Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Considering new grinder, can't find reviews for these...
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Considering new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jakemtl

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010, 7:36am
Subject: Considering new grinder, can't find reviews for these...

I am considering one of the following grinders and can't find reviews for them. I was hoping folks on this forum could provide some input and advice.

Espressione Professional Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
Click Here (www.costco.ca)

Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder
Click Here (www.amazon.ca)

All opinions and suggestions welcome!

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
joatmon

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010, 9:36am
Subject: Re: Considering new grinder, can't find reviews for these...

Removed
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010, 10:22am

As joat said, if quality espresso is the goal here, PASS . . .

In the $80 and under price territory, you're looking at new or used hand grinders.  Period.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jakemtl

Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010, 10:30am

I make my own pods and use them in a single serve Senseo machine. Thanks for your input. Does this change your opinion?
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010, 10:47am

jakemtl Said:

Does this change your opinion?

Posted November 18, 2010 link

It does indeed, so I would move this discussion to the coffee forum (it is currently in an espresso category).  
EDIT - post moved to coffee machines and brewing methods

As far as the grinders, you might also consider going to www.baratza.com and checking to see if they have any factory refurb grinders available.  The Baratza grinders in that price range do a very doo job for drip and presspot brewed coffees.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010, 12:16pm

jakemtl Said:

I make my own pods and use them in a single serve Senseo machine. Thanks for your input.

The grinder will need to create a fairly uniform size (pop open a pod and you will see the grind is finer than store ground drip) without producing too many fines (coffee dust) as this will choke the machine resulting in either no flow or much slower than usual flow with a not as good tasting cup compared to what even size grounds can provide. The Baratza ($99 at The Coffee Artisan - probably 10% off as well around Thanks Giving if the normal holiday sale pattern holds) will do a good job for only a couple dollars more than either of those grinders you mention.  He sells some nice pods too if you want a break from "rolling your own" every now and then.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010, 3:01pm

Off the subject of the grinder, but why not get the Presto My pod replacement system for your Senseo.  It does away with the need to use pods altogether, though you do have to use little filter discs (a cinch to make if you can't find them).  Amazon should still have some of these, and they're about ten bucks.
jakemtl

Posted Fri Nov 19, 2010, 8:28am

I do make my own pods, thus the question about the grinder.

On the subject of Baratza - which model do you guys think would be best to pair up with my Senseo?

Thanks again for all your help.
maney

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Nov 28, 2010, 10:14pm

I've seen a couple of reviews of the Bodum Bistro, which come down to it being the replacement for the discontinued Antigua grinder, and apparently a worthy one that fixes some of the annoyances (I remember that "less noisy" was mentioned).  Google should turn them up for you - that's how I unearthed 'em.

I think I would still have chosen the Baratza Maestro which I've had for two months now.  At the time the Bistro wasn't even a threat on the horizon, so I was looking at the Maestro or the Capresso Infinity (no 'spro here, just drip brewing), and as I am the only consumer, and my customary two cups per day are almost always two different beans, the Maestro's often mentioned minimal grounds retention won the day.  I also found that at least at this low end of the line the refurb would actually cost more than a new one after S&H was considered - I know folks who got a good deal on one of the pricier models there.  For me getting a simple on/off switch in place of the timer and doser pushbutton was a plus that saved me money I might otherwise have spent on the Maestro Plus.  Dunno if that would be the right decision for your use.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Nov 28, 2010, 10:30pm

bodum_fanatic Said:

Off the subject of the grinder, but why not get the Presto My pod replacement system for your Senseo.  It does away with the need to use pods altogether, though you do have to use little filter discs (a cinch to make if you can't find them).  Amazon should still have some of these, and they're about ten bucks.

+1

the Presto MyPod adapter is a nice device to use with the Senseo

I posted this somewhere else but it fits here too.

Presto MyPod 09402 - coffee machine pod holder

I guess in the fast paced SSC world this Senseo Adapter from Presto would be considered vintage. Right now Ebay has them for sale often enough for 10 - 12 bucks shipped - some new, most lightly used. These will make a decent cup of coffee in the Senseo brewer if a little care is taken. I don't overfill, I don't tamp, but I do grind very fine (these have a paper disc that goes between the coffee and the filter screen) for decent results on the smaller 4 fl oz cup setting. The crema is lost with this method but the strength in the cup ramps up with regard to body and mouth feel without any sediment to muddy the bright notes the Senseo machine brings out so well. If you use a Senseo this is a nice alternative to stuffing a home made pod that might or might not allow for a good seal around the brew head gasket/pod tray junction and will certainly impart a hint of undesirable flavor from the excess filter paper. Presto still sells the small paper filter discs in packs of 100 for a buck and change plus shipping.

I think Mark Prince likes this adapter too in the review link below.  I wonder if it is the same Mark Prince from this forum

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Considering new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310623168945)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+