Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aeropress filter: Poly vs Swiss Gold vs?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
avaserfi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Posted Thu Apr 8, 2010, 8:11pm
Subject: Re: Aeropress filter: Poly vs Swiss Gold vs?

Part 9317T153 25 for $14.02.

Would that work well?
 View Profile Link to this post
glennk

Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Technivorm CDT, Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Apr 9, 2010, 9:34am

For anyone considering the poly felt route, over on Green Coffee Buying Club they are collaborating to produce some pre-cut, food grade polyfelt filters. I'm guessing more interest would be welcome, since the material comes in VERY large rolls. Someone already has the machine to cut them precisely. It sounds like it's just a matter of getting enough interest to justify the cost and effort.
MikeX

Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Apr 9, 2010, 1:01pm

glennk Said:

For anyone considering the poly felt route, over on Green Coffee Buying Club they are collaborating to produce some pre-cut, food grade polyfelt filters. I'm guessing more interest would be welcome, since the material comes in VERY large rolls. Someone already has the machine to cut them precisely. It sounds like it's just a matter of getting enough interest to justify the cost and effort.

Posted April 9, 2010 link

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is exactly what I need; someone else to do the cutting :)

I will login and check it out.
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Fri Apr 9, 2010, 6:38pm

randytsuch Said:

Wondering why you picked 270 mesh?

Is that the mesh size that the gold filters use?

They also have 200 mesh, in 2 9/16 diameter circles.  The Aeropress filters are 2.5 in diameter, but for some reason they don't have 2.5 in, just 2 9/16.

Posted April 8, 2010 link

I believe 270 is the finest mesh available before the price takes a jump, but certainly one can go finer. The finest meshes are rather fragile, though.

Don't know the hole size of gold filters (which are built differently than the wire cloth that McMaster sells). Clovers, by way of comparison, use relatively coarse 70-100 mesh filters.

Mcmaster will quote special orders. You could call them and ask for a quote on 2.5" circles in whatever mesh size you desire. They will go back to the manufacturer and try and get it for you.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Fri Apr 9, 2010, 6:40pm

avaserfi Said:

Part 9317T153 25 for $14.02.

Would that work well?

Posted April 8, 2010 link

It'll work fine after you trim it down to size.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
MikeX

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010, 5:57am

So I got my Swiss Gold knock off in the mail and I cut a filter out of one side. I've used it a few times and I like it but can't say it's better than the paper filter. The real test will be when my new Baratza grinder comes in on Monday and I can get a proper grind. I am surprised that I'm not getting much mud in the bottom of the cup with a whirly grind. I suspect it will be almost a no-mud cup with the new grinder.

I also have a few new coffees coming from Sweet Maria's so I'll be in super coffee nerd mode for the next couple of weeks.
PeaberryPicker
PeaberryPicker
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Astoria CKE, Faem E91
Grinder: Nova Simonelli MDX, Capresso...
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Bonmac, Beehouse, Melitta
Roaster: Counter Culture Coffee
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010, 6:49pm

There is a good reason why you don't get as much dust in the liquid (compared to French Press).  A bed of coffee grounds collects at the bottom of the Areopress, and acts a little like a log jam, or beaver dam.  Dust in the coffee has difficulty migrating through the bed, and mostly gets trapped on one side of the coffee bed.  So the coffee becomes it's own filter.

In French Pressed coffee, the filter comes down from the top.  Coffee grounds begin to sink earlier on in the steep time, gravity is pulling them down,  and there is much less coffee blocking the passage of dust through the screen and into the liquid.

Most any non paper filter method does a better job of separation than the French Press (Vac/Siphon pot, gold cone, Areopress with metal screen, even a percolator).

Check out this macro for a good look at where the fines end up resting in the Areopress.
MikeX

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010, 7:19pm

Wow, that's an amazing pic. No question where the fines go now :)

Although I haven't done back to back cupings, the gold filter in the Aeropress is almost like a cross between a paper filter Aeropress and a french press which is pretty much what I wanted. The couple of times I tried a french press it seemed a little to "dirty" of a cup. But, that was using coffee ground with a whirly so I should probably try again when I get my Baratza.
SEC

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010, 8:30pm

andys Said:

I believe 270 is the finest mesh available before the price takes a jump, but certainly one can go finer. The finest meshes are rather fragile, though.

Don't know the hole size of gold filters (which are built differently than the wire cloth that McMaster sells). Clovers, by way of comparison, use relatively coarse 70-100 mesh filters.

Mcmaster will quote special orders. You could call them and ask for a quote on 2.5" circles in whatever mesh size you desire. They will go back to the manufacturer and try and get it for you.

Posted April 9, 2010 link

You could order any size filter paper or metal sieve that you like from a scientific supplier like Fisher, down to 20 microns (632 mesh).  Specialized filters finer than this exist but I don't know of metal sieves that are finer.  It would be interesting if someone ordered a bunch of different size sieves and did a detailed comparison.  I assume this type of thing is done regularly inside big coffeemaker manufacturers.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010, 9:21pm

avaserfi Said:

Do you do any soldering or work to the edges to prevent fraying? or just cut and go?

Posted April 6, 2010 link

I don't believe solder is anything you'd want in contact with higher temp liquids and/or food sources prior to entering your oral cavity.
At least I wouldn't.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34627199173)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+