Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
grinder recommendation
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
ShortyW

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010, 7:34pm
Subject: grinder recommendation

I have a Krups blade grinder, but it appears to be almost inoperable now.  I can sometimes get it to turn for a couple of revolutions, and then it stops.  Something is causing it to operate very intermittently.  Since the warranty has expired, I am looking into replacing it.

I am currently using the following for brewing coffee:
1) Cuisinart drip coffee maker
2) Aeropress

I use the aeropress when I am trying to make myself a mocha.  I don't use the aeropress all of the time since it uses up a lot of beans.

I typically make two cups of coffee a day.  Given my pattern of usage, should I get the Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder?  What do you recommend?  Also, if I am grinding only about two cups worth of coffee beans a day, do I need to clean the coffee grinder everyday?

If anyone else has had this kind of problem with the Krups blade grinder, I would be interested in knowing if you were able to fix the problem.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010, 9:08pm
Subject: Re: grinder recommendation

Even if you could fix the Krups blade "chopper," I wouldn't.  Your grinder is the most important piece of equipment you can buy.  What's your budget for a grinder?  (I'd look here.)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
kschendel

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 4:53am

Throw the Krups thing in the garbage, and get either a Baratza Maestro or a Capresso Infinity.  Either one will do a good job for drip and AP.  I'd get the Maestro unless size and appearance is important; the Capresso unit is smaller and sleeker looking, but is reported to retain more grinds.  I have a Maestro which is used mostly for Aeropress, and it does a great job.

And no, I don't think you need to clean the grinder every day, at least not the Maestro.  (Not sure about the Capresso.)  I clean mine out about once a week.
ShortyW

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:03am

kschendel Said:

Throw the Krups thing in the garbage, and get either a Baratza Maestro or a Capresso Infinity.  Either one will do a good job for drip and AP.  I'd get the Maestro unless size and appearance is important; the Capresso unit is smaller and sleeker looking, but is reported to retain more grinds.  I have a Maestro which is used mostly for Aeropress, and it does a great job.

And no, I don't think you need to clean the grinder every day, at least not the Maestro.  (Not sure about the Capresso.)  I clean mine out about once a week.

Posted January 18, 2010 link

Is there any issue with having to shake the unit to get the beans to go down?  I saw some comments about it.
ShortyW

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 10:04am

kschendel Said:

Do you have any issues with having to shake the unit to get the beans to go down?  I saw some user's comments about this issue.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 5:55pm

Baratza Grinders are usually the best bet for a solid grinder, backed by a great company.  Id personally go for the Virtouso, and get a Refurb model from their website(they're often just a demo model, used at a trade show or something).  IIRC, the refurb Virts go for $133

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ShortyW

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 7:22pm

Jmanespresso Said:

Baratza Grinders are usually the best bet for a solid grinder, backed by a great company.  Id personally go for the Virtouso, and get a Refurb model from their website(they're often just a demo model, used at a trade show or something).  IIRC, the refurb Virts go for $133

Isn't the Maestro sufficient if I never plan to make espresso?

I think that I might have to go with Infinity.  I saw some comments that Baratza grinders have problems handling flavored coffee.  It causes jams.  I like flavored coffee.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 8:06pm

ShortyW Said:

I've spent some time with a Maestro and Virtuoso.  The grind from the Virtuoso is noticably better IMO, but everything I've tasted from a Maestro has been solid, so I have no complaints.  If you're willing to spend the extra money then I'd go for it; if you can't justify it then don't.  FWIW, the Virtuoso isn't up to par for espresso; so whether you get a Maestro or Virtuoso it would be how they compare to each other for non espresso brewing.

ShortyW Said:

I think that I might have to go with Infinity.  I saw some comments that Baratza grinders have problems handling flavored coffee.  It causes jams.  I like flavored coffee.

Sorry, but I think "good" coffees have more than enough flavors on their own.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 8:18pm

I don't have any direct experience with the Maestro but I did own a *$ Barista AKA Solis 166.  It is sort of the predecessor of the Maestro.

My sister in law has an Infinity so I have a bit of experience with it.

They are both conical burr grinders of similar design.  The Infinity has a three point upper mount verses a two point mount in the Solis machine.

The more stable burr mount gave a smaller spread of grind size.  The down side of the Infinity is the longer grounds path.  This means more grounds retention.

If we are comparing the old Solis machine (2 point burr mount) to the Infinity I would go with the Infinity.  Baratza has redesigned the Maestro and now it has a three point burr mount.   With that in mind I would go with a Baratza machine.

My son now owns the *$ and grinds beans which look like charcoal briquettes.  He frequently clogs the machine up.  The poor thing is having a hard life.

I am guessing here but I think flavored coffee is more of a challenge than overroasted beans.

I am guessing that the Infinity with its longer grounds path will have all the clogging problems as the Maestro and then some.  Make sure you get input from someone who has put flavored beans into the infinity.

Phil

ShortyW Said:

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ShortyW

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 8:39pm

PJK Said:

I don't have any direct experience with the Maestro but I did own a *$ Barista AKA Solis 166.  It is sort of the predecessor of the Maestro.

My sister in law has an Infinity so I have a bit of experience with it.

They are both conical burr grinders of similar design.  The Infinity has a three point upper mount verses a two point mount in the Solis machine.

The more stable burr mount gave a smaller spread of grind size.  The down side of the Infinity is the longer grounds path.  This means more grounds retention.

If we are comparing the old Solis machine (2 point burr mount) to the Infinity I would go with the Infinity.  Baratza has redesigned the Maestro and now it has a three point burr mount.   With that in mind I would go with a Baratza machine.

My son now owns the *$ and grinds beans which look like charcoal briquettes.  He frequently clogs the machine up.  The poor thing is having a hard life.

I am guessing here but I think flavored coffee is more of a challenge than overroasted beans.

I am guessing that the Infinity with its longer grounds path will have all the clogging problems as the Maestro and then some.  Make sure you get input from someone who has put flavored beans into the infinity.

Phil

Thanks for the info.  I can live without flavored coffee beans.  The flavoring can be added after brewing.  If I am not concerned about grounds retention, what benefit does Maestro have over Infinity?
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352298974991)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+