Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Looking for a pourover scale
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
whd2102

Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 12:58pm
Subject: Re: Looking for a pourover scale

JPDyson Said:

Can you confirm the 1g resolution on the My Weigh? Seems like it would be sufficiently precise for pour-over, but if you wanted it to do double-duty and weigh your coffee as well, the .5g resolution of the Jennings starts to seem less like overkill and more like a requirement. I for one have a separate scale with .1g resolution that I use to weigh tea or coffee before brewing, but that came before the pour-over scale. It was about $10 on Amazon and only has a capacity of like 500g. So, for the same $45 you could have one scale or two.

Posted May 8, 2011 link

The MyWeigh has 1g res., which I feel is more than enough for weighing coffee for filter prep. (espresso's another story, as is the general practice of home espresso, which isn't my cup of tea). For the Jennings, it's not just the sticker price that one has to consider. If there's ever a need to (re)calibrate it, the proper calibration weight (4000g) doesn't come cheap.
 View Profile Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 1:04pm

whd2102 Said:

The MyWeigh has 1g res., which I feel is more than enough for weighing coffee for filter prep. (espresso's another story, as is the general practice of home espresso, which isn't my cup of tea). For the Jennings, it's not just the sticker price that one has to consider. If there's ever a need to (re)calibrate it, the proper calibration weight (4000g) doesn't come cheap.

Posted May 9, 2011 link

We differ on that point. If 1g resolution is sufficient (note that you could have the same reading for 24.5g or 25.4g) then I'd argue you're barely doing yourself a favor in the first place with the scale. The calibration issue isn't a very big one to me; if it's a high-quality scale, its initial calibration will hold nicely. If you aren't calibrating it, see my first point.

I just don't see the benefit in not using a precise, well-calibrated scale. You may as well stick to volumetric measurements.

--Josh
whd2102

Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 1:47pm

JPDyson Said:

We differ on that point. If 1g resolution is sufficient (note that you could have the same reading for 24.5g or 25.4g) then I'd argue you're barely doing yourself a favor in the first place with the scale. The calibration issue isn't a very big one to me; if it's a high-quality scale, its initial calibration will hold nicely. If you aren't calibrating it, see my first point.

I just don't see the benefit in not using a precise, well-calibrated scale. You may as well stick to volumetric measurements.

Posted May 9, 2011 link

There are common-sense ways of avoiding the 24.5/25.4 possibility (and I think we'd disagree on the significance of that possible variance) but to me what's most in question here isn't "Is a scale useful for pour-over" (why yes, it is) or even "Which scales do a great job?" (many will, some of course are better than others) but what's the value-added of one scale to another. I've used a 1g scales, .5 scales and .1 scales both for weighing coffee and for weighing water weight and I don't feel that a .1 makes that much of a difference in the final cup when it comes to brew quality and brew consistency. This is my opinion; you seem to have a different one. Agree to disagree I suppose.
Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 6:14pm

yakster Said:

I've found very few scales offered that do not shut off.  Those that don't shut off usually have external AC adapters.

Posted May 3, 2011 link

What are some of the brand names for those with AC adapters?
jrjunior

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Drip: Chemex, V60
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:33pm

whd2102 Said:

There are common-sense ways of avoiding the 24.5/25.4 possibility (and I think we'd disagree on the significance of that possible variance) but to me what's most in question here isn't "Is a scale useful for pour-over" (why yes, it is) or even "Which scales do a great job?" (many will, some of course are better than others) but what's the value-added of one scale to another. I've used a 1g scales, .5 scales and .1 scales both for weighing coffee and for weighing water weight and I don't feel that a .1 makes that much of a difference in the final cup when it comes to brew quality and brew consistency. This is my opinion; you seem to have a different one. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Posted May 9, 2011 link

I agree. The 1 gram calibration works well and produces consistent results. I have the MyWeigh scale referenced here and you can disable the auto shut-off and it has an ac adaptor available for purchase. The ac adaptor is terrific, I used the batteries at first and they burn out too fast, been plugging it in ever since. The MyWeigh is used by George Howell in 1 of his pourover videos shown here if anyone wants to view the scale in action:

Click Here (how2heroes.com)
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307601213455)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+