Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best Grinder for Drip Coffee?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best Grinder for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2011, 8:03am
Subject: Re: Best Grinder for Drip Coffee?

My 30+ year old Hamilton Beach burr grinder does a great job; so does my Capresso Infinty.
 View Profile Link to this post
jkoll42

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2011, 9:13am

I agree that the results with a less expensive burr grinder can be very good - especially compared to preground or whirly grinders.  I have had a number of krups and other low end burrs and then used a KA Proline for many years.  As my roasts improved, and I got the temp control of the Technivorm I began to really pick out the bitterness from what I learned to be overextracted fines.  Don't get me wrong, my drip was great with the old grinder but now I realize how much better it can be.  

I don't think I would pay retail for the LPG despite the improvement in the cup.  I was lucky enough after years of trolling craigslist to find a new in box LPG-2 for $100 so cost was a nonissue.  That being said, after seeing what is possible with the grinder I would likely pay $300-400.

Buy what you can afford and enjoy the results!
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2011, 10:32am

I suppose that there are diminishing returns to anything past two flat rocks to crush the beans and a tin can to steep them in.

Several times over the 45 years of my coffee drinking, I was sure that my equipment/procedures/beans just couldn't get any better. Then a cup would slip in on me that would shatter my illusions. You never know what you are missing if you don't open your mind to the possibilities.

While it's certainly possible to get a "good" cup of drip from a $150 grinder, it's grossly unfair to suggest that the improvement in the cup from a quality grinder with burrs designed for the purpose isn't worth while. It reminds me of a time not that long ago when some people here on CG were insisting they were getting fantastic results with a blade grinder for espresso. The benchmark has moved up considerably since then.

It's not unusual, actually its pretty normal, for participants on this forum to spend thousands on an espresso machine and grinder. There are several, myself included, that take press and drip just as serious. Certainly it's no shame to have lesser equipment but we shouldn't be closed minded to the idea that perhaps there is something better out there unless we've actually done a direct comparison.

The entire purpose of this site imho is to elevate the standard of coffee in our cup be it espresso, press, vac, drip or pourover. Buy what you can afford and enjoy whats in the cup. Just remember that someday one might have to eat their words for remarking that "my (your brand here) $100 grinder makes wonderful coffee and there is little or no benefit of spending more just for drip/press".

Dan Brewer
AaronMiller

Espresso: VBM DD
Grinder: Major, Kyocera
Vac Pot: Espro press
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2011, 11:22am

The average coffee drinker would agree that most of the setups on this site are overkill, but the average coffee drinker doesn't enjoy the quality that we do. If you can afford it then it's not overkill :)
jkoll42

Posted Fri Apr 15, 2011, 11:44am

Well stated Dan

I wish the OP would get back in here to give some clarification.  I can only assume that "Best grinder for drip" had some qualifications such as price or size.  

If you could give us a price range I am sure there will be many suggestions that would be more useful to you.  Otherwise my vote would be for a Mahlkonig Guatemala.  Where's your diminishing return now :)
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2011, 9:15pm

1.Baratza starbucks refurb. 2. Baratza preciso refurb. 3. Bunn lpg. I bought the starbucks Barista for work, and it's fine (has the bigger motor). Then picked up a used Bunn FPG which is similar to the LPG. The lingering smell after grinding with Bunn is very strong, and pleasant. It produces a clean crisp cup, when combined with my Bunn VPR. Combined cost of both Bunn machines was $350 (used). The appearance of the appliance is important and Bunn is butt ugly. An all black LPG with carbon fiber wrap would look cool! My Bunn kit resides in the garage on an old patternmakers bench.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011, 5:03am

Well if you can regularly get a Bunn LPG for the prices mentioned here, I retract what I said about "overkill".

I get what you guys are saying about quality (though the "diminishing returns" counter point of using two rocks betrays a misunderstanding of the term and its use). In fact I know of at least one person using a Mazzer Mini exclusively for Espresso who as doserless Rocky for vacuum brewing. I'd just like to posit we (here meaning coffeegeek members) don't all have that budget or counter space and still care about quality.

--Josh
jkoll42

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011, 3:12pm

hankua Said:

The appearance of the appliance is important and Bunn is butt ugly. An all black LPG with carbon fiber wrap would look cool! My Bunn kit resides in the garage on an old patternmakers bench.

Posted April 15, 2011 link

I am also into appearance - my next project is to make a carbon fiber knock box holder and work on making a carbon portafilter handle.  The LPG is indeed ugly, but it is growing on me.  Almost so ugly that it looks cool.  But... now you have my brain thinking about doing a carbon wrap so thanks a lot.  That's really what I need is to spend more $!
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011, 4:35pm

No misunderstanding Josh. Grinders are simply a tool with which to break down beans into particles that will allow the extraction of sugars, oils and other flavor components. So can rocks be used on a very basic level.

Certainly not everyone has the room, desire or the budget for multiple grinders, especially commercial models. That's where (hopefully) the new Preciso will be as capable of double duty as promised.

What may not be appearent is that not everyone rushes out and buys 10 espresso appliances at one time. It took several years watching for deals to accumilate the coffee gear I own and several pieces were used. I will admit to ordering the Preciso last week. I've really been wanting to try out a conical grinder and Mark Princes comments on the new burr set pushed me over the edge.

Dan Brewer
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011, 5:54pm

I still think the Starbucks Barista refurb at $80 is great grinder to have on the counter, and looks nice as well. It's said to be a cross between a Virtuoso and Maestro, with the larger motor, weighted base and pulse button. It also has on and off switch instead of the timer, which is more convenient. My first one was D.O.A., and the replacement was out of adjustment for drip which required taking it apart. Both grinders appeared to be unused, and in almost perfect condition. One had a little surface rust on the top burr from sitting around I suspect. Same basic color as a Mazzer Mini. No problem getting parts which are inexpensive compared to other makes of grinders.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best Grinder for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275362968445)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+