Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Sub-$100 Conical Burr Grinders
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Sub-$100 Conical...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Feb 16, 2011, 7:54am
Subject: Re: Sub-$100 Conical Burr Grinders

Java_Jiver Said:

It's not clear to me from this post exactly what $80 model you're writing about.

Based on other posts, I, too, have the Infinity, but mine is the stainless steel model, not the plastic. I use it only to grind for drip or French press coffee and couldn't be happier.

Posted February 16, 2011 link

The post does not make it very clear (now edited for clarity) but the Cuisinart CBM-18 conical burr grinder is what I intended to discuss.  I recall cutting and pasting from a post specific to that grinder when compiling content for this thread but did not edit well enough for clarity.  It's price is now $81.53.  I saw a post showing the burr set on new $200 Breville BCG800XL Smart Grinder - it looks very similar to the Cuisinart set (and several others) in design.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
ve3tiz
ve3tiz
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012, 1:05pm

I hope bumping old threads is not a faux pas here.

Just read this topic with interest.

I am a newcomer from the dark side (blade grinder a la Walmart) and recently purchased a Bodum Bistro burr grinder from Amazon.ca for $90 CDN to use with my new french press.   The quirky Danish styling looks a bit unusual among my other kitchen appliances but for the price I'm quite happy with the grind it produces with a minimum of noise.    The glass jar just needs a light tap to release any grind stuck by static.
kayes
kayes
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Feb 15, 2012, 6:27am

Hello, I'm new to the board and I'm obsessed with coffee and coffee culture.

I have the Cuisinart grinder in question. I bought it before becoming educated. My sister in-law had an older model and said she liked it and amazon reviews said it was good. It grinds pretty good for press and pour-over but is completely useless for espresso. I regret my purchase since it was quite expensive at the time ($120). It was a relatively new product when I bought it.

My name is Kayes, and I'm obsessed with coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2012, 6:58am

kayes Said:

Hello, I'm new to the board and I'm obsessed with coffee and coffee culture.

I have the Cuisinart grinder in question. I bought it before becoming educated. My sister in-law had an older model and said she liked it and amazon reviews said it was good. It grinds pretty good for press and pour-over but is completely useless for espresso. I regret my purchase since it was quite expensive at the time ($120). It was a relatively new product when I bought it.

Posted February 15, 2012 link

Welcome to Coffeegeek.

I agree the Cuisinart conical burr grinder is decent for press and pour over.  I would not hold it's inability to grind for espresso against it - most in this price range will not accomplish this and the ones that can usually require some modification first.  $120 in Canada (From what I read product pricing is not always the same north and south of our border) is close to the $99 they sell for in the US. Mine is second hand but still works like new.

A new addition to the list since this thread was created is the Krups Conical Burr grinder.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012, 1:57pm

I would recommend purchasing a hand grinder if your budget is sub-$100. I own a modified Hario Skerton (OE-PFP) and it is a fantastic hand grinder. The modification is an added bearing that gives another contact point on the shaft, so there is no slow back and forth in the burr. It is under the $100 price tag, features ceramic burrs, and does a great job throughout the range.

Sam
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012, 3:11pm

Sam21 Said:

I would recommend purchasing a hand grinder if your budget is sub-$100. I own a modified Hario Skerton (OE-PFP) and it is a fantastic hand grinder. The modification is an added bearing that gives another contact point on the shaft, so there is no slow back and forth in the burr. It is under the $100 price tag, features ceramic burrs, and does a great job throughout the range.

Sam

Posted February 16, 2012 link

Sounds like a great solution on paper - I went so far as modding my own solution similar to the lower bearing found on the OE-PFP on my Hario Skerton.  If I have a budget of $100 or less this would warrant some consideration if the manual route is one a prospective purchaser wants to take - long term durability is the primary issue I have with my Hario.

iHaveFeet

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Chemex/Coava...
Posted Thu Feb 16, 2012, 3:35pm

EricBNC Said:

$120 in Canada (From what I read product pricing is not always the same north and south of our border) is close to the $99 they sell for in the US. Mine is second hand but still works like new.

Posted February 15, 2012 link

Eric, I realize that you Folks down south likely don't pay much attention to where the Canadian dollar is at, but we've been on par with the USD for some time now. Often, our dollar is worth several cents more. (if you listen closely you can actually hear the empire crumbling... ;) ) The lingering price differences have been causing much frustration up here.

Brendan
camilleG
camilleG
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012, 1:47am

Very nice conical burr grinder.:D Anyway, since most of us here really loves coffee, let me share a new apps designed by Frank Ritter known as Caffeine Zone. The said apps is available for iPhones. It works by calculating when a person should take the next drink of caffeinated beverage to stay within the “caffeine sweet spot,” which, according to the Huffington Post, is between 200 and 400 milligrams, the amount of caffeine that gets most people into the desired state of mental awareness. To know more, try to read here:  Stay perky with Caffeine Zone app.
TamiP
TamiP

Espresso: Reneka Viva1
Grinder: Fiorenzato T80 and Macap M6
Drip: Bunn NHBB Velocity Brew
Roaster: Whirley Pop/BBQ Drum
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2012, 4:28am

Thanks for the side by side Eric, very nice. I have a Preciso and a very old Starbucks burr grinder. I would like to know where and which Starbucks Barista you found for $80? We are in the process of setting up 2 coffee stations in our home and I may buy one of those for the Aeropress counter and leave the Preciso on the espresso counter.
Thanks in advance.
Tami

Tami
DWard

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2012, 11:24am

I own the Cuisinart CBM-18c.   Bought it before I was educated - I remember standing in the supermarket weighing out the Breville Conical Burr vs the Cuisinart Conical Burr.  I ended up getting it just because it looked nicer and was the same brand of my espresso machine.

Well now I'm educated.   Both grinders, although Conical Burr, have the burrs moving around too much during the grind - which results in coarser uneven espresso grinds.

I have tried many times with my MyPressi (naked portafilter) to get a proper shot (striped shot, converging in the center on a single stream of coffee) - I have not even come close.  I've tried tamping as hard as I can - makes no difference.  My solution was to order an OE Pharos.  Its more money - but from everything I've read about the Pharos - its one of the best investments I can make.   Even my wife, who is thoroughly exhausted (read: fed up) with the amount of money I've spent, said I made a good purchase when she saw the videos online.

I'd be VERY curious what modifications or changes one could make with the Cuisinart in order to get a better espresso .. if there is any.  

Dan
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Sub-$100 Conical...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.611627101898)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+