Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Sub-$100 Conical Burr Grinders
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Sub-$100 Conical...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011, 2:02pm
Subject: Sub-$100 Conical Burr Grinders

Up first is the Cuisinart CBM-18 conical burr grinder. This programmable model is not mentioned much if hardly at all on this forum. but for $80 on Amazon, it ranks as a decent value. It grinds well enough for Aeropress and drip. For French press the $100 (discontinued?) Maestro is superior but not worlds of difference better.  The competition for this grinder is the new Bodum conical burr and the Black Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder. I have not used those two so I cannot comment.  After using this grinder for the past month,  I would not hesitate recommending this unit to someone looking for a conical burr grinder priced in the under one hundred dollar category.

Below are some shots of the Cuisinart (top), Capresso (middle), and Bodum (bottom). The Bodum burr photo's come from rwgamer's post here: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/513743 - there is a review of the Bodum there as well.  Capresso photo's are from Amazon.

EricBNC: All.JPG
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
ChemistryNerd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doser
Drip: Aeropress and French Press
Roaster: My Local Roaster(s), and...
Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011, 2:26pm
Subject: Re: Sub-$100 Conical Burr Grinders

My local roaster sells the Capresso Infinity out of their shop exclusively, and the owner who has been in the coffee biz for 18 years reccomends it to anyone looking for a grinder for home use only. They use it for their 3000$ Rancilio Espresso Maker, and it pulls great shots.

She said the 500$+ Grinders are superior, but not necessary for good coffee and espresso.
I would stick with Baratza, Personally. Although I have a Rocky...
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011, 3:09pm

ChemistryNerd Said:

She said the 500$+ Grinders are superior, but not necessary for good coffee and espresso.

Posted January 19, 2011 link

I realize the thread topic is cheap grinders but her statement rubs me wrong. Is she satisfied with selling "good" coffee?

If I were looking for merely good coffee, I wouldn't be reading coffeegeek.com.

Dan Brewer
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011, 3:58pm

I see a lot of similar answers to the question:
"I have $200, what espresso machine should I get?"  
Eventually the answer comes down to:
"none - save your money - get a grinder and a French press, pour over or Aeropress for now."

This answer works for me and is good advice.

What if the total budget really is small?

$10 - $30 buys the press, Aeropress, or pourover, $20 - $30 buys the scale, $30 - $50 buys the electric (or not) kettle, and $10 - $15 buys the fresh beans.  assuming they already have a cup and a spoon, the remaining budget is $75 - $130.  The Maestro used to be a safe bet at this price point, but I can't find it available for sale right now.  The next step up starts at $150 and then moves to $200.  For someone starting out, that spread might be more than they can or want to pay.  These burr shots give at least a view of the business end of the product available at this price point, and my review of one of these hopefully will start the ball rolling for others with experience to add their opinion to help those on a budget.  

FYI - Call your local Williams Sonoma if you are reading this with the intent of buying a sub $100 grinder soon - my area store still had two Virtuoso's left for $79 this afternoon.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Sun Jan 23, 2011, 12:35pm

Although this image is already posted in an espresso grinder thread of mine, I thought it would fit in here too.  These all should do a great job grinding for, Aeropress, pour over and auto drip, French press, percolator and probably  pressurized portafilter espresso machines. I tried to line up the ones I think look the most similar above and below each other.  Some are close, others look exactly the same.  The Baratza Virtuoso and the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso are not sub $100 grinders (the Virtuoso was, for a very limited time) but are considered very nice grinders for non-espresso (and nice for espresso) grinding.

Upper left: Baratza Maestro.
Upper middle: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso.
Upper right: Baratza Virtuoso.

Bottom Left: Bodum Bistro inner and outer burrs.
Bottom middle: Cuisinart CBM-18 inner and outer burrs.
Bottom right: Capresso Infinity inner and outer burrs.

EricBNC: 6 pic2.JPG
(Click for larger image)

SophieTheo

Posted Tue Feb 15, 2011, 6:16am

Hi all!

I am new to the forum, and am looking to upgrade to a burr grinder.  I cannot believe I have been buying organic coffee for years and have been using a blade grinder.  Time to get educated!

I usually make 8 cups of drip/percolated coffee in the am.  How do I know how much coffee to grind with these burr grinders?  Is there a setting for drip and percolators?

The Burr grinder I need does not have to be sub $100, and I do not need the ability to do expresso.

Thanks for your help!
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Feb 15, 2011, 2:57pm

SophieTheo Said:

Hi all!

I am new to the forum, and am looking to upgrade to a burr grinder.  I cannot believe I have been buying organic coffee for years and have been using a blade grinder.  Time to get educated!

I usually make 8 cups of drip/percolated coffee in the am.  How do I know how much coffee to grind with these burr grinders?  Is there a setting for drip and percolators?

The Burr grinder I need does not have to be sub $100, and I do not need the ability to do expresso.

Thanks for your help!

Posted February 15, 2011 link

Any of the grinders mentioned in this thread will do. I personally have a Infinity and am quite happy with it. However, if I was going to buy in this range again I would go to Baratza website and pick up a refurb Virturouso.

As far as how do you know how much to grind, basically what you did with your blade grinder; measure the beans out then grind. Or if you want load up the hopper and then just shut off the grinder when you roughly get to your target.

Less water, more grounds.
Friendly
Friendly

Posted Tue Feb 15, 2011, 3:18pm

when it comes to simplified coffee making (ie. pourover or immersion) the lower lines from Baratza are often recommended or mentioned (my perception from being on this site for about a month now). While the Maestro alone is a bit more then $115, a refurbished unit costs is only $70.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Tue Feb 15, 2011, 5:45pm

I heard the Maestro is gone and the Maestro Plus is being redesigned - both are currently out of stock as new or refurbished units - the Starbucks Barista (this one is available) for $80 is a hybrid between the two - the on/off dial is like the Maestro (no timer) while the weight is like the Maestro Plus and Virtuoso models - it looks like a nice grinder for the price..

Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Wed Feb 16, 2011, 3:45am

EricBNC Said:

This Programmable model is not mentioned much if hardly at all on this forum. for $80 on Amazon, it ranks as a decent value - and grinds well enough for Aeropress and drip. For French press the $100 (discontinued?) Maestro is superior but not worlds of difference better.  The competition for this grinder is the new Bodum conical burr and the Black Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder. I have not used those two so I cannot comment.  After using this grinder for the past month,  I would not hesitate recommending this unit to someone looking for a conical burr grinder priced in the under one hundred dollar category.

Posted January 19, 2011 link

It's not clear to me from this post exactly what $80 model you're writing about.

Based on other posts, I, too, have the Infinity, but mine is the stainless steel model, not the plastic. I use it only to grind for drip or French press coffee and couldn't be happier.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Sub-$100 Conical...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334755182266)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+