Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 26 of 43 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
wkearney99

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011, 6:32am
Subject: Re: Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer

zmeister Said:

You may give Bunn a call and see if they will send you a replacement filter basket.  

Posted January 21, 2011 link

I'm thinking that constricting the hole at the bottom of the basket might help a bit too.  Not by a lot, just a little smaller.  Too small and there'd be a risk of the water overflowing the filter and basket.  It might be practical to test it a bit with a stainless steel washer.  Just rest it over the existing drain hole.  Maybe make up a few of them with different sized holes through them.  I suppose the real trick would be finding a food grade washer.  Or cutting one myself from a small sheet of stainless.  Though I don't really have enough of a problem with the brew to do it right now.  

If I really wanted to over-engineer it I might consider a flange of some sort on the bottom of the basket.  One like how the basket itself is held in the machine.  That way I could slot-in a different constrictor plate.  But, again, the current brew doesn't bug me 'enough' to spend the time on it... yet.
 View Profile Link to this post
mario57

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011, 8:06am

Maybe using 2  paper filters instead of 1 might work,  if that doesn't cause the flavor to be even weaker or the basket to overflow.
wkearney99

Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011, 8:28am

mario57 Said:

Maybe using 2  paper filters instead of 1 might work,  if that doesn't cause the flavor to be even weaker or the basket to overflow.

Posted January 21, 2011 link

I'm guessing that would end up absorbing more of the oils, perhaps too much.  I don't want to lose the flavor.  Just slow it down and let the beans get brewed a bit longer.
lotek

Grinder: De Longhi Burr
Drip: Bodum FP, Hamilton Beach,
Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011, 8:54am

This has been a timely thread for me as my previous Hamilton Beach machine up and died.
I've been using a French Press in the interim.
I ordered an HT from Amazon, was told it would be 2 - 3 weeks before it shipped, it arrived in
6 days.
Yesterday I ran 2 full pots of water only, temp at the outlet of the basket varied from 199 to 203 degrees,
using a thermapen.  Also noted that I had 5 nice distinct streams off the shower head.
My first pot was with Yirgacheffe ground the same as we used in the previous pot, coffee was good
but a little thin tasting. On a lark I measured the temp of the last cup an hour after brewing and it
was down to 167 degrees.
This morning's pot used a much finer grind, probably 1/2 way between my old drip setting and the
setting I use for espresso. Much better, the coffee was stronger, had more visible oil and a very
smooth flavor.
Yes the pot is noisy, yes it steams quite a bit and watching the sliding cover over the water reservoir
deform up was a bit disconcerting, but a folded bar towel remedied that.
Overall after now making 3 pots with it I'm pretty satisfied, it makes a nice alternative to the Technivorm
for half the price.
That said, I'm impressed with Bunn for their commitment to the product, and for their participation
here.

Marty
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:48am

Had mine two months now. My first carafe dripped and Bunn sent me a replacement which is fine (though I don't like the narrow neck design).

Two days ago it stopped working. The gurgly noises are still there, but the water doesn't get very hot and never runs into the filter basket.

I like the design very much but am disappointed in the quality control (at least with mine).

I'm sure customer service will make good.

PS: I also have found myself moving toward a very fine grind. I usually brew 4-6 cups so I think that will help slow things down and increase extraction.
RLembke

Espresso: Briel Lido
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Bodum I and II
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Posted Mon Jan 31, 2011, 8:21am

Ordered and received an HG from Amazon this past week.  I've spent about 5 days with the machine now.  Overall I love the idea of the machine but I hope some fixes can be made to make it the machine it should have been out of the box.  

- Leaky Carafe - you've heard this story.  Same deal here.  The plastic spout has a great pour to it but the handle feels flimsy when you fill the carafe half way and give it a swirl when rinsing out.  There's a small adhesive dot between the glass and the tail of the handle that has already come free.  

- Shower head Issue - I get two big drippy streams.  Maybe three at the beginning of the brew but for the most part the shower head only splits the stream in half.  Grounds after brewing have two distinct craters.  No sign of unsaturated grounds but I don't see how there can be any "mixing action" as is so prominently advertised.  I don't know how big of a concern this really is but if something isn't as advertised, I think it needs addressed.  

- Lid/Top of Machine @ End of Heating Cycle - this is the most disturbing of the issues with my machine that gives me pause on holding on to it.  Towards the end of the heating cycle, the lid of the water tank lifts open ~1/4" and the rest of the top surface of the machine lifts up from the mating surface.  I didn't see this at first but when I was looking to see where all of the errant steam was coming from, I realized it.  I can see a clear gasket between the top piece and the adjacent surface.  If it was important enough to have a gasket here, I'm guessing I shouldn't be able to see a gap here.  This machine is in no way acceptable for use under kitchen cabinets; the amount of steam is unreal!

I've got an email in to Lisa...I have confidence that things will be made right (that's the only reason I took the risk of buying this machine in the first place) although I'm not sure in the end this will be the machine staying on my counter.  

Rob
DaveKl

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011, 7:15am

Hi all,

I've been following this thread closely as I'm pretty interested in the HT model.  The reports of the lid on top bulging while the water heats up concerns me and it sounds like a lot of people are having the problem.  So, I kind of wonder, does everyone have this issue?  To me, this would have been a red flag at the testing stage.  Those of you who have not commented on it, do you experience it too and just not worry about it, or are there some out there that don't experience this problem?
wkearney99

Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011, 10:47am

DaveKl Said:

Those of you who have not commented on it, do you experience it too and just not worry about it, or are there some out there that don't experience this problem?

Posted February 2, 2011 link

We've not had any of the problems cited here.  The top lid swivels around just fine, and stays closed during the heating cycle.  Nor is there any excessive steam or anything leaking from around the top.  It showers the grounds with multiple streams.   We've used it every morning for a month and it's still working great.
DaveKl

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011, 8:45pm

wkearney99 Said:

We've not had any of the problems cited here.  The top lid swivels around just fine, and stays closed during the heating cycle.  Nor is there any excessive steam or anything leaking from around the top.  It showers the grounds with multiple streams.   We've used it every morning for a month and it's still working great.

Posted February 2, 2011 link

Good news!  Thanks for confirming that it isn't a problem with all units.
darkman
darkman

Espresso: cuisinart em-200
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: bodum french press
Drip: bunn ht
Roaster: freshroast sr500
Posted Thu Feb 3, 2011, 12:00am

I've got the same "problem" with my ht, however it really doesn't affect anything, and as soon as the unit cools down it goes back to normal. It's just a case of temp getting too hot for how thin the plastic swivel lid is. Really you don't even need the lid except to keep dust out when not in use.
showing page 26 of 43 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316241979599)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+