Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Looking for a pourover scale
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kwantran

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barazta Maestro
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: Vietnamese, V60, Clever,...
Roaster: Toastermaster TPC-3
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 2:31pm
Subject: Re: Looking for a pourover scale

yakster Said:

Scales shutting off mid-pour are quite annoying, and the kitchen scale I found at the thrift store will do this to me after three or four minutes when doing a Chemex pour-over.

One trick I've learned is to weigh the Chemex + Kone + Grounds first without taring the scale and then mentally add the water mass that I'm going to pour to know what the final weight will be.  I'll then tare the scale and start the pour, but if the scale shuts off, I know that I can just remove the Chemex and then restart the pour and rely on the total weight including Chemex and all to determine the endpoint.

You can also try restarting the scale after the bloom to prevent the shutoff, easy if you use a 100 ml dose of water for the bloom.

I've found very few scales offered that do not shut off.  Those that don't shut off usually have external AC adapters.

Posted May 3, 2011 link

For my current small precision scale, it shuts off if I don't press a button. So after I bloom, I change the mode from grams to ounce about every minute to make sure it doesn't turn off. The auto shuttoff is my biggest concern on all the scales. =[ Maybe I should look for an inexpensive postal scale.
 View Profile Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 5:24am

yakster Said:

One trick I've learned is to weigh the Chemex + Kone + Grounds first without taring the scale and then mentally add the water mass that I'm going to pour to know what the final weight will be.  I'll then tare the scale and start the pour, but if the scale shuts off, I know that I can just remove the Chemex and then restart the pour and rely on the total weight including Chemex and all to determine the endpoint.

You can also try restarting the scale after the bloom to prevent the shutoff, easy if you use a 100 ml dose of water for the bloom.

Posted May 3, 2011 link

Yeah, that's the work-around - but it's a problem one shouldn't have to deal with.

I've found very few scales offered that do not shut off.  Those that don't shut off usually have external AC adapters.

The one Coava sells now does come with an AC adapter, but you don't have to use it - Keith said they use it with rechargeable batteries, and they never have the cut-off problem.

--Josh
purosdave

Espresso: Gaggia Classic; Grimac...
Grinder: Pavoni PGC; Baratza Maestro;...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup
Drip: Bunn NHBX
Roaster: TO/SC; Poppery II
Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 8:28am

I can say for certain that the 2nd scale in the OP is nearly worthless.  I use it to weigh beans for roasting and it will give you different measurements depending on how the container is sitting on the scale and I have also had it jump up or down a gram after the item has been stable for several seconds.  I'm not too concerned about precision so it works for now, but I would rather have one that goes to .1g, is not so temperamental and doesn't shut off in the middle of action.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
crayonshinchan
crayonshinchan

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: B. Maestro & Vario, Peugeot...
Vac Pot: Cona D, Yama
Drip: Chemex, V60, Kone,...
Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 8:57am

I think the consensus is that "you get what you pay for."  If you're okay with that and can work around it, more power to you.  Personally, I wish I had invested in that AWS scale they sell at Blue Bottle.
crayonshinchan
crayonshinchan

Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 9:38am

It should be noted, after further reading, that the AWS scale sold on Blue Bottle LOOKS to also be sold at Amazon (it could be a different model since I read it has an auto-off and the BB description says it has a "continuous read out" which I assume means no auto-off) for about $30 US, but I saw that CoffeeGeek himself wrote a review on it and said the display is unreadable from anywhere other than eye-level.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 11:12am

My Salter scale also shuts off if I'm doing a 600ml ( 2x10oz mugs) Chemex brew. What I do is re-zero the scale half way through at 300ml and continue the pour for another 300ml giving 600ml without the scale shutting off.

Easy enough and re-taring the scale stops it switching off.
kwantran

Grinder: Barazta Maestro
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: Vietnamese, V60, Clever,...
Roaster: Toastermaster TPC-3
Posted Thu May 5, 2011, 8:38pm

crayonshinchan Said:

It should be noted, after further reading, that the AWS scale sold on Blue Bottle LOOKS to also be sold at Amazon (it could be a different model since I read it has an auto-off and the BB description says it has a "continuous read out" which I assume means no auto-off) for about $30 US, but I saw that CoffeeGeek himself wrote a review on it and said the display is unreadable from anywhere other than eye-level.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Posted May 4, 2011 link

Who would have thought that proper scales are so difficult to find, and the ones that are good, are way more expensive than cheaper ones that just need to disable their auto-off.
crayonshinchan
crayonshinchan

Posted Fri May 6, 2011, 1:34pm

kwantran Said:

Who would have thought that proper scales are so difficult to find, and the ones that are good, are way more expensive than cheaper ones that just need to disable their auto-off.

Posted May 5, 2011 link

Word.  The funny thing is, I feel the $20 "Biggest Loser" scale I use at the office, which is sold at Bed Bath and Beyond, is better than the Ozeri scale I have at home.  Even though it only has gram and lb/oz. (no fl oz.) units, it stays on long and eliminates the need to tap the scale to keep it on.
whd2102

Posted Sat May 7, 2011, 4:18pm

I have a Jennings, which is great but slightly overkill.

Check out the My Weigh 3001P. You can disengage the auto-off, which is very helpful. Pourover + auto-off don't mix well. It's only $30 or so and the build quality is solid.
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Sun May 8, 2011, 6:12pm

whd2102 Said:

I have a Jennings, which is great but slightly overkill.

Check out the My Weigh 3001P. You can disengage the auto-off, which is very helpful. Pourover + auto-off don't mix well. It's only $30 or so and the build quality is solid.

Posted May 7, 2011 link

Can you confirm the 1g resolution on the My Weigh? Seems like it would be sufficiently precise for pour-over, but if you wanted it to do double-duty and weigh your coffee as well, the .5g resolution of the Jennings starts to seem less like overkill and more like a requirement. I for one have a separate scale with .1g resolution that I use to weigh tea or coffee before brewing, but that came before the pour-over scale. It was about $10 on Amazon and only has a capacity of like 500g. So, for the same $45 you could have one scale or two.

--Josh
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361377000809)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+