Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Looking for a pourover scale
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
kwantran

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barazta Maestro
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: Vietnamese, V60, Clever,...
Roaster: Toastermaster TPC-3
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 8:29am
Subject: Looking for a pourover scale

I'm looking to get a bigger scale for pourovers. I have one that is only a few inches wide/long so I can do single cups fine, but anything bigger (such as clevers and chemexes) I have to preweigh the water.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Anyone have any experience with these two? I would be using these for just measuring pourovers. Measuring the beans themselves I am using another scale with a precision of .1g

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 8:37am
Subject: Re: Looking for a pourover scale

I can't say if either of those is any good, but I do have the Salter scale which was pictured (and at one time, for sell) from the Coava website. I loved the look of it, with the stainless platform and big, red LED read-out. I've had it randomly cut off on me in the middle of a pour, which sucks a lot if you didn't catch the measurement before it did (never mind that it's usually a half-second behind you anyway). Last couple of pots, it hasn't done that, but I had a couple of days in a row where it would just cut off, mid pour. Curiously, they now sell a different scale (I think the one in the CG press pot video).

I sort of wish I could get one without an auto cut-off for that reason.

--Josh
crayonshinchan
crayonshinchan

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: B. Maestro & Vario, Peugeot...
Vac Pot: Cona D, Yama
Drip: Chemex, V60, Kone,...
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 11:48am

I have the first one.  I don't recommend it.  It looks awesome and it works.  But the problem is the auto-off.  With no activity, it only stays on for like a minute or two at the most.  It's frustrating when you're doing other things like setting up cups, trays, etc. and you lose your measurement.

When you turn it back on, it tares automatically so you're back to zero.  Not good.

Look for something that stays on longer.  Unfortunately, I overlooked this and regret it.

I would buy something like this: http://store.bluebottlecoffee.net/Detail.bok?no=105

That being said, I've had better luck with cheap scales too simply because they stay on longer.
kwantran

Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 12:09pm

When you say inactivity, do you mean inactivity from not pushing the buttons or just the weight not changing? I wouldn't mind just tapping it to keep it from shutting off. This scale will mostly for home use so I won't really be distracted by setting up trays and cups too much. Just looking for something not too expensive for just making pourovers at home.

Thanks.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 12:12pm

kwantran Said:

When you say inactivity, do you mean inactivity from not pushing the buttons or just the weight not changing? I wouldn't mind just tapping it to keep it from shutting off. This scale will mostly for home use so I won't really be distracted by setting up trays and cups too much. Just looking for something not too expensive for just making pourovers at home.

Thanks.

Posted May 3, 2011 link

a tap will do the trick.
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 12:26pm

or a hard exhalation.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 12:27pm

Just to be clear, the problem I was describing was "mid-pour" shutting off, not after some period of inactivity.

Actually, after I posted this, a rep from Coava reached out to me and mentioned that this is the very same reason they stopped using/carrying the Salter and started using the Jennings (which he says has been great).

--Josh
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 12:55pm

May I ask why you want to weigh water?  Isn't the density of water sufficiently stable and consistant for volumetric measurements to suffice?

Phil

kwantran Said:

I'm looking to get a bigger scale for pourovers. I have one that is only a few inches wide/long so I can do single cups fine, but anything bigger (such as clevers and chemexes) I have to preweigh the water.

Anyone have any experience with these two? I would be using these for just measuring pourovers. Measuring the beans themselves I am using another scale with a precision of .1g

Thanks.

Posted May 3, 2011 link

Philip J. Keleshian
kwantran

Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 1:34pm

PJK Said:

May I ask why you want to weigh water?  Isn't the density of water sufficiently stable and consistant for volumetric measurements to suffice?

Phil

Posted May 3, 2011 link

It is if I measure the water before hand with an accurate graduate cylinder or beaker. I like using a scale because I can measure the process of my pour and I don't have to worry about premeasuring the water. Also, I like to overfill my pouring kettle so that the temperature of the water stays more constant. Also, depending how fresh the water is in my water tower, it is very difficult to measure that by volume.
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue May 3, 2011, 1:54pm

Scales shutting off mid-pour are quite annoying, and the kitchen scale I found at the thrift store will do this to me after three or four minutes when doing a Chemex pour-over.

One trick I've learned is to weigh the Chemex + Kone + Grounds first without taring the scale and then mentally add the water mass that I'm going to pour to know what the final weight will be.  I'll then tare the scale and start the pour, but if the scale shuts off, I know that I can just remove the Chemex and then restart the pour and rely on the total weight including Chemex and all to determine the endpoint.

You can also try restarting the scale after the bloom to prevent the shutoff, easy if you use a 100 ml dose of water for the bloom.

I've found very few scales offered that do not shut off.  Those that don't shut off usually have external AC adapters.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318482875824)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+