Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aeropress filter: Poly vs Swiss Gold vs?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MikeX

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Apr 5, 2010, 8:11pm
Subject: Aeropress filter: Poly vs Swiss Gold vs?

I am a very happy Aeropress user who has been using one 5-7 mornings a week to brew coffee. I'm 16oz/one a day/brew mostly at work kinda guy and the Aeropress is the ideal brewer for me. Small, light, easy to use and even easier to clean up.

I've gotten to the point with my coffee habit where I want to experiment with different filters I've read about on this site and it seems like cutting my own poly or swiss gold are the top options. Before I spend $30 on a swiss gold that I'm going to cut I was looking for some feedback on both filter types. I've read a bunch posts on here but wanted some fresh opinions. My goal is to try something more french press like but with the convenience of the Aeropress.

It sounds like the swiss gold will be more reusable and easier to clean whereas the poly will probably have to be thrown out after a bunch of uses but the poly is a cheaper experiment  Has anyone tried both swiss gold AND poly? Are the tastes similar?

If there are any other good filter options I wouldn't mind hearing about those either.

Thanks, Mike E

PS. I'm also about to buy a Baratza grinder to compliment my new filter so don't be concerned about the whirly blade listed in my profile :)
 View Profile Link to this post
SwingT

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Tue Apr 6, 2010, 2:24pm
Subject: Re: Aeropress filter: Poly vs Swiss Gold vs?

I'm thinking about getting an Aeropress - and haven't had time to do as much searching as I would like -

so I'm hoping you will get some responses to your thread - I would have already picked one up if I had figured out the filter solution.
PeaberryPicker
PeaberryPicker
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Astoria CKE, Faem E91
Grinder: Nova Simonelli MDX, Capresso...
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Bonmac, Beehouse, Melitta
Roaster: Counter Culture Coffee
Posted Tue Apr 6, 2010, 4:07pm

As a less expensive experimental option, you could try one of these filters.

I have never heard anyone say they could tell the difference in flavor between this and a Swiss Gold filter.  If they can, please email me with accurate flavor descriptors and data that is verifiable in a double blind test.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MikeX

Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Apr 6, 2010, 6:45pm

I have always wondered about the non Swiss brand gold filters. I found the one you linked at Abes of Maine for less than $8 shipped; couldn't pass that up. Guess I better buy the new grinder soon.

Since that was so cheap I think I might try the poly too. The only concern with poly is that I've read they tend to get grounds trapped and they are hard to get out. Seems like clean up will be more difficult and they won't last as long as the gold filter.

Thanks for the link Peaberry
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue Apr 6, 2010, 7:10pm

MikeX Said:

If there are any other good filter options I wouldn't mind hearing about those either.

Posted April 5, 2010 link

Go to Mcmaster.com and search for this number:
85385T882

That piece of 270 mesh wire mesh will yield at least 16 Aeropress filters at a very reasonable price. With care they can be used almost indefinitely.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
avaserfi

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Posted Tue Apr 6, 2010, 7:31pm

andys Said:

85385T882

That piece of 270 mesh wire mesh will yield at least 16 Aeropress filters at a very reasonable price. With care they can be used almost indefinitely.

Posted April 6, 2010 link

Do you do any soldering or work to the edges to prevent fraying? or just cut and go?
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue Apr 6, 2010, 7:57pm

avaserfi Said:

Do you do any soldering or work to the edges to prevent fraying? or just cut and go?

That would be a nice idea, then the filter will probably last for years.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
glennk

Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Technivorm CDT, Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Apr 6, 2010, 8:53pm

I have an Aeropress on the way and am also looking at filter options. The guys over at Green Coffee Buying Club forum rave about a polyfelt filter. I've inquired as to where to get them or the material to make them but haven't received a reply yet.
  I've also read that soaking the paper filter in water first makes for a better cup, too.
  If anyone has any info on the poly filters, I'd be interested.
SwingT

Posted Thu Apr 8, 2010, 1:13pm

andys Said:

That would be a nice idea, then the filter will probably last for years.

Stainless Steel is more readily done today than in years past - used to be tough to do.

Haven't kept up with new techniques and methods - don't know how hard it is to solder/braise/weld SS today.
randytsuch

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Thu Apr 8, 2010, 6:27pm

andys Said:

85385T882

Wondering why you picked 270 mesh?

Is that the mesh size that the gold filters use?

They also have 200 mesh, in 2 9/16 diameter circles.  The Aeropress filters are 2.5 in diameter, but for some reason they  don't have 2.5 in, just 2 9/16.

Randy
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.360329151154)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+