Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French Press - simplified and revolutionized
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
frackas1975

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Mahlkonig EK43
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Chemex, CCD, V60, Aeropress
Posted Wed Nov 10, 2010, 11:29pm
Subject: French Press - simplified and revolutionized

Check out this amazing blog post from 2007 world  barista champion James Hoffman on re-thinking the french press:

http://www.jimseven.com/2010/11/04/cupping-vs-french-press/

He is intrigued by how incredible some coffees can taste during a cupping session, even though the grounds have been left in the water for
up to 30 minutes. Then he tries to translate the cupping experience to the French Press.
Also keep in mind that a standard "cupping grind" is a few notches finer than traditional french press grind.
Usually around 6.5 on a Ditting grinder.
After reading and trying this, I'm left with a feeling that maybe what we have learnt about french press brewing
is a result of old habit as opposed to research and trial/error.

For those of you not geeky enough to read through his whole post, I'm going to go straight to the method.
Using Hoffmans findings, this is how I made the most delicious French Press I have yet had in my 20 years of loving coffee:

- Grind coffee to a size right between traditional French Press and Drip on a high quality burr grinder, immediately before brewing.

- Pour 340 grams of 200ºF filtered water over 22 grams of coffee into a small French Press.

- Do not agitate at all during the course of the 4 minute steep time, and don't cover up the press with the plunger lid.

- After the 4 minutes are up, break through the crust that forms on top and let grounds sink to the bottom.
  Remove the foam layer on top with a spoon.

Here comes the fun part:

- Let sit for 10 minutes.

That's right; do not decant, plunge or put lid on. Just wait.

After this time is up, gently pour through the mesh of the plunger without plunging.

This method goes against a lot of rules seemingly written in stone.
"FP should have a course grind", "Temperature should not decline during brewing" and "quickly decant the FP after brewing, or it will overextract"
None of this seems to be right.

Infact, the cup I got was sweet, full and delicious and not at all overextracted (19.2% according to the MoJo),
at perfect drinking temperature, and way less sludge than normal.

I'll never go back.

Enjoy!
 View Profile Link to this post
tcc1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 12, 2010, 10:24pm
Subject: Re: French Press - simplified and revolutionized

crazyness. I've disliked every FP cup I've made so far, so I will give this a go and report back.  I'm surprised the coffee wasn't lukewarm after 10 minutes, to be honest
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 13, 2010, 5:36am

This is James' video on the subject : CLICK HERE
I didn't recall him advocating a long wait, but I haven't seen it in a while.  Looks like this is another experiment (waiting 10 minutes)

I use an insulated (double-wall) press and what works for me is to steep the standard 4 minutes, then break the crust and remove the grounds and foam with my spoons (just like cupping).  When that's done then I immediately plunge the press normally and decant the coffee to a thermos airpot for serving.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frackas1975

Grinder: Mahlkonig EK43
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Chemex, CCD, V60, Aeropress
Posted Sat Nov 13, 2010, 7:59am

The video posted is two years old, and discusses a just slightly tweaked version of an "old school" press.

The biggest difference from the new experiments is you now don't plunge in any step in the process.
And you don't decant, but wait 10 minutes after the "break and scoop" before serving.
In addition to this, you use a finer grind than before. Right in between drip and traditional press.

I have compared these two methods extensively over the last week, and the non plunging method wins hands down every time.
Feels like the whole plunging thing is pointless, and just stirs up the fines. This results in too much sludge and overall over agitation of the coffee.

Whatever it is, it works!
tcc1

Posted Sat Nov 13, 2010, 10:00am

Can someone describe the break and clean method, please?  I'm not familiar with cupping.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 13, 2010, 10:02am

tcc1 Said:

Can someone describe the break and clean method, please?  I'm not familiar with cupping.

Posted November 13, 2010 link

Click the video link I posted above, the method is shown.  

frackas1975 Said:

I have compared these two methods extensively over the last week, and the non plunging method wins hands down every time.

Posted November 13, 2010 link

Looks like I will have to give this a try sometime soon - thanks!

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
tcc1

Posted Sat Nov 13, 2010, 1:33pm

Wow.  Consider me a convert.  Used setting 27 on my virtuoso.. Between drip and press woulda been around 30 but I think I'm pretty close here
komarno_mark

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010, 10:33am

nice!!! im gonna try this out!
jclgan
jclgan

Espresso: Breville Infuser BES840XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 7:19pm

I've been meaning to try this out ever since I read Jesse Raub's similar article on French press brewing à la Café Solo, which also removes plunging from the equation.  Just got some fresh coffee today; will edit this post when I get a-brewing in a few hours!

Update: I used 49th's Sidama Wottona Bultuma for testing @ a grind setting of 28 on the Maestro.  Measurements were 76g/L.  First impressions: acidity is a lot more pronounced that other French pressed-coffee I've had; the cup incredibly clean (way less sediment, even less than Mark Prince's modded technique).  I'm liking what I'm tasting so far!  However, I think I'll have to run a blind taste test w/ a control when I have the time, just so I'm not experiencing the placebo effect or anything.
philopsych

Espresso: Krups Mini (steam)
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Melitta cone
Roaster: n/a
Posted Sat Nov 27, 2010, 5:55pm

This thread has me excited and ready to experiment (as I say here: "upgrading and experimenting with multiple variables in full immersion brewing" ).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294965982437)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+