Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Neapolitan Flip Over Coffee Brewer
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Neapolitan Flip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011, 1:15pm
Subject: Neapolitan Flip Over Coffee Brewer

While cleaning out our garage today my wife found a wonderful old grease straining can left behind along with some other trinkets collected and forgotten by the previous owner.  Thankfully after inspecting her find, I saved this Neapolitan flip over coffee brewer from a slimy existence.  It needed cleaning and the lid was screwed on crooked (might be why it was left behind - it took some technique to remove without damaging the device).  This is a large item - a 12 cup pot I guess based on the size and the number 12 on the bottom - the "Made in Italy" is almost gone.  Not exactly the crown jewels, but still a fun find!

EricBNC: Neopolitan Flip Pot.JPG
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
dtlord
dtlord
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07sde
Grinder: Super Jolly, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Silex Victory, Cory, Sunbeam...
Drip: pour over w/ mesh or paper
Roaster: A nice guy named Roy
Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011, 9:55pm
Subject: Re: Neapolitan Flip Over Coffee Brewer

As many I know would say....SCORE!

.....No matter where you go, there you are...
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Mar 19, 2011, 10:18pm

EricBNC Said:

While cleaning out our garage today my wife found a wonderful old grease straining can left behind along with some other trinkets collected and forgotten by the previous owner.  Thankfully after inspecting her find, I saved this Neapolitan flip over coffee brewer from a slimy existence.  It needed cleaning and the lid was screwed on crooked (might be why it was left behind - it took some technique to remove without damaging the device).  This is a large item - a 12 cup pot I guess based on the size and the number 12 on the bottom - the "Made in Italy" is almost gone.  Not exactly the crown jewels, but still a fun find!

Posted March 19, 2011 link

I have  one of these too, however I could never get a good cup from it.  Any tips?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 4:01pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I have  one of these too, however I could never get a good cup from it.  Any tips?

Len

Posted March 19, 2011 link

I have tried making exactly one pot so far so no secret to success here.  I did heat the water in an electric kettle instead of a stove top before pouring it into the bottom (top?) of the brewer. I also used a Mr Coffee basket filter to line the bottom of where the water drips down and poured some coffee on top since the level of grit could be substantial otherwise.

No measuring here - all by feel, just like back in the old country, back in the old times, times before measurements... and fire... no, not quite that old, but still old.

The coffee? It tastes like filter drip and should be better with a little more care - the drip rate slows using the filter but is quicker than one would think - what looks like 20 - 22 fl oz of fresh off the boil hot water went through a fine pile of maybe 40g (give or take 5g) of grounds in three or so minutes.  The cup is bright and has decent but not overpowering body - reminiscent of the cup my BUNN NHBX auto drip produces, albeit with much less fanfare.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 7:20pm

I have the newer copper one, or at least it looks like copper.  The cup it made was horrible.  Bitter and Metallic.  Maybe I need to season it a bit.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
derevaun
derevaun
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Shoes and wallet
Grinder: Hario Mini, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Clever, BCM4
Roaster: My neighbor's Diedrich
Posted Mon Mar 21, 2011, 9:03pm

I've put maybe ten reps on my ~15oz Neapolitan brewer. I'd have to use it a lot more before reaching a level of confidence with it. The big thing for me has been timing: since the coffee is in the drip chamber while the water is heating, it's crucial to stop and flip before it reaches boiling. I've read that you can intuit the decisive moment from the way vapor leaves the vent hole, but the best I can figure is that only trial and error will get me there.

It's pretty easy to use by preheating. That sort of diminishes the fun of using it, IMHO, and so far all the good cups I've made with it haven't been unique, revelatory cups, just good.

Mine's aluminum, gotten on Ebay already seasoned and aged, FWIW. I'm not planning to flip it (sorry) back on the market just yet, in fact I scooted it to the front of the shelf last weekend. Because, it's just really a pretty cool brewing device. Thanks for raising the topic!

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011, 4:37am

I don't think these devices were ever intended to make a refined cup of coffee.  They are a simple utilitarian device, and often fairly roughly manufactured (apart from the uber-expensive Alessi ones).  If you need a sophisticated brew with accurate control of the process, I don't think I'd even try to achieve it with one of these.

I do like them, though. Nostalgic and simple.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011, 8:03am

__________ Said:

I don't think these devices were ever intended to make a refined cup of coffee.  They are a simple utilitarian device, and often fairly roughly manufactured (apart from the uber-expensive Alessi ones).  If you need a sophisticated brew with accurate control of the process, I don't think I'd even try to achieve it with one of these.

I do like them, though. Nostalgic and simple.

Posted March 22, 2011 link

I agree 100%.  These are very basic self contained pour overs.  I can envision an old country worker carrying one of these (probably the smaller size) out to a lumber camp, a mine, or possibly a stone quarry with his lunch for the day.  With this brewer he has two containers each with separate handles - one part with a spout for pouring and the other one open to use as a cup to drink the coffee.  Both cheap and durable to handle the rugged nature of it's intended environment of use, this simple tool might have grown from these roots into a more common household item over time.

HLing
HLing
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Manual Stone Quern
Roaster: stove top cast iron pan or...
Posted Sun Apr 10, 2011, 12:32pm

After coming back from Hong Kong I've been wanting a siphon coffee maker. Instead of buying a new one, I thought I'd look for used ones. I walked into a Thrift shop and walked right to part of a Neapolitan pot instead. In the bottom it said 6, Made in Italy. Found the rest of the parts and got it for $2.99.  So, today I used it instead of the aeropress. Same amount of beans (240 beans, or, two aeropress scoop of whole beans) and same stone ground particle size (fine).  It will be easy enough to bring the water to a simmer before putting in the filter cone so that the grounds are not steamed. This first time though i just put all the parts together right from the start. The tiny pin hole showed bubble/steam soon, signal to turn it off. Then, after a few seconds for the water to calm down I flipped it over. Important to flip using both hands instead of one. The spout is well-designed, with a special fitted part (kind of sharp if not careful) one can feel from the inside of the pot for guided pouring. It took a while for the coffee to drip down, though, I was able to pour some before it's coompletely drained due to the good design.  The coffee was strong and needed dilution, but it was as good as the aeropress.  

The added advantage of the Neapolitan coffee maker is in how the pot is preheating during the precess without extra step. I realized that the bottom (the top after inversion) is/can be the preheated cup one can use to drink the coffee, too. So, it really is a camper's dream. Even if one chose to put the filter cone in at the last minute, the top can be fitted over, still pre-heating.  Cleaning was a breeze. Unscrew, dump, rinse, let dry.  No extra filter needed, no cloth, paper, mesh to buy.  Love the old-world wisdom!

HLing: Untitled.jpg
(Click for larger image)
HLing
HLing
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Manual Stone Quern
Roaster: stove top cast iron pan or...
Posted Mon Apr 11, 2011, 8:53am

Had a "DUH!"moment just now, as I made my coffee with the Neapolitan flip-over coffee maker: Was thinking how I've gotta get more practice flipping this thing when it dawned on me that I don't HAVE to flip it. I was heating up the water without the coffee filter cone because I didn't want to be steaming the grounds prematurely. ...so then, what this really is , is a pour-over, as someone else had mentioned.  So, uh, I don't have to worry about the flip. No need to flip. I could even use the fancy pouring technique if i wanted to, instead of dumping all of the water at once.....Lots of control here, with nice preheat features built-in.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Neapolitan Flip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361458063126)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+