Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
A new Aeropress method???
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A new Aeropress...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tedegreene
tedegreene

Espresso: Bezzera BZ40
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011, 7:47am
Subject: A new Aeropress method???

Is it a new method?  I really don’t know, I tried to search to see if this method has been reported or not but most discussions seems to evolve into arguments of:  “is it espresso or not? Is it French Press or better than FP? Does the metal filter cause high cholesterol? Is the inventor exploiting the forum for personal gain?” and other controversies. It’s amazing that such a simple device could generate such complicated issues. I simply got so lost in the minutia of what it is, I couldn’t discover how to use it to make the best coffee.   I would like to see a thread devoted ONLY to methods and will start the ball rolling with my own.  Moderators feel  free to merge this with the other postings if you think it is inappropriate for a new topic.

Double Extraction Method:  

I heat 8 Oz of water to 180 degrees in my microwave which takes 150 seconds.  While it is heating, I clean the remains of the last extraction from the press if needed and start grinding when 30 seconds remain on the microwave clock. I fill a double shot espresso cup moderately full with grinds, add them to the press then pour 4 0z of the hot water into the press and immediately return the remaining 4 Oz to the oven and hit the “add 30 second” button.   I then stir the brew about 10 seconds and press exactly according to directions supplied with the press except I stop just short of the plunger actually contacting the coffee bed to prevent disturbing it, usually finishing just as the bell rings telling me the microwave cycle is complete.  I then remove the plunger, add the newly heated water and press it through the undisturbed coffee bed pressing it fully this time to wring the last bit of flavor from the coffee.

This results in a much richer, sweeter, complex and hotter brew than I have obtained from following any of the methods I managed to find in other threads before giving up.   Sorry, I don’t know what temperature the second heating of the water produces because I really don’t care.  I just know it produces the best coffee yet, couldn’t be easier to duplicate and I’m thru experimenting for the time being.
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 4:22am
Subject: ...

Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Dec 20, 2011, 6:57am
Subject: Re: A new Aeropress method???

Netphilosopher's Recipe for I-Aeropress (inverted Aeropress).

12 oz Coffee Cup.

Grind:  Hario Mini Mill Slim modified, 13-14 declicks or particle size approximately 500 microns (Ditting setting 5).

Coffee:
Strong side: 23.5g
Weaker side: 20.0g

Brew water 125 - 130g (or ml), 205°F

Inverted brew.  

Usually bloom not an issue with 130g of water, but if so, 20g brew water presoak of grounds (may be cool or hot water) suppresses the bloom without initiating extraction.

Contact time 1:30, press thoroughly.

Produces approximately 100g of 4.2%-4.7% strength coffee.  Extraction is darn close to 20% ±.  

Top to 350g total (add approx 250g) with hot water for normal strength coffee (1.15% on weaker side to 1.35% on stronger side).

Can also store this overnight in refrigerator, and top to 350g with hot water in the morning for semi-instant.

I just began using my aeropress with a coava disk yesterday. I used Tim Wendelboe's inverted recipe as a starting point and have had decent results. It makes about 6oz of solid coffee really quickly. 45 second steep with a body weight and in control press. Still, I feel that there is just way to much room for experimentation with the aeropress and I would like to be able to make any size cup I want using a concentrate method. I have seen your recipe on a few threads and wanted to ask a few questions.

I have a good burr grinder that does a great consistent job, but have a hard time getting a rough estimate of the size you are using. I use nearly the same grind that I do for V60 and my nel. It's medium-fine like gritty sand. Obviously, everybody/bean/setup will require an altered grind, but it never hurts to have an approximate range.

1. Are the 20g of presoak water a required step that you use every time and are those 20g part of the 130g total brew water?

2. I did see a thread where another geek used your numbers as a ratio and scaled down/up to create brews of different sizes. So, if I wanted to make a small concentrate for an 8oz cup,  I would just scale down using the original ratio of 22g - 125/130ml water - 150ml top off water?

I bought the aeropress primarily for times when I am traveling, so I am doing a lot of experimenting now. I modified a Hario hand grinder using the OE lower bearing kit and I also own a  modded and unmodded Hario slim - those are the grinders that I would be using on the road, so I am trying to nail a grind with my Breville BCG800 to use as a starting point on my hand grinders. I really appreciate any advice/insight you can give. Tim W.'s method seems solid, but there are so many recipes/methods out there, I am just looking for a starting point to branch out from.

Thanks!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 1:23pm

Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 1:52pm

Netphilosopher Said:

I've found that the pre-soak is only needed if you have excessive bloom (which I usually do because my coffee is homeroasted).

See the other thread, but the simple calculation for the amount of coffee is:

How much coffee (beverage) do you want, multiply this by (desired strength / extraction [usually 20%]) or 6.25%.  Dilute any properly extracting method to the amount of coffee you started with and you'll be good to go.  The AeroPress is resistant to overextraction, and the actual brew ratio doesn't matter so long as you have a method with a high enough water temp and contact time to extract properly.

Posted December 21, 2011 link

Great info here and in the other thread. Understanding brew strength and the math behind all this is hugely helpful. I had been using 95 degree water and a minute of contact time when doing the 14 gram Wendelboe method. If I was to aim for an 8oz cup using 18 grams and used around 175-200 ml of water and inverted method, would a minute and a half steep and 30 second press be a good starting point? Then I could top off my cup to 8oz? Obviously, the amount of coffee used and the top off water would depen on the cup, but do you have suggestions for a good contact time? This sounds like a brew method that requires less precise timing than my typical nel or v60.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A new Aeropress...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23391699791)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+