Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Pour over kettle alternatives
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour over kettle...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
kwantran

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barazta Maestro
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: Vietnamese, V60, Clever,...
Roaster: Toastermaster TPC-3
Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010, 12:37pm
Subject: Pour over kettle alternatives

The buono is rising in price and the other ones are just ridiculously expensive. Are there any good alternatives to a controlled pouring kettle? If I took a tea kettle where the spout came from the bottom, would that work too?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Apr 3, 2010, 9:58pm
Subject: Re: Pour over kettle alternatives

Are you referring to an electric water kettle?
If so, there are several under $35 US (I own a Phillips, 5 years old and still heating perfectly. $29)
Most shut off automatically when boiling temp is reached.

If I have the wrong appliance, my apologies.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kwantran

Grinder: Barazta Maestro
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: Vietnamese, V60, Clever,...
Roaster: Toastermaster TPC-3
Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010, 7:04am

No. I'm talking about the kettles designed for a controlled pour for manual pour overs.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

That's the buono
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010, 8:43am

kwantran Said:

The buono is rising in price and the other ones are just ridiculously expensive. Are there any good alternatives to a controlled pouring kettle? If I took a tea kettle where the spout came from the bottom, would that work too?

Posted April 3, 2010 link

Not aware of one.   I love mine.  The mid-$50s price will hold as they can't even keep them in stock at that price.

http://shop.hariousa.com/product.sc?productId=18

The Tiamo (Chinese) is very sharp as well.  I wrote the manufacturer (no importer handles it) but heard nothing back -- 6 wks ago.

Click Here (www.shanghaicoffeetalk.com) and
Click Here (www.shanghaicoffeetalk.com)

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
Cracklebox
Cracklebox

Espresso: La Graziella lever
Grinder: Vario, Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 3&5, press (hario,...
Drip: chemex, CCD, V60, bonmac
Roaster: Behmor, popper
Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010, 1:29pm

I've been thinking about this as well.  I'm not sure if I want to shell out the cash for the Hario either.  On the more expensive end is the Takahiro kettle which makes the buono seem like a deal.  @BoldJava, that Taimo looks very similar, I hope to see it available.  I spoke to a barista at four barrel coffee (SF) and they thought it had much better pour control and construction.  Right now, I am using a stainless teapot much like you would find at a typical vietnamese or chinese restaurant: Click Here (www.kaboodle.com) .  That was about $10 and has good-enough pour control.  

Another alternative I've been considering is an oil drizzler which seems to generally be lower in price.  Local 123, a cafe in Berkeley CA is using an oil drizzler (by typhoon, pictured) which I subsequently saw at sur la table for $20.  It's not as stylish as the others, but I think it would work pretty well with its narrow spout.  Also, its capacity is 500ml/17 oz, so you could easily get used to consistently measuring the volume if you're not weighing your pour.  There are other interesting looking oil drizzlers out there like this one: Click Here (www.amazon.com)

The other alternative I'd like to try is a glass fat separator: Click Here (www.amazon.com) although it might not work as well with its wider pour spout.

I might go for the hario though, since I absolutely love my other hario products (cafepresso, skerton grinder).

@IMAWriter, The distinction here is that it's not necessarily used to heat the water in, but just for pouring, much like at a cafe doing single-cup pourover.  My electric kettle is basically a stainless pot with a broad lip.  Not so great for a controlled pour.  When the water reaches full boil, I dump it into my pouring kettle which also cools it down to a good brewing temperature (you could raise the temp by pre-warming the kettle before dumping).  For French press and CCD, I just pour from the electric kettle after waiting for it to cool to temperature.

Cracklebox: 0403001108.jpg
(Click for larger image)
BoldJava
BoldJava

Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010, 6:00pm

Cracklebox Said:

I've been thinking about this as well.  I'm not sure if I want to shell out the cash for the Hario either.  On the more expensive end is the Takahiro kettle which makes the buono seem like a deal.  @BoldJava, that Taimo looks very similar, I hope to see it available.  I spoke to a barista at four barrel coffee (SF) and they thought it had much better pour control and construction.  Right now, I am using a stainless teapot much like you would find at a typical vietnamese or chinese restaurant: Click Here (www.kaboodle.com) .  That was about $10 and has good-enough pour control.  

Posted April 4, 2010 link

We were in Honolulu in February.  I went through Chinatown with a fine-toothed comb, looking for the perfect kettle with the right pour control.  Despite turning over every pot I could see, nothing came close to touching the Hario.  I got skunked, but it left room in the suitcases for more greens to roast.

B|Java

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010, 9:56pm

I saw a glass tea kettle at a thrift store that had a metal plate underneath it that sat on a base with two switches that probably would have been perfect, but for some stupid reason I didn't buy it and it was gone the next time I went back.  I couldn't tell if it was an Inductive Heat unit or just a hot plate unit.

I've wondered if the 500 ml glass tea pots commonly sold on eBay for less then $20 would work, I like the idea of glass.  Here's two non-eBay links for the type of pot I was looking at at  Tea Mugs and Amazon, but I worry about breaking it and I think I'll just stick with my existing kettle, though it doesn't pour that well.

There also seem to be more and more glass kettles being imported with disks on them for induction cookers, I wonder if you can strip off the disk or use them on a radiant cooktop anyway.  Here's one non-eBay example:  Fantastic Tea Borosilicate Kettle.  It'd also be cool if you could get those conductive heatpads and put them on the base of a vacuum pot if you had an inductive cooktop.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
e53er
e53er

Espresso: NS Oscar, Solis SL90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: KMB, Hario V60 dripper
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Mon Apr 5, 2010, 8:24am

While I'm enjoying the Hario V60, I've also sidestepped the Buono in favor of a <$10, smaller, stainless steel kettle from TJ Maxx with a spout just as narrow as the Buono's. So you might want to search them or similar discount stores (Marshall's, Ross, etc.). The downside is that, depending on kettle capacity, you might need to fill the kettle more than once for larger pourovers.
s0ckeyeus

Posted Tue Apr 6, 2010, 5:54am

You'd think it'd be easy to find a kettle that would work...but it's not.  At least not in this country.  I use a regular tea kettle on the stove and transfer the water to a small 'kettle' used to make Arabic Tea in Africa.  It only holds about a cup of water.  The nice part is that I can gauge how much water I'm using in my pour without having to pre-measure the water I heat on the stove.  The bad part is that I bought my equipment in a third world country.  A teapot with a good spout might work, but you'd have to ensure that it's preheated.  Ethnic food/grocery stores (real ones, not yuppie alternatives) might have some stuff available as well.

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" - T.S. Eliot
BoldJava
BoldJava

Posted Wed Apr 7, 2010, 2:09pm

Score.

I stopped after work at a restaurant supply company to buy some cupping spoons.  15 of us are having a Yemen Fest at our home on Saturday.  What do I see in the clearance section but 6 lovely ladies, all in a row?

"How much you want for those stainless steel pots?"  The co-owner explained that the pots are the remnants of a large order that he had left over; $168 marked down to $100; $25; $20.  Then he said, "How about $5.00 each?  I have been trying to move them for 3 years..."

I walked with all of them and will pass them along to friends this weekend at cost.  The control is unbelievable.  No back-spill from the design.  I can literally measure out a drip at a time out of that 8" gooseneck spout and it goes right on the pourover, not back down the spout.

50 oz pots.  When I pour boiled water into them, they sit at 200 degrees.  Sweet.

B|Java, pleased

[Hario Buono V60 on left; Big Boy on right]

BoldJava: BigBoy.jpeg
(Click for larger image)

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour over kettle...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313967943192)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+