Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aeropress filter: Poly vs Swiss Gold vs?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
avaserfi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 3:48am
Subject: Re: Aeropress filter: Poly vs Swiss Gold vs?

IMAWriter Said:

I don't believe solder is anything you'd want in contact with higher temp liquids and/or food sources prior to entering your oral cavity.
At least I wouldn't.

Posted April 15, 2010 link

Why? There are plenty of food safe options designed for plumbing. Plumbers solder copper together for potable water and home brewers (beer) do the same for kettle modifications, I know I did with my boil kettle.
 View Profile Link to this post
iginfect
iginfect

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 2:45pm

I certainly wouldn't want any acid solution(brewing coffee) in contact with lead. Not the same as cold water flowing rapidly through copper pipes.

Marvin
avaserfi

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 2:55pm

iginfect Said:

I certainly wouldn't want any acid solution(brewing coffee) in contact with lead. Not the same as cold water flowing rapidly through copper pipes.

Marvin

Posted April 16, 2010 link

Certainly no one would want lead in contact with their water source or coffee brewing, but there are plenty of food safe solders available (i.e., they are lead free).

Click Here (www.lowes.com)

First item I found online with lead free solder.

So, am I still left wondering, what is wrong with soldering the mesh? Assuming of course, one uses the appropriate materials for the job.
SwingT

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 7:02pm

avaserfi Said:

So, am I still left wondering, what is wrong with soldering the mesh? Assuming of course, one uses the appropriate materials for the job.

Posted April 16, 2010 link

Depends on the specific properties of the stainless steel used in the mesh.

Often, SS does better with brazing (silver solder) which requires a higher temperature which conceivably could burn up the mesh -

I know just enough about this to be able to say, I'm not sure you can readily ( or simply) solder this particular mesh.

OTOH, someone with the proper torch and supplies may well be able to readily do so.

I suspect that if someone does it on the first attempt - they're going to have some depth of knowledge in the field.
CheapBastid

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 7:07pm
Subject: Re: Aeropress filter: Gold?

I don't mean to raise up a zombie thread, but I wonder if anyone has a more affordable option for a gold filter than the able version?
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 9:04am

Any particular reason it has to be gold?  The S/S Kaffelogie S filter or the standard Able disks are much much cheaper than this.  Using the inverted technique the filter doesn't stay in contact with the filter for very long at all (just the duration of the press out), and I'm damn sure I won't taste the difference.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 9:12am

dyqik Said:

Any particular reason it has to be gold?

Posted February 4, 2013 link

It doesn't have to be gold.
They state on their website why they made a limited number of gold Kaffelogie Aeropress filters: "We started making these gold edition filters for winners of barista competitions. After receiving some requests to purchase them we had a handful made."

Like the Swissgold 24K solid gold plated filters, they are totally non-reactive & neutral & that eliminates every influence on taste like a stainless filter may impart to the finished brew.

Other than that, I suppose it would be for the person who doesn't quite have EVERYTHING lol..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CheapBastid

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 9:33am

CraigA Said:

Like the Swissgold 24K solid gold plated filters, they are totally non-reactive & neutral & that eliminates every influence on taste like a stainless filter may impart to the finished brew.

This.

While I am my handle/nickname I do like to reduce the variables (especially the negative ones) and I figure that for the 100s of times a permanent filter is to be used having a non-reactive one makes it worthwhile.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:34am

But how important are potential reactions between S/S and coffee, when it's only in contact with the brewed coffee for 15-20 seconds?  (This might be different in a drip machine or pourover, where you might be in contact with the coffee for 4 minutes or so).   Does it actually make any difference to the taste in the cup, or is it just a placebo shiny thing?

The reason I'm thinking about this is that espresso baskets are all S/S, and I've never come across a gold plated one of those (I suppose I'll now have to hit up google for that).
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:46am

CheapBastid Said:

This.

While I am my handle/nickname I do like to reduce the variables (especially the negative ones) and I figure that for the 100s of times a permanent filter is to be used having a non-reactive one makes it worthwhile.

I hear you on that Robert, & if I had the spare money I'd probably get it too. {;-)

For the amount of contact time depending on amount of coffee to water ratio, fineness/coarseness of grind (30 seconds to 2 minutes or so), being able to detect any appreciable metallic taste (ss Kafeologie are top grade 18/8 grade stainless steel) as compared to the gold plated., I'd like to hear about any documented brewing sessions comparing the two.

I could see a tactile detected taste difference with a cheap stainless steel coffee carafe as compared to a top grade quality one as coffee could be sitting in them for who knows how long! That would be comparing coffee contact time of - 2 mins of an Aeropress versus possible hrs for a ss carafe for someone.

Addendum: Or as dyqik says, a ss drip basket versus a gold plated one.

P.S. I was composing this post before I saw dyqik's post above.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361952066422)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+