Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Baratza for Medium Drip
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mpiccolo

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Feb 11, 2011, 9:35pm
Subject: Baratza for Medium Drip

There's an old post on H-B that I don't believe has been mentioned here...it's a particle distribution analysis for the Baratza line. See: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Assuming that a narrow distribution with minimal fines is ideal for drip, it seems that the Virtuoso does the best with a medium-drip grind. The Maestro's a very close second. The Preciso, while apparently great for French Press, doesn't look quite so good as either when it comes to medium-drip. The Vario looks like the worst.

Again, I'm just interested in medium-drip grinding. Like a standard Chemex/vac pot/woodneck grind. 18-20 on most standard Virtuosos (they're all slightly different...but not *that* diff.)

I've also looked at Mark Prince's Baratza review, in which he does a more casual analysis of the four grinders and contradicts the H-B-posted analysis. Not sure what to say there.

Anyway, I'm posting because I suspect a few of y'all might have direct experience with more than one of the Baratza grinders. Particle analysis is great but I'm more interested in practice (how does it taste!?) than theory (of course they intersect). Does anybody feel like their drip is tastier when the beans are ground with one of the Baratza grinders as opposed to another? I'd be curious to hear.
 View Profile Link to this post
ChemistryNerd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doser
Drip: Aeropress and French Press
Roaster: My Local Roaster(s), and...
Posted Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:21pm
Subject: Re: Baratza for Medium Drip

Im also interested in this. I have recently started making about 10 cups of coffee per day and my Hario Skerton isn't cutting it (still use it for personal coffee and cupping though).

I have a Bunn VPX and am looking for a grinder to do a consistent grind and be durable.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:28pm
Subject: Re: Baratza for Medium Drip

I have direct experience with the Preciso and the Vario, and can tell you that without question both have nearly identical grind capabilities in the medium range, which I feel is excellent. I do a lot of vac pot, and both grinders do that grind with no dust. I have a Bunn STX and the coffee is always sweet when ground with the Preciso. The newest iteration has bigger conical burrs than the original and is now the norm, as far as I know.
I have also produced espresso nearly as good as that with my Vario, though it's a little trickier to get the exact grind.
Just my 2 cents.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203225135803)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+