Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cuisinart coffee machines with grinders
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuisinart coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bdd888

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Posted Wed Mar 9, 2011, 8:51pm
Subject: Cuisinart coffee machines with grinders

I'm considering one w/ a grinder built-in. One has a larger hopper and has a Burr-Grinder. The other I'm guessing a "standard" grinder. Does having a "Burr-grinder" really make a difference? Or would I be better off going with a Cuisinart coffee machine w/o a grinder. And buying a grinder. If so which grinder would you recommend (why) and where would I find it. I like in Markham. So I prefer not to have to drive downtown to buy.
 View Profile Link to this post
sea221

Expertise: I live coffee

Drip: French Press/Bunn
Roaster: SC/TO and 2 Kilo gas Drum...
Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 5:16pm
Subject: Re: Cuisinart coffee machines with grinders

I would not recommend the built in grinder system it's messy to keep clean it will gunk up fast with the steam/heat.I bought one about 8 years ago and took it back.What a mess,hope this helped Rich
bdd888

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 6:32pm

Thanks Rich. But I'm now already considering a TechniVorm Moccamaster and buying maybe a Baratza grinder. :)

BUT...if I go cheap I could get a Cuisinart w/o a built-in grinder and buy a grinder. How is the quality of the coffee from a Cuisinart w/o the grinder. I was reading up on brewers and they said most mass market coffee machines don't produce enough heat with their steel heating elements. Take too long. Don't evenly pour hot water on the grinds. Etc. In general produce "flat tasting" coffee compared to a TechniVorm.
robertl
robertl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 6:46pm

There are other brewers that can brew at the correct temp. I have a Capresso MT-500 and a Melitta BCM-4 both brew between above 195. I don't own one but Bunn has a good reputation amongst CG's.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 7:54pm

I think the Technivorm KBT-741 is a great $200 coffee maker.  Trouble is they cost $300.  If the dollar skids far enough down the value slope these will be $400 coffee makers, or if this is more than the market can bear, simply no longer available in the US.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
bdd888

Posted Thu Mar 10, 2011, 10:34pm

robertl Said:

There are other brewers that can brew at the correct temp. I have a Capresso MT-500 and a Melitta BCM-4 both brew between above 195. I don't own one but Bunn has a good reputation amongst CG's.

Posted March 10, 2011 link

Hi Robert,

Why did you end up with a Capresso and not a TechniVorm? I'm assuming you must have considered it when you were buying. Are Capresso's just as reliable? Well made? Old company?

Thanks for recommending Bunn and Capresso. I like the fact that they are programable. Keep the temp at around 200F. Has good spray tech (Bunn). Good rep. Question now is which way do I go? Bunn Or Capresso. Bunn brewers are more expensive. Like their Phase Brew & Velocity series. I know Green Beanery carries the Velocity Pod (2 models) and a bunch of other commercial models. Love to find some one in Toronto who carries the Phase Brew series and more Velocity models. Or a good Canadian online retailer. Ideas?

But for some reason most people consider TechniVores "the best". Not sure why. As there are other good choices like Bunn & Capresso.
robertl
robertl

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011, 9:23am

bdd888 Said:

Hi Robert,

Why did you end up with a Capresso and not a TechniVorm? I'm assuming you must have considered it when you were buying. Are Capresso's just as reliable? Well made? Old company?

Posted March 10, 2011 link

The Technnivorm was not in my budget at the time I bought the Capresso used on ebay. If you read the consumer reviews about the Capresso MT-500 on CG they are mixed. I liked the SS lined heating element, the thermal carafe and a 6-8 minute brew time. The spray head could be a little better but I usually don't put the carafe under the machine until the filter fills half way with water so the grounds get fully saturated(just don't get distracted and forget that was a mess haha). I bought the MT-500 over the MT-600 because I read they were produced in different locations and the 500 was built better, its been a while since I researched so I forget where. But to be honest I don't use the Capresso anymore it has become my wifes coffee maker I have become a dedicated clever coffee dripper user.
bdd888

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011, 10:22am

I'm considering the Capresso  MG600 for the glass carafe. Prefer being able to see how much coffee was brewed (even though you would already know how much you brewed...water used, scoops of grinds). Personal thing. And I think it has a warming plate good for up to 2 hours.

Click Here (www.greenbeanery.ca)

They also have I think 3 Capresso grinders. What do you think of them? I might buy the $77.00 one. Was considering a Baratza.
robertl
robertl

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011, 12:30pm

For that price I recommend a refurbished baratza. A Baratza will give you a more consistant grind, they are user servicable and Baratza sells parts for cheap if needed. I have  personally disassembled mine I was surprised how easy it was.
Click Here (www.baratza.com)
bdd888

Posted Fri Mar 11, 2011, 6:00pm

I've been hearing that about Baratza grinders. Might get the Virtuoso. Not sure if they sell refurb units up here. Don't know if I want to order from Baratza USA and pay the shipping and duty fees. Besides I prefer buying new. :)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuisinart coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282454967499)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+