Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Large Bubbles in Syphon / Vac Pot
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Large Bubbles in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
santunoo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Anfim Milano and Hario Mini...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Nel-Drip
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 8:24pm
Subject: Large Bubbles in Syphon / Vac Pot

Does anyone have suggestions for preventing large bubbles / turbulence from appearing after the water rises into the upper chamber?
I get large bubbles forming about 50% of the time, and I notice that the brew tastes "ashy" if coffee is brewed when these large bubbles are present.

Suggestions on other websites say that if such bubbles appear, it is best to adjust the filter to keep the bubbles from forming. If that fails, then start all over and make sure there are no leaks in the seal. I've done this, but I still get large bubbles.
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Nov 23, 2010, 5:39am
Subject: Re: Large Bubbles in Syphon / Vac Pot

I'm actually having the exact same problem recently. What I've tried is keeping the heat as low as possible as the water goes north, but it hasn't seemed to change anything. I can't think of anything else to cause it really, as my seal is set just fine, filter centered, no apparent obstructions at the filter etc.
Tips, anyone?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
santunoo

Posted Wed Nov 24, 2010, 10:36pm

I've experimented with cloth and paper filters, and I noticed that stopping the bubbles from forming is easier when using a cloth filter. I just move the filter a little bit with the wooden spoon. If I try this with a paper filter, a new set of bubbles forms on the other end of the filter!
Like you, Steve, I've also tried keeping the water temp as low as possible as the water goes north, but it still does not help that much.
Sometimes if I just let it sit for a couple of minutes, the bubbles go away on their own. But then the water temp above drops to the low 80's.
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Thu Nov 25, 2010, 8:36am

I do most of my brewing with an NCA5 so my experience may difference from the 2 & 3C models other posters are using. I find if I reduce the flame on my butane heater to just above the flicking point when the water is half way up the large bubbles fade before I'm ready to add the coffee. I have noticed that the water is always hotter in my 5c when it reaches the top then my NCA3. If I reduce the heat in my 3C as I would my 5C the water temp is too low to brew. I don't use the 3C that often but the next time I do I'll watch for the large bubble issue although I don't recall having that problem in the past.

John
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 26, 2010, 12:01pm

santunoo Said:

Does anyone have suggestions for preventing large bubbles / turbulence from appearing after the water rises into the upper chamber?
I get large bubbles forming about 50% of the time, and I notice that the brew tastes "ashy" if coffee is brewed when these large bubbles are present.

Posted November 22, 2010 link

I have always had mixed feelings about my YAMA vac-pot.

When the water is at a mild boil when I assemble the upper chamber (with coffee in it) the brewing temperature is usually lower than the ideal range of 195-205F.  If it brews (with no turbulence) the temperature drops further.

So what to do?  Turn up the heat.  Allow the remaining water in the lower chamber to boil.  Then, the steam created will vent through the upper chamber causing bubbles and turbulence.  Well, that helps keep the brewing temperature up.

But what about the steam bubbles stripping out the coffee aroma?  It is a common practice in processing (say) edible oils to deoderize using what they call 'sparging' steam (meaning ...bubbling steam through the oil under high vacuum).  Do I have the bubbling and turbulence to keep the brewing temperature up ...only to lose the aroma?

Or, alternatatively, do I have just enough heat (and steam pressure) to keep the brew 'north' but without bubbling and turbulence, brew at a lower temperature with ...perhaps a finer grind?

There is good precedent for doing that.  The Aeropress uses double the coffee at a finer grind and brews for a short time at 175F.  Under-extraction.  Makes a great cup.

Jerry
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Fri Nov 26, 2010, 1:05pm

If the water in the upper chamber is too cool, putting a lid or cover on can make a degree or two of difference.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Fri Nov 26, 2010, 4:01pm

I figured out the problem, at least in my case. Now, normally, I will still see bubbles rising after sticking the top globe on. However, these are very small bubbles that are fairly well distributed by the cloth filter. Essentially, they don't cause any noticeable turbulence. My routine is to pre-boil the water, add it to the bottom globe, drop in the top loosely, and get some bubbles going again. Usually this is around 210-212F, and then I'll seal the globe and drop the heat really low (about as low as possible without snuffing the butane flame). Once all my water is in the top, it's usually around 190-200F, and I'll blow on it or cover the top to get it to brew temp, then drop in my grounds. Until recently, I've had no brewing problems with this method, and the coffee's been great.
After having endlessly played with the filter position, temperature, etc., I sortof gave up. Upon performing my weekly Oxiclean routine, I realized that I've never scrubbed this particular filter, and I thought that perhaps that could be the issue. So I grabbed a toothbrush and gave the filter a gentle scrub under running water. The result was what I expected: I've got my array of fine bubble back, and no more large ones at the perimeter of the filter.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Fri Nov 26, 2010, 5:11pm

Interesting conclusion.

I sat vexed with your question.  Now that you have old oils/proteins scrubbed out, I bet you have lost that ashy taste as well.  This thread has read like a Sir Arthur Conan novel mystery <smiles>.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Fri Nov 26, 2010, 5:52pm

BoldJava Said:

I sat vexed with your question.  
B|Java

Posted November 26, 2010 link

Me too.

Dan Brewer
santunoo

Posted Fri Nov 26, 2010, 7:40pm

I just posted a short video on youtube of what I'm experiencing with these bubbles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0afk1F_5RWw
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Large Bubbles in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287935972214)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+