Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
100% Kona Coffee at Whole Foods...Any Opinions?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > 100% Kona Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dvdchance

Expertise: I love coffee

Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2011, 10:34am
Subject: 100% Kona Coffee at Whole Foods...Any Opinions?

I was shopping at my local Whole Foods store this morning and I saw that they had a new coffee in their Allegro brand, 100% Kona Estate Coffee from Arianna Farms. It was whole bean vac sealed and not roasted in store like their other bulk coffees.

Has anyone given this a try? It was a bit pricey even for a Kona ($26 for 8oz) but it was tempting.

Estate has a specific meaning relating to Kona coffees doesn't it?
 View Profile Link to this post
faaparasite

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 9:43am
Subject: Re: 100% Kona Coffee at Whole Foods...Any Opinions?

I wouldn't pay that much for any coffee without knowing the roast date.
doubleOsoul
doubleOsoul
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra Epoque,3 MCals,...
Grinder: Mazzer, Cunill, Pede (s),...
Vac Pot: vintage
Drip: Nope...
Roaster: I hand roast
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 10:21am

I'd be suspicious with it not being roasted in the store - that and no roast date.
Pass!
OO
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 11:17am

Sometimes - not always and absolutely depending on the store - there will be a WF staffer who takes care of the coffee department and who will give you the straight story.  So if you're looking for Kona locally and ok with the price, it's worth asking about.  Many WF products are selected and sourced by the local staff, so there may be much more in-store knowledge available than with a HQ-driven chain such as Albertsons, Kroger or Safeway, and the chances are better that it hasn't sat around warehouse after warehouse being trucked around through the supply chain

Also, the normal WF policy seems to offer returns on defective or out-of-date ot stale product, which is usually no-questions-asked, but you might get confirmation in advance that's it's refundable if it comes out stale.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2011, 2:55pm

dvdchance Said:

Posted October 29, 2011 link

"Estate" is typically used for a mixture of all the sized beans grown on one farm, removing the number 3s.  This is in contrast to a consistent screen size, such as "extra fancy," the largest bean.  Hawaiian coffee standards.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dvdchance

Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Mon Oct 31, 2011, 7:42am

Thanks for all the great replies.

I asked the coffee roaster when I was at the Whole Foods, she is usually very knowledgable about the coffees and has some strong opinions on the ones she roasts, but she hadn't tried that yet. I had been hoping she had tried it because I know she has a strong preference to lighter roasts. All she said was that they just got it in, and it's expensive.

I should have looked more closely at the bag to see if it had a roasted on date. It had a date which I took to be the expiry date but really didn't look at it too closely, my mistake there. I did see that it mentioned it was from Arianna Farms so it did give the beans source.

Maybe I can ask them how long their expiry date is from the roast date? Or perhaps they sell the beans green and Allegro roasts them? That might be more likely I think.

How long will a roast such as this stay quality in a vac bag?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Nov 1, 2011, 1:57pm

dvdchance Said:

I was shopping at my local Whole Foods store this morning and I saw that they had a new coffee in their Allegro brand, 100% Kona Estate Coffee from Arianna Farms. It was whole bean vac sealed and not roasted in store like their other bulk coffees.

Has anyone given this a try? It was a bit pricey even for a Kona ($26 for 8oz) but it was tempting.

Posted October 29, 2011 link

You can find better prices for roasted Kona at www.huladaddy.com

Go with them, they are top notch.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
konacoffeefarmer
konacoffeefarmer
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Nov 1, 2011, 9:48pm

Arianna Farms is a reputable farm here in Kona. About the size of Hula Daddy. They are large compared to the more common 3-5 acre farms, but the family has their hands in the day-to-day affairs. Google them and you'll get their website with contact info. Pretty sure they'll give you all the info you need.

Thing is that to get the best Kona at best prices, deal with the Kona (or Ka'u) farms directly. Especially when you live in the US or Canada, as shipping is fast & cheap. Why pay middlemen when you can get it farm direct? Farmer gets more money, you'll get it cheaper.
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Wed Nov 2, 2011, 6:15am

konacoffeefarmer Said:

Arianna Farms is a reputable farm here in Kona. About the size of Hula Daddy. They are large compared to the more common 3-5 acre farms, but the family has their hands in the day-to-day affairs. Google them and you'll get their website with contact info. Pretty sure they'll give you all the info you need.

Thing is that to get the best Kona at best prices, deal with the Kona (or Ka'u) farms directly. Especially when you live in the US or Canada, as shipping is fast & cheap. Why pay middlemen when you can get it farm direct? Farmer gets more money, you'll get it cheaper.

Posted November 1, 2011 link

+1

--Josh
jimnyo

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:41pm

just in case anyone is interested...

i just returned from the big island. while there, i looked up who some of the winners were at the most recent kona coffee festival they have annually and arianna farms was one of them (and they've actually won more than once i believe). i called to see if i could buy their beans and they said no, i either had to order online (and pay shipping) or i could buy them on the mainland at whole foods (as op mentioned) or on the east coast under the roaster's name, willoughby's.  apparently, allegro and willoughby's are the only 2 roasters they use.

incidentally, i then asked the very kind lady at arianna if there was someone local that we could pick up beans from while were we were there. she mentioned hula daddy, so we went there. they were also very helpful and we toured their farm and sampled their coffee. when i came home, i noticed that on coffeereview.com, hula daddy had a number of 90+ rated coffees and also that according to here: http://www.coffeereview.com/review.cfm?ID=2803, you can get arianna farms coffee from a roaster in sunnyvale, ca. as a sidenote, arianna farms' website only offers their peaberry, but it is the same price as hula daddy's least expensive coffee.

lastly, i will never buy pre-ground kona coffee again, especially if it's less expensive. at the hula daddy farm, they told us about the borer beetle that plagues some coffee plants and showed us how they get inside the cherry. they sort through the beans and then put them in water and the ones that float are pulled b/c the borer beetle creates an air pocket than makes the cherry float. but their are companies who will buy the infected cherries and use them in their coffee and sell them. ewwww...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > 100% Kona Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329826116562)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+