Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 25 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
wkearney99

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 16, 2011, 2:42pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer

ryguy Said:

This unit will really steam up the walls and underside and front of cabinets.

I pull it out to fill it up with water

I took off the spray head and found a little flake of something directly blocking the hole.

Posted January 15, 2011 link

You may want to consider putting a sheet of plastic or something on the underside of the cabinet.  I did that for a setup some years ago.  Just a sheet of acrylic or thin plexiglas type of material.  That kept steam from ruining the cabinet above it.  One tip, pre-drill any holes you need for mounting it.  Hard plastics like this don't expand and will crack if you just try to screw straight through them.  I also put a bead of caulk between it and the cabinet.  This largely eliminated the problems steam was causing.

I don't have to move ours to fill it.  I got a sink faucet that has a hose built into it.  I just pull out the spout and snake it over to the coffee machine.  MUCH easier than dealing with filling the carafe.

For when I do have to move it (for cleaning and the like) I put the machine on a single piece of floor tile, which has some teflon furniture slider feet on the bottom of it.  This way the tile just slides right out, machine and all.  I used a piece of nice black marble.  I find a black tile hides the inevitable crud a little longer...

Most tile places have single tiles as samples you can purchase, so pick something that works for your decor.  I have to buy a slightly larger piece for the HT.  With my previous machine I had it and the grinder on the same 12"x12" piece of tile.  The HT is about an inch wider and now the grinder doesn't fit.  I plan on picking up a longer piece and cutting it to size.  I have a wet saw left over from remodeling the whole bathroom ($70 cheapie from Harbor Fright).  But I'd imagine a tile shop could trim one down for you for a few bucks.
 View Profile Link to this post
purpledew88

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011, 11:33am

I rec'd mine HG on Dec 1st. and it's  stop working already.  It read "Heating Water" and a moving "racetrack" graphic displayed but nothing happend. Rec'd the replacement unit yesterday and run a batch with water only to check out the spray heat.  I see only 2 steady streams of water and the third one is dripping pattern. What's the deal with these new Bunn machine ?
mario57

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011, 5:45pm

Many others, myself included,  have had the same things you described. Quality control issues.
purpledew88

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 2:37pm

update, I called Bunn customerservice  today speak with Joyce about the spray head that mine only has 2 steady stream of water, she said that it's normal on this new Bunn Phase machine.
mario57

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 5:24pm

LOL. Watch the video posted with the Dec. 9 post from lmcloud.
RickL

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 5:41pm

I still don't understand why there is so much concern over the spray head pattern.
Are your grounds evenly saturated or not?

I'm only getting the two drips but the basket fills up so quickly that all the
grounds are submersed in water.

I still see this as an non issue.
jd2020
jd2020
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3, Moka Pot
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso MT500, Melita cone
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 7:07pm

mario57,
I've been holding off on posting as I test my replacement HT, but...

I tend to agree with you, but (1) Bunn makes a point that you should get this "spray pattern" and (2) twice I've found patches of dry ground coffee in the filter after brewing a 30oz pot.  If there is *dry* coffee in the basket, then there can't possibly be good extraction throughout, no?  The basket only seems to fill with water when brewing a full 40oz pot.  Perhaps I need to grind *really* fine?

I also get better "spray" results with a 40oz pot.  I've never seen anything more than two streams and a drip with 30oz (for what that's worth).  I can't imagine what a 20oz pot does in there.  Perhaps I'll have to check.

Cheers!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wkearney99

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 7:41pm

I switched to a very fine grind.  I always brew a full pot.  I've had fully saturated grounds each time.  I still get the feeling it's not getting quite as strong a brew as I'd like.  I'm wondering if it's letting the water out of the basket too quickly.  I hesitate to start making modifications but would a gold filter slow the process more than paper?  Or just the opposite?
jd2020
jd2020
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3, Moka Pot
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso MT500, Melita cone
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 8:38pm

Do you mean a gold filter for Bunn basket or the zmeister mod (see above). I"m not sure it would be any slower. I was wondering about making the hole smaller too, but that might make 40oz overflow the basket! Not much room for error in full pot.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
zmeister
zmeister

Espresso: Moka Pot
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Zojirushi, Bunn HT???
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR300
Posted Fri Jan 21, 2011, 6:41am

wkearney99,
You may give Bunn a call and see if they will send you a replacement filter basket.  If they are willing to send you one for for free, then you're really not out anything if you do the cone filter mod.  The only reason I went ahead and did it is because I was grinding quite a bit finer than with a cone filter, and was still getting a weak flavored cup.  I do think that you will get better results with a gold-type filter.  It won't slow the process, but should let more oils and fines through.  Of course, the cost is you get a little bit of sludge at the bottom of the cup.  Has anyone out there tried any other type of basket style paper filters besides Bunn brand?
showing page 25 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26300406456)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+