Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Well, it's about time to get a Vac-Pot.  What would you recommend?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Well, it's about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
iginfect
iginfect
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Wed Jul 14, 2010, 4:45pm
Subject: Re: Well, it's about time to get a Vac-Pot.  What would you recommend?

I use a Zojirushi water heater to give me 208 degF water when I arise. The glass rod-Cory? I can't remember doesn't allow sediment but rarely all the coffee doesn't go back south, I gently rotate the rod and can get a minimum of sediment when the coffee goes down. I'm on my second rod, the second was cheaper on sleazebay, the first from some co. I found on the internet and paid about twice the price. the cheaper one almost never stalls, the fancier one did often and got replaced.
Using preheated water on a very low flame doesn't give me any plastic melting or softening after over 2 years.

Marvin
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Jul 14, 2010, 4:57pm

derevaun Said:

One issue that I've had with the Yama is that the plastic handle has deformed nearest the base, due to heat from my gas burner. I doubt that would be a problem with a ceramic top, but I do know that a ceramic top range takes a long time to boil water when the bottom of the pot isn't totally flat on the surface.
And, if you use a really tinkery vacpot brewing style, you might want a more responsive heat control than ceramic (in my unhappy experience) can give you. Since open flame is out, and thus the tabletop model is out, I think those issues could be abided.

Posted July 14, 2010 link

Why is an open flame out?
Use a stand like this one for only $12.95! & an adjustable flame fondue dish alcohol burner, or this cool one here for only $7.95! pictured below.

See my burner in this thread here: "Re: Alcohol to burn for vac pot heater"

CraigA: MicroLabStand.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Jul 14, 2010, 5:17pm

My vac pot stand & burner

CraigA: Pict0306.jpg
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Jul 14, 2010, 5:17pm

Bodum stand & burner, old style Yama vacuum pot & Cory rod.

CraigA: Pict0196.jpg
(Click for larger image)

ljcoffeeguy

Espresso: Vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: Compak K10 (Wega Max 6.8)
Drip: Espro Press, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: RK Drum, SC/TO
Posted Wed Jul 14, 2010, 6:17pm

Craig -
Nice pics of your setup - thanks for sharing.

I would like to have a burner setup like you, but with a 1 1/2 year old and 3 1/2 year old at home, open flames are out (unless I brew out in the garage).

Thanks for all the wonderful comments and recommendations!   Looks like I will be buying one of the Yama vac-pots from Amazon soon, as well as trying to find a good cory rod..any one here have one for sale cheap?  Like one of the previous messages, those rods look perverse...ha!

Darren

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Jul 14, 2010, 11:50pm
Subject: Re: Well, it's about time to get a Vac-Pot.  What would you recommend? is

Hi, ljcoffeeguy

If you have kids around and are rightly worried about open flames, sadly a Vac-pot may not be something you'd want anyway.  They are inherently unstable when brewing with a lot of the weight in the top globe, so you'd need to keep it well out of harms way irrespective of how you heat it because of the risk of toppling some very hot water.  The simple stove top models are possibly worse in this regard as opposed to table top models which have some form of stand, but neither is good with kids around.

It's a shame because they make - in my view - the best brewed coffee around once you get the hang of them.

I've only owned 2 - the Bodum one broke fairly quickly (may have been my carelessness rather than any manufacturing fault) and I didn't really like the filter.

The Cona is much better device, and has a glass rod filter that is designed specifically for it.  The question was asked earlier about how much sediment it allows through.  There is some very fine "silt" - I reckon slightly less than I get using a gold filter in a drip machine. I've never had a "stall" either.

In terms of your "bang for the buck" the Cona is easily the most expensive if you go for the stylish table-top models, but the "kitchen" models are quite a bit cheaper. On the other hand, they are very good quality glass, and as all parts are easy to replace in the case of accidents you can view it as a very long term purchase.  Look around - you'll find them still in use from the early part of the last century.
mga63m

Espresso: electric, bialetti, seb moka
Grinder: seb
Vac Pot: bodum, cona
Drip: french cafieiere,
Roaster: nope
Posted Sat Jul 17, 2010, 10:11pm

I finally picked up a bodum electric "santos" on ebay after reading acres of hard luck stories in the reviews

...the only practical vacuum pot with kids; great coffee; fantastic rude noise as it blows the water through; cabaret for dinner guests. It is so simple and fantastically user friendly that I can see the temptation to use it daily, but wouldn't rely on it given others' experience.

...but it is a kitchen appliance rather than  chemistry experiment which the conas are which makes you just want to blearily switch it on every morning.

60 pounds for a new one - worth it for a years customer support and great coffee ??- even if its landfill after that ??

mine is used only when entertaining and I've three of four to make coffee for... and watch for inevitable raised eyebrows as they taste coffee like never before
jclgan
jclgan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Infuser BES840XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Wed Jul 28, 2010, 12:28am

@ljcoffeeguy I hope I'm not hijacking your post, but I'm current in a similar situation.  I've been interested in vac pots for some time now after trying out the brewed coffee at a couple local cafés here in Vancouver.  

To the people of the CG foruns: I'm currently caught between getting either a Yama TCA-3 or a Hario NCA-3, and adding the option of a butane burner.The Yama + burner combo would cost me $125, where the Hario + cloth filters + burner would cost $50 more!  Is there any particular reason to favour the Hario over the Yama (i.e. in terms of build quality, different in tasting notes)?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Well, it's about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314202785492)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+