Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
I am giving up on Bunn...who makes a great coffee maker?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I am giving up...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
miniSQ

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Nov 23, 2010, 8:01pm
Subject: I am giving up on Bunn...who makes a great coffee maker?

I have my Bunn Phase Brew for less than 2 weeks and it died on me. It also had a leaky carafe.

I sent back the first unit today and was supposed to receive a brand new Phase Brew today, but it got delayed by UPS....so i am taking that as a sign to step away from Bunn...or at least this Unit.

I am looking for a solid and reliable coffee maker that makes excellent coffee....and to be honest the Phase Brew was not really any better than the Capresso or the Zoljrushi that it replaced...they kind of all taste the same to me...I am looking for the next level....and maybe that is an espresso machine??
 View Profile Link to this post
JPF

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Wed Nov 24, 2010, 5:12am
Subject: Re: I am giving up on Bunn...who makes a great coffee maker?

Well, you can't go wrong with a Technivorm if you're willing to spend $299.  Hand built, high power copper heating element.  You'll find plenty of discussion right in this forum.  Some don't think it's worth the price, but I don't think anyone maintains that it doesn't make great coffee.  Plus you can control the speed of the drip manually.

Living the caffeinated life.
n8opot8o

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Nov 24, 2010, 7:45am

I am a little biased as I am an espresso convert. I have tried every possible method for brewing coffee (that I am aware of) and a proper espresso is far and beyond the most agreeable experience for me (but not for everyone). basically, if you are running coffee through a paper filter you are ruining it. If you let your coffee stagnate in the grinds (as in french press) you are inviting all kinds of unpleasant flavors. If you are willing to spend a little extra money and a little bit more time, you may find that making espressos at home will vastly improve your coffee drinking experience. If you are satisfied with conventional brewing however, I recommend a simple bodum french press. Its the best way to get a basic cup of coffee at home and costs a lot less than all these fancy gadgets that essentially do the same thing: infuse coffee grounds with hot water. The bottom line is, what do you really want to drink? a rich, smooth, creamy espresso, or a cup of nervous-making tweaky rot gut coffee?
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Wed Nov 24, 2010, 8:51am

n8opot8o Said:

I am a little biased as I am an espresso convert. I have tried every possible method for brewing coffee (that I am aware of) ... The bottom line is, what do you really want to drink? a rich, smooth, creamy espresso, or a cup of nervous-making tweaky rot gut coffee?

Posted November 24, 2010 link

Awww, c'mon now.... maybe you're not making it right? :-P

Seriously though, espresso may be "the next level" that miniSQ is looking for.

I enjoy my espressos & breves, I enjoy my TechniVorm drip, & I enjoy my French Press. (Since I can now make cafe creme on my espresso machine, I've retired my moka pot, & I've never really used my briki.) They're each a different experience for different occassions.

I say, get a TechniVorm KBTS for your drip setup & order a moka pot at the same time. Then start saving & researching for the plunge into the black pool of espresso.

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
iowaboy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby; Vev & GB...
Grinder: Preciso, Solis Maestro+
Drip: Melitta Pourover, Krups,...
Roaster: Behmor, FR8+
Posted Wed Nov 24, 2010, 3:57pm

A simple pourover setup could be your best solution, if you don't mind the "manual" aspect. A Melitta plastic filter holder and some #2 filters, a $3 or $4 investment, just might surprise you. I don't find the paper filters a detriment to my coffee's flavor in any way.
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Thu Nov 25, 2010, 3:57am

miniSQ Said:

..they kind of all taste the same to me...I am looking for the next level....and maybe that is an espresso machine??

Posted November 23, 2010 link

Espresso as the next level? Your call. For me it seems a big step from an auto drip to a home espresso set up. Do you have a good source of fresh beans, a decent grinder suitable for espresso, the time, money and inclination to learn how to brew good espresso at home?

My suggestions would be a "Clever" dripper or a Hario or Yama syphon. Both of these will brew a great cup or mug of coffee.

n8opot8o Said:

basically, if you are running coffee through a paper filter you are ruining it. If you let your coffee stagnate in the grinds (as in french press) you are inviting all kinds of unpleasant flavors. ...The bottom line is, what do you really want to drink? a rich, smooth, creamy espresso, or a cup of nervous-making tweaky rot gut coffee?

Not all coffees work well as espresso. Espresso has it's merit's but it's not the only way to make coffee and not always the best way either. Personally I'm too much a fan of coffee to be limited to one specific way of making it.
jsaliga
jsaliga

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Compak K10...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Technivorm, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B
Posted Thu Nov 25, 2010, 6:40am

al_bongo Said:

Not all coffees work well as espresso. Espresso has it's merit's but it's not the only way to make coffee and not always the best way either. Personally I'm too much a fan of coffee to be limited to one specific way of making it.

Posted November 25, 2010 link

Exactly.  I love my espresso and Americanos, but I have a lot of great single origin coffees that aren't well suited for espresso.

I own and like the Technivorm, but I mostly use it when I really need multiple servings.  Most of the time I make one cup at a time, and for that I use the Clever Dripper or an Aeropress.

$15 for a Clever Coffee Dripper or $25 for the Aeropress is really hard to beat.  But a decent grinder and fresh roasted whole bean coffee is a big part of the equation.

--Jerome
roach56

Posted Fri Nov 26, 2010, 4:30am

I agree with most of the posters. I would buy the Technivorm if I needed to make multiple cups. I went from a Krups moka brew (which I loved ) to pour overs in a cheap plastic mellita cone because I normally only make one to two cups.  I'm now using a Saeco Aroma espresso and a Europiccola manual lever for espresso, mostly americanos. Like most others have said fresh coffee,either your own roast or a local roaster made the best upgrade for me. I will eventually toss the plastic cone for a better pour over cone.

Mike
Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Sat Nov 27, 2010, 1:15am

iowaboy Said:

A simple pourover setup could be your best solution, if you don't mind the "manual" aspect. A Melitta plastic filter holder and some #2 filters, a $3 or $4 investment, just might surprise you. I don't find the paper filters a detriment to my coffee's flavor in any way.

Nor do I. Could it be that we're just coffee gourmands?
1canuck2

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Clever Coffee Dripper,...
Drip: DeLonghi DCM900
Posted Sat Nov 27, 2010, 7:34am

Java_Jiver Said:

Nor do I. Could it be that we're just coffee gourmands?

Posted November 27, 2010 link

For a single cup of coffee I turn to my Clever Coffee Dripper every time and only use my Cuisinart electric drip for a crowd. I rinse my Melitta filter and don't get any papery taste. I prefer the extra control the CCD gives over a Melitta pour over and its not much more money for such a setup.

I am waiting for opinions on the Bunn Phase Brew HT and may go for that, so its a little disconcerting to hear your negative experiences with the Bunn... I really don't want to spring for a Technivorm but am starting to realize I might have to as no-one seems to be able to match the positivites of this model for less without affecting the quality, reliability or (most importantly) control over the brew.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I am giving up...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352848052979)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+