Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn A10 trouble I hope to resolve
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn A10 trouble...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
eggs
eggs
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 21, 2010, 4:57am
Subject: Bunn A10 trouble I hope to resolve

Brand new signed up in hopes of receiving an answer to my issue with my Bunn A10.  I bought it new about 8 years ago. Great machine not the automatic one but the pour over unit. I use it pretty much once a day before I leave for work.  I've replaced the warmer plate and other than that it's been bullet proof. So that's that background.

The trouble is when I go to dump the grounds I've started noticing that only half of them are wet. Normally the left side as  you face the machine.

What I've tried to correct this so far is
Remove the spray head to be sure the five holes are clear, they are.
Run a plastic zip tie up the siphon tube to be sure it was not clogged.

None of this worked to resolve the issue.  Anyone have any ideas. I looked over at Bunn's web site for troubleshoot tips and this was not one of the many listed with a solution. Seems more peopel have issues with this thing overflowing than under flowing.

Thanks
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gime2much

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Thu Jan 21, 2010, 11:10am
Subject: Re: Bunn A10 trouble I hope to resolve

More info please.  Do this carefully as dealing with 200f water can cause pain.

Leave the grind basket out and run some water thru the machine while holding a container to catch it. Observe the spray pattern as it exits the head.

Try that then tell us more.

Dan Brewer
 View Profile Link to this post
eggs
eggs

Posted Thu Jan 21, 2010, 1:31pm

I also email support at Bunn. Never have I contacted them before. Was very surprised to get a call back within a hour or so. Nice company.

They suggested that it's the hole that the water drains into the tank In the PDF it's called a Fitting SLTD - Tank Inlet . He said the water pressure draining into the tank via this inlet is what forces the water out of the tank. If it is blocked with calcium then the water pressure would be low do to this the restriction in the inlet.  I need to take the top off when I get home and look at that.

He suggested running some vinegar through the machine also but I'm a bit worried that will leave an after taste.
gime2much

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Thu Jan 21, 2010, 1:55pm

Nah..just a hellava lot of rinsing. Citric acid (sour salt) is the preferred descaler and very cheap. 2 tablespoons to a quart of hot water, let it sit overnight, rinse a couple of times and all will be well.

Dan Brewer
eggs
eggs

Posted Fri Jan 22, 2010, 4:42am

I took the cover off and looked at the inlet. It is a big hole I'd surprised if it could get plugged. Mine was clean as a whistle, by the way.

Ran a pot though with the basket off and a bowl  under the spray head to catch the water. It was pretty weak and rarely did it spray. Most of the time it just dribbled out and made a stream off the center of the spray head.

Where do you get Citric Acid. Is that in the baking section of a grocery store????
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Fri Jan 22, 2010, 10:55pm

eggs Said:

I took the cover off and looked at the inlet. It is a big hole I'd surprised if it could get plugged. Mine was clean as a whistle, by the way.

Posted January 22, 2010 link

HI eggs...
Yeah most grocers would have it.

The top of the tube is not the issue, but minerals build up down inside. I've run the same spring-thing through the top opening as I run backwards up through the head. And I run them all the way as far as I can...and work them in a bit when they meet resistance.

Our is going on 12 years old and still working fine - the 20 year old version is in the RV serving us well there. Periodic cleanings serve them well.

`

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
eggs
eggs

Posted Mon Jan 25, 2010, 5:06am

Well I couldn't find Citric Acid so went the vinegar route. Holy man what a difference. I guess I need to do this a little more often then once every 8 years :) I'll add this task to my semi annual smoke detector battery change list.

Thanks for the inputs
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn A10 trouble...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259054899216)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+