubes but I guess most people do not have them laying around.

I must say when it comes to judging time I am very bad, heck it seems like my 4.5 yo was born yesterday and I have no idea where my 21 mo came from, lol. I guess my gaskets have lasted years when I did not bake the pot, however I am prone to bake the pot.

SS pots are a breeze to care for, I have some aluminum pots that I got over 15 years ago and well they show their age yet perform perfectly.

I still do not understand not using soap and water for a deep clean, one throw away brew resolves any lingering soap while vinegar in an aluminum pot takes 3 throw away brews to remove the taste and smell.
toomuchkawfeeman

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno
Grinder: Ascaso iSteel I1
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 1:48pm

lifeandpeace Said:

This is an interesting idea, i've never thought of cleaning it that way.  Is this stuff the same as baking soda I wonder?
Miles_R
Miles_R

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 2:19pm

toomuchkawfeeman Said:

This is an interesting idea, i've never thought of cleaning it that way.  Is this stuff the same as baking soda I wonder?

Posted January 20, 2012 link

No, as I recall from using both in chemistry experiments as a boy. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate; washing soda is sodium carbonate.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2012, 4:41pm

toomuchkawfeeman Said:

Posted January 20, 2012 link

No it is not the same as baking soda. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing_soda
dunaii
dunaii

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: -
Drip: -
Roaster: -
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 5:02pm

germantownrob Said:

I have had gaskets last two years plus, but it only takes leaving the pot on the burner past brew time once to kill a gasket. Keeping the gasket clear of used grinds helps to keep it healthy. Eventually it will start to dry up and become brittle, this is evident when removing it for a deep clean. A tell tale that it needs replacement is when you get leaks around the base and the top, if you keep going eventually it will barely brew.

correct. No need to replace the gasket until the pot leaks. Depending on frequency and maintenance, a well rinsed pot can work easily 5-10 between gasket replacement (two years under heavy use I think). My mother has Bialetti pots 40 years old. In such lifespans the biggest threat to moka pot survival is unintentional handle burning (happens when you brew coffee talking to someone, not realizing the handle is over the burning  gas  flame. I suppose  electric stoves are safer from that point of view).
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Jan 22, 2012, 5:15pm

dunaii Said:

No need to replace the gasket until the pot leaks.

Posted January 22, 2012 link

I've never had a gasket wear out to the point of it leaking but I've found that after a while they get really ugly looking. I've replaced them for that reason alone. Unfortunately, for some reason it takes a fair number of brews for the seal on a brand new gasket to set with my moka pot. A leaky seal is annoying enough that I've put off replacement for as long as three or four years. Otherwise I'd toss out the brown funky thing and put in a fresh clean one a lot more often.
dunaii
dunaii

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: -
Drip: -
Roaster: -
Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 5:03am

jpender Said:

Otherwise I'd toss out the brown funky thing and put in a fresh clean one a lot more often.

Posted January 22, 2012 link

the last coffee pot I've bought has a transparent-whitish silicon gasket which is nice to see (Lagostina, not Bialetti). The Lagostina is nice, good-looking, but it's made in PRC and the internal filter is not made in a single piece, it's welded, and the internal parts are not machined as well as the Bialetti, even if , being a Lagostina, it's still a  well made object. We'll see if the silicon gasket will last.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cleaning...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39674782753)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+