Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Chemex Size Recommendation
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Chemex Size...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kenyabob

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:43pm
Subject: Chemex Size Recommendation

I lost my french press recently in a move, and while I slowly search for it wherever it went, I thought I would compliment my collection with a Chemex. People seem to be pretty amazed by it around here.

I had a eight cup french press, which always did quite well, though there was always something left at the bottom. Since there are two of us, and we each tend to do two or maybe three cups, I thought the six would be perfect, but I also want to be able to handle guests without having to go three rounds with the kettle.

My question is, is there any distinct disadvantage going for the eight or even the ten with the Chemex if typically I will only be pouring for six? Does it matter to the Chemex how much I make? The thing seems to be such a perfect system, I don't really want to mess with it!
 View Profile Link to this post
kenyabob

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:47pm
Subject: Re: Chemex Size Recommendation

A further wrinkle in this is that Bodum Eight Cup claims to make 32 oz of coffee, while the Chemex Six Cup description includes that it brew thirty ounces. French pressers must have smaller cups.
Cracklebox
Cracklebox
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Graziella lever
Grinder: Vario, Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 3&5, press (hario,...
Drip: chemex, CCD, V60, bonmac
Roaster: Behmor, popper
Posted Fri Jan 22, 2010, 3:06am

The cup measurement is totally inconsistent across different brewing methods.  It's kinda funny to see people review a product poorly based on their being confused about its capacity, but it is pretty confusing.  It would be nice to see a list of the various brewing vessels and how they measure a "cup": chemex, vacpot, mokapot, press, drip machine etc.  Different brands and different countries might have different standards too.  

Anyway, with my experience with the Chemex, I started with the 10-cup and switched to the 8-cup.  I found the cup amounts to be pretty meaningless since it can be pretty hard to brew a full carafe, managing brew time and heat loss.  Admittedly, I could do a little more experimentation with coarser a grind but I couldn't really get a good full pot of coffee with the 10-cup.  Also, I thought its larger size (surface area) might contribute to more heat loss, which is a problem with the Chemex.

The reasons I don't think the sizes mean much:  I think that generally, you won't be brewing coffee as high as the tip of the filter, so I don't think the reservoir is used to its maximum.  The top part will have more capacity for larger sizes, so this could make a difference, but if you're really trying to get a full pot you'll be adding water in increments anyway, so I don't think this makes much of a difference either.  I guess the fact that the carafe is bigger should mean you can make more coffee but in my experience, it's heat loss and over extraction that get in the way.  I'll experiment a little more with a coarser grind and incremented pour.

I've never tried the 6-cup size, but I like the 8-cup and would suggest this for you although you might have to brew a second carafe, depending on the size of your 'cups'.  I think the 8-cup is a good all purpose size.

I'm curious if anyone else has the same experience I've had.  I'm certainly not an authority on pour over brewing and I haven't used it much lately, opting for the french press more often.
-daniel
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Jan 22, 2010, 4:22pm

Most "cup" measurments -- uh, wait a minute; let me start over -- most coffee cup measurements are not based upon the coffee mugs commonly used in the US, but rather something much smaller -- think cup-and-saucer from a set of fine china.  Thus, Chemex (and Technivorm) considers FIVE ounces to be one cup.

I have a Chemex 6, and it's really only brews 2.5 mugs (kinda, sorta), so I, too, would suggest getting the 8-cup version.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Sat Jan 23, 2010, 9:15pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Most "cup" measurments -- uh, wait a minute; let me start over -- most coffee cup measurements
Jason

Posted January 22, 2010 link

These appear about right ;-]

gime2much: 20_what_size_cups.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Dan Brewer
GarryG

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini II
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.,Breville
Drip: Chemex, Krups, Bodum...
Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:33pm

I'd agree that the 8-cup Chemex is the right size if you're wanting 4-6 cups at a time.  The 10-cup does tend to lose heat, though with careful application of heat during the drip process, that can be managed.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Chemex Size...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25234413147)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+