Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Single serve machines that use grounds?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Single serve...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 3:13pm
Subject: Re: Single serve machines that use grounds?

psychobrew Said:

Does the Cuisinart unit add any of the false crema?

Posted May 22, 2011 link

Nope. The Senseo does, though, and it's easy to find cheap gently used on craigslist, etc. Also, it's durable. I do like the Clever idea, however. Couldn't be simpler to use with most any type of cup as long as you're willing to deal with ground coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
psychobrew

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 3:29pm

jbviau Said:

Nope. The Senseo does, though, and it's easy to find cheap gently used on craigslist, etc. Also, it's durable. I do like the Clever idea, however. Couldn't be simpler to use with most any type of cup as long as you're willing to deal with ground coffee.

Posted May 22, 2011 link

Will the Clever work with paper cups?
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 4:11pm

Sure, why not? If you really want to be 100% certain, just post the diameter of the cups you'll be using so we can check. As for weight, my Clever weighs in at just over 8 oz. (without water/coffee). Don't know how much it would take to crush the particular cups you plan to use.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 4:29pm

psychobrew Said:

I'm just kind of concerned about the convenience factor.  This is a work environment so the ideal solution is quick and easy with minimal clean up.  I also want cheap as possible from an operating standpoint.

After reading many reviews, it doesn't seem like any of the single serve coffee machines are very reliable so maybe I just go ahead and order the Cuisinart.  The SunCafe unit also looks interesting and adds false crema which is nice from a visual perspective.

Does the Cuisinart unit add any of the false crema?

Posted May 22, 2011 link

I wish I could vote for the CCD since I do agree with Sweaner about the cup quality, but measuring, grinding, and boiling the water and the control you have over these variables contributes greatly to the quality of the cup.  At work, unless you are on a coffee break, monitoring these variables would be less than ideal from a convenience standpoint. I can be doing 10 things and still have time to pull a pod out of a wrapper, pop it into the holder, and hit brew.  The brewed cup is waiting for me, I am not waiting for it.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
psychobrew

Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 4:48pm

EricBNC Said:

I wish I could vote for the CCD since I do agree with Sweaner about the cup quality, but measuring, grinding, and boiling the water and the control you have over these variables contributes greatly to the quality of the cup.  At work, unless you are on a coffee break, monitoring these variables would be less than ideal from a convenience standpoint. I can be doing 10 things and still have time to pull a pod out of a wrapper, pop it into the holder, and hit brew.  The brewed cup is waiting for me, I am not waiting for it.

Posted May 22, 2011 link

So with that in mind, I'm leaning towards a pod system (they are much cheaper in operation than the Keurig, Dolce Gusto, etc. right?).

So far, I've seen the Seneo, Tru, and SunCafe.  I'm leaning towards the SunCafe though wouldn't mind saving quite a bit of money with the Tru.
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 5:09pm

EricBNC Said:

Posted May 22, 2011 link

I can agree the CCD is a good idea depending on your job if you have the time and resources. I personally have a CCD, a pino kettle and a hario slim mill at work but I can see how someone else may not have the time or resources. The pino was a must have for this set up before I got it I was close to giving up coffee at work. I start the kettle and then go back to my work station where I grind using the hario. Once I'm done grinding the water is close to being ready I get the CCD and filter ready, pour, steep and drain the whole process doesn't take very long.
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 5:50pm

psychobrew Said:

So with that in mind, I'm leaning towards a pod system (they are much cheaper in operation than the Keurig, Dolce Gusto, etc. right?).

So far, I've seen the Seneo, Tru, and SunCafe.  I'm leaning towards the SunCafe though wouldn't mind saving quite a bit of money with the Tru.

Posted May 22, 2011 link

Yes, you'll save some $$ on pods in the long run relative to k-cups and other pricier formats. The SunCafe makes a decent cup, but I've read of a few reliability problems with it. The Tru is one I'd never heard of, a riskier choice. The Senseo is the most time-tested of those 3 pod machines you mentioned. You might also consider a Bunn MC Home or a Grindmaster GPOD in this price range.
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun May 22, 2011, 8:15pm

For something low hassle, maybe an Aeropress would work out well.  I've loving mine lately with the Coava Coffee (Able Brewing) metal Disk and if you have a hot water tap at work you could get away with not bringing in a kettle and clean up really is fast and easy.

Personally, I've got a Kyocera grinder and Mypressi Twist for espresso at work, but don't always find the time to use it.  I usually make a 200 ml cup in the morning before going in that gets me through to the afternoon or often all day.

I've also used Aeropresses, Clevers, and Chemexes at work but I think the Aeropress is probably the easiest and least intrusive.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
psychobrew

Posted Mon May 23, 2011, 10:22am

I'm starting to think I should up my budget and get a super automatic.  Seems they have the same convenience factor as single serve brewers and the difference in cost would quickly be made up by the lower cost of beans.

A good coffee maker is $150 (I prefer coffee from pressurized brewers).  A rebuilt (from a place I trust) super automatic is proximately $300.  Wouldn't I be better off just waiting a month and purchasing a super automatic?
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 7:46pm

Superautos have super reliability problems.

Here is an idea.  Get a Keurig.  With it you can use K-cups of course.  However, you can use pods with a Pod Holster, and ground coffee with a Solofill.  That way, depending upon the time you have, you can have it any way you want it.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Single serve...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387480020523)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+