Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 24 of 43 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
zmeister
zmeister
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Moka Pot
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Zojirushi, Bunn HT???
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR300
Posted Fri Jan 14, 2011, 10:10am
Subject: Re: Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer

I've (so far) gotten a working unit.  My replacement HT came yesterday afternoon.  Thank you to Eric @ Bunn customer service for sending my correct replacement overnight.  I ran a cycle of just water through it and it did fine.  We had to go out last night, so I didn't have time to run another cycle until this morning.  I've made 2 pots (6 cup size) today, and everything is working fine.  The coffee temp in the pot right after the cycle is complete is around 180-185.  The hot plate temp right after the cycle is complete is 310-315 and the bottom of the carafe is around 220.  These do cool off pretty quickly, but I didn't put the carafe back until after I was done with the whole pot of coffee.  The coffee is good; different from my Zojirushi using same amount of coffee and mellita filters.  I wouldn't say weaker, but not as rich.  I'm going to experiment with grind and quantities.  Overall, I'm satisfied with the unit.  As I said before, I like the sturdiness and look of it.  Just need to take some time and find the "sweet spot" with the grind.  
    My thinking is, with the flat bottom filter style, you would want a finer grind to slow down the drip.  With the cone style, the coffee towards the bottom of the filter is exposed to water a bit longer and extracts more?  Does this seem correct?
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Jan 14, 2011, 2:31pm

zmeister Said:

My thinking is, with the flat bottom filter style, you would want a finer grind to slow down the drip.  With the cone style, the coffee towards the bottom of the filter is exposed to water a bit longer and extracts more?  Does this seem correct?

Posted January 14, 2011 link

I grind finer with the flat bottom filters too.  That said, I like the cone style better.  I tried an experiment with a decent flat bottom drip brewer.  I found a cone style insert that fit and brewed a pot.  I preferred the cone filter pot without any real tweaking over the results of a dialed in flat bottom filter pot.  This set up is nothing like your BUNN so the results might not be applicable - just my two cents.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
zmeister
zmeister

Posted Fri Jan 14, 2011, 5:17pm

I'm wondering how long it will be before someone (cough, cough) modifies a cone filter basket to fit his phase brew HT....
ryguy

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: Pharos, B. Vario
Posted Sat Jan 15, 2011, 7:18am

I got my HT at Christmas. I've been pretty pleased with it so far:

The carafe does not leak.

The coffee stays hot.

Brewing 40 oz, it closely follows the 6 minute heat/4 minute brew cycle. The heating cycle can be shortened by using hot water.

It's noisy!

This unit will really steam up the walls and underside and front of cabinets. I pull it out to fill it up with water, so I suppose I'll just be leaving it there until it's done brewing.

It just threw a "CLE" message this morning. I took off the spray head and found a little flake of something directly blocking the hole. I ran a pot of water through it to watch the spray head, and it sprayed out pretty well at first. After about 45 seconds it started to favor the back-right side a little (as you're looking at the machine). After 2 minutes, it was mostly draining directly down in one or two streams, and it finished at 3 minutes. I imagine that by 2 minutes the grounds are relatively saturated so even wetting is not as crucial. And the resistance from your grounds ought to be able to adjust to the 4 minute brew time as well, so those last 2 things don't concern me too much at this point.

Ryan D
zmeister
zmeister

Posted Sat Jan 15, 2011, 10:02am

Well...that didn't take long.  I modified the HT basket by cutting the bottom out of it just inside of the small rolled down lip.  Now the cone basket out of my Zojirushi will fit perfectly.  I brewed a 7 cup pot using a Melitta #4 filter and the same amount of coffee and grind as I would for the Zoj.  Great coffee!  I'm really surprised at the difference.  I just never thought that the filter shape would make that much of a difference.  Now I have the option of using my swissgold as well.  Sorry, a couple of the images are a little out of focus.  Used my phone.

Click Here (i418.photobucket.com)
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Jan 15, 2011, 10:38am

Nice mod there!  How does the BUNN brewed coffee taste compared to the results from the  Zojirushi?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat Jan 15, 2011, 10:43am

Excellent Zachary!, & Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {;-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
zmeister
zmeister

Posted Sat Jan 15, 2011, 11:07am

Thanks guys!  The coffee is very close to the Zoj.  I would say the Zoj has maybe a little bit of bitterness.  I don't remember what the brew temps were with the Zojirushi, but the HT is WAY hotter when you go to take a sip.  The main thing for me is that now the HT has the richer, more-bodied flavor that I was used to.  I know the swissgold will make it over the top so to speak as far as that goes, but I stopped using it a while back because I got tired of the sludge at the bottom of the cup.  One thing I always did with the Zoj. is let the filter basket fill pretty good with water and then stir the grounds with a chopstick before placing the carafe under it.  That's not really an option here, although I have thought of cutting a couple of small slots in the plastic hood that would allow one to poke a chopstick through and aggitate the grounds during the brew.  It's really not a big deal at this point, because the coffee is really good and all I've done is modify an easily replaceable filter basket.  On a side note, one thing I haven't done yet is look at the water pattern from the spray head.  The grounds look like they are getting soaked pretty good, so I haven't really been in a big hurry to check it out.
-Z

BTW-Eric, I love your signature line! :)
wingnutsglory
wingnutsglory
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Bunn HT
Roaster: Popper
Posted Sat Jan 15, 2011, 8:24pm

I just received mine yesterday from Amazon (the HT model) and am loving it so far.  Seems well made and I've had no problems.  I haven't taken a close look at the spray pattern, but I've made several pots now with good results.  I've been away from drip for a while, and the only green beans that I could find in the house were five years old.  It'll be good to try some fresh beans.
Sarah_S
Sarah_S

Posted Sun Jan 16, 2011, 12:14pm

zmeister Said:

Well...that didn't take long.  I modified the HT basket by cutting the bottom out of it just inside of the small rolled down lip.  Now the cone basket out of my Zojirushi will fit perfectly.  I brewed a 7 cup pot using a Melitta #4 filter and the same amount of coffee and grind as I would for the Zoj.  Great coffee!  I'm really surprised at the difference.  I just never thought that the filter shape would make that much of a difference.  Now I have the option of using my swissgold as well.  Sorry, a couple of the images are a little out of focus.  Used my phone.

Posted January 15, 2011 link

That. is. rad.
Way to go...
showing page 24 of 43 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.491405963898)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+