Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bellman CX25
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bellman CX25  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
canuk_guy
canuk_guy
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barista
Vac Pot: Moka Pot, Bellman, Coffee...
Posted Thu Aug 6, 2009, 9:19am
Subject: Bellman CX25

Hello all,

This is my first post here, so if I'm in the wrong area for this or need to learn some site etiquette just let me know.

I've already tried to do a search on the Bellman here and did not come up with much information.

Here's what I'm after.

I have one of these babies and so far I'm getting along with it pretty well.  I have followed the instructions and have managed to produce an 'OK' coffee like substance.  And that's what I'm getting.  It's more coffee like that heading to espresso.  I know this unit will not give me a true espresso, but I was thinking it might do better than my moka pot (which I love btw).

So, what are all of you doing to get the most out of your Bellman, or similar type of gear?  Let me know.

Cheers,  Guy
aka canuk_guy

“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”
~Mark Twain
 View Profile Link to this post
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Thu Aug 6, 2009, 1:22pm
Subject: Re: Bellman CX25

It is a fine looking little unit, good quality materials, it appears.    

I have no experience with stove tops like that but for starters, I would submit that much the same guidance for them is the same as for espresso machines proper.  

Make sure the bean quality is there and the coffee is not stale...more than two weeks from roast date.   That done, the grinder is going to be a key to maximizing the quality of your brew.  You are going to need a burr grinder, and grind fresh when you brew.  Pre-ground coffee will probably not get you where you want to go.   If you follow those two rules, you should find the sweet spot for your Bellman.
canuk_guy
canuk_guy

Posted Thu Aug 6, 2009, 9:03pm

Hey Breeze,

Thanks for the input.

I do have burr grinder and I grind my beans as I need them.  I was thinking the results I was getting from the Bellman were pretty weak, so I gave those same beans a go in my moka pot.  Much much better there.  So the beans are ok.  Makes up pretty darn good in the moka pot actually.  I was hoping that the Bellman would be capable of at least moka pot strength results.  So far I haven't been able to get there.

I'm currently grinding the coffee to a salt like consistency.  Wondering which direction to go with that ... coarser ... finer ... or is there some other variable I can play with first.

Anyone?

Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy

“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”
~Mark Twain
Breeze
Breeze

Posted Fri Aug 7, 2009, 2:29am

canuk_guy Said:

I'm currently grinding the coffee to a salt like consistency.  Wondering which direction to go with that ... coarser ... finer ... or is there some other variable I can play with first.
Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy

Posted August 6, 2009 link

Just for chuckles I'd go with a much finer grind, experiment and then back off, if necessary.   I don't know if this unit will "choke", or not or if using too fine a grind could result in any unexpected "events", but I'd go finer.
Breeze
Breeze

Posted Fri Aug 7, 2009, 2:32am

Also...you didn't mention bean freshness.  Even with the finest espresso machine on the planet, stale beans produce dishwater shots.    I would try to get some beans roasted, like yesterday, to see how that affects your cup.    As beans age, it is normal to chase the age by grinding ever finer.
canuk_guy
canuk_guy

Posted Fri Aug 7, 2009, 7:09pm

I buy my beans by the bag and truth be told have no idea how "old" they are.  I've been trying to source better and better coffee all the time.  I should have purchased some yesterday when I was out at Java Jamboree in Cochrane (just outside of Calgary).  They carry 49th Parallel coffee there.  There are a few roasters in town here and picking up an espresso blend might be in order.

All the same I can't see the results being that much different given the same beans.  I have benchmarked them using my moka pot as the reference point.  The coffee comes out pretty decent from my moka pot using those beans.  I was hoping the Bellman could approach that, or exceed it.  So far, no joy.

Cheers, Guy

~Mark Twain
canuk_guy
canuk_guy

Posted Sun Aug 9, 2009, 3:02pm

Had a little more success with the Bellman today.  I used the finest grind my grinder would produce and tapped it down a in the basket by tapping the basket on the counter to get it settle in.   Top it up a little more and tap tap tap.  Once it was levelled off I put it through it's cycle.  The extract came out pretty well this time around.

Question though ... when I open the coffee valve I get a *lot* of steam coming through.  It's more like a rush of steam with coffee than a flow.  Is that normal for this thing?  I expected it to be more of a flow of coffee and then steam sputtering at the end.

Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy

~Mark Twain
canuk_guy
canuk_guy

Posted Mon Aug 10, 2009, 8:30am

canuk_guy Said:

Question though ... when I open the coffee valve I get a *lot* of steam coming through.  It's more like a rush of steam with coffee than a flow.  Is that normal for this thing?  I expected it to be more of a flow of coffee and then steam sputtering at the end.

Posted August 9, 2009 link

I think I found the answer to my question.  I was rooting through the box the Bellman came in going over the instructions and parts diagram and I came across another rubber washer of sorts.  It's a cylindrical little devil.  After rolling it around in my hand for a bit and pondering, I think I found its place.

Popped in into the Bellman this morning and no more steam with coffee.  Strength of coffee had a marked increase as well even though I messed up on the grind (had it set to coarse for my moka pot yesterday and forgot to change the setting).  I would say it turned out pretty much equal to my moka pot in strength of flavour and maybe a little stronger.

So now if I get my grind right I should have this little baby purring along in no time at all.

Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy

~Mark Twain
canuk_guy
canuk_guy

Posted Wed Aug 12, 2009, 10:31am

I'm still messing with my Bellman.  Where I had thought that gasket would go really isn't it's proper place.  Works like a darn there though.  I just might source me one to put there.  With a little figuring I found it's place, well I'm pretty sure I found it's place.  Unfortunately, in it's place it doesn't do much.   I'm getting steam - coffee again.

So my question is this ... at the top of the basket is there a gasket of sorts that goes between the top lid screen and the basket?

Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy

~Mark Twain
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Aug 14, 2009, 12:52pm

I can't say I've got one, but I can google.  Have you looked at this picture?

http://www.fantes.com/bellman-parts.html
Roy
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bellman CX25  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301110029221)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+