Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bodum Bistro burr grinder
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Bistro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
rwgamer

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Bodum Bistro Burr
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Toastmaster 6203 (popper)
Posted Sun Jan 16, 2011, 10:48am
Subject: Bodum Bistro burr grinder

It doesn't look like anybody has posted a review for this new grinder, so I thought I'd post a quick review.  I've only had the grinder for about a week.  I could have bought the tried and true Baratza Maestro but I'm too much of a rebel.  I'm very pleased with the quality and consistency of the grind so far.  The biggest issue I have is the spiraling chute leading from the burrs to the glass grinds chamber.  After every grind, some coffee remains in the chute.  I'm guessing this is a problem with all consumer grinders (except maybe the KitchenAid Proline).  A couple firm taps at the back of the grinder unlodges the grinds, so it's just a minor annoyance.  I haven't tried a french press grind yet.  I don't think it will grind very coarse.

Pros:
Looks nice on counter
Quality grind
Glass chamber to reduce static cling
Can grind directly into filter

Cons:
Chute clogs with coffee grounds
Unproven product (questionable reliability)
Manual says to only grind for 20 seconds every 5 minutes (heat issues?)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ilcaffedio

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 16, 2011, 10:49am
Subject: Re: Bodum Bistro burr grinder

Just a heads up, this should be in the consumer reviews section of the site.
 View Profile Link to this post
blocky

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 17, 2011, 1:23pm

Thanks for the info. I am currently looking at either this one or the Maestro. A friend of mine has told me that he had a tough time getting the knob on his Maestro repaired, and he believes the burrs in the bistro are of a higher quality. Can you comment on any comparisons you made between the two?

Also, we should see about getting this into the reviews section of the site, because as far as I can tell the only Bodum grinder category which exists is for the Antigua.
rwgamer

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011, 9:54am

I've never posted to the consumer review section so I'll have to figure that out.  I've never worked with a Maestro so I can't do a direct comparison.  I did take some macro pictures of the burrs though, so hopefully that will help.  I'm going to take some pictures of the grind also.

rwgamer: burr2-sm.JPG
(Click for larger image)
rwgamer

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011, 9:55am

pic

rwgamer: burr1-sm.JPG
(Click for larger image)
rwgamer

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011, 9:57am

another pic

rwgamer: burr3-sm.JPG
(Click for larger image)
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Jan 18, 2011, 7:55pm

blocky Said:

Thanks for the info. I am currently looking at either this one or the Maestro. A friend of mine has told me that he had a tough time getting the knob on his Maestro repaired, and he believes the burrs in the bistro are of a higher quality. Can you comment on any comparisons you made between the two?

Also, we should see about getting this into the reviews section of the site, because as far as I can tell the only Bodum grinder category which exists is for the Antigua.

Posted January 17, 2011 link

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
nikil511

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 5:11am

Hello to everyone ! and great site by the way! (this is my first post)

rwgamer thank you for the review on Bodum Bristo grinder.

I'm trying to decide on a grinder, and find it very difficult!!

I am considering purchasing this grinder (Bodum Bistro), which seems excellent in all other aspects except grinding for espresso! However, I want an espresso-grinder! :-(

I have not found any detailed review on the internet, referring to espresso capability of this grinder. Just some "comments" that this grinder is no good for espresso but also some others that say it is good for espresso!

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

It is my understanding that all sub-100$ grinders suck for espresso, including previous Bodum model Antigua. However many cheap-burr grinders can be modified to produce finer grains. That is the case with Antigua hence I assume that the same principle applies on Bristo ?
(can you please confirm, instructions are here, but I'm sure more details can be found in other places as well)
http://www.kwilson.fsnet.co.uk/grinder_tweaks.htm

So I assume that once modifying this grinder, it will produce decent ground for espresso, even though people complain for its espresso capability.
Any Bodum Antigua/Bistro owners  experimenting with espresso ?
What do you think ??

I understand that "particle consistency" and "too much fine/dust" will not be improved by this mod, but isn't this a problem with most cheap-grinders ??

For the time, I am using a cheap hand grinder with ceramic burr, which I have improved the "stability" of inner burr, and I get "ok" espresso shots with it. (using a cheap espresso home machine with pressurized pf)

I am hoping to improve my espresso with a sub-100$ electric grinder. Do I have any changes ? :-)

Regards,
Manolis
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 5:46am

Some claim good results grinding for espresso with the Capresso Infinity (available in the USA for less than $100). I posted some burr comparison pictures in this thread: "Sub-$100 Conical Burr Grinders" - they might help you see what these sub $100 machines offer where the metal meets the bean. Good luck!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
nikil511

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 6:11am

Unfortunately I live in Greece, Europe, so most of the US brands do not exist here, and  shipping-from-US cost it about half the price of the product, hence not worth it.
Therefore my options are "international" brands  only, that I can find in Greece, or Europe where shipping cost is reasonable.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Bistro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319962978363)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+